acryllic paint question

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmc1

Freakalicious
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm working on a base coat that I really like. After reading the tutorials I am trying to apply it as a wash. I've noticed despite mixing the paint well (at least I thought I did) the wash tends to separate into some of its original colors. I'm not sure what I'm not doing correctly with the paints (liquitex).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi,

I'm working on a base coat that I really like. After reading the tutorials I am trying to apply it as a wash. I've noticed despite mixing the paint well (at least I thought I did) the wash tends to separate into some of its original colors. I'm not sure what I'm not doing correctly with the paints (liquitex).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hmmmmm! yes this does happen if you leave the wash for a long time just mix it again.
But i used to use Liquitex paint and have loads of un-used tubes.
It is just easier to buy Vallejo or citadel to be honest with you.
Or golden paints are far better.
As liquitex are artist paints and are designed to be put on thick when you water them down they often go see through and need many coats.

Also games workshop sell great washes.
I know you get a lot of paint in a tube but i tended to waste more than i actually used.

Here's what I do:
- Raw sienna, Burnt sienna, White (Only a little, it should be a dark tan)
- Water it down
- 2 to 3 light coats (Make sure it dries!)
- Raw, Burnt, White (Now a natural skin tone)
- Lightly dry brush

Sometimes I'll make and even light skin tone and highlight some areas.

Hmmmmm! yes this does happen if you leave the wash for a long time just mix it again.
But i used to use Liquitex paint and have loads of un-used tubes.
It is just easier to buy Vallejo or citadel to be honest with you.
Or golden paints are far better.
As liquitex are artist paints and are designed to be put on thick when you water them down they often go see through and need many coats.

Also games workshop sell great washes.
I know you get a lot of paint in a tube but i tended to waste more than i actually used.

I will check out those others too. Thank you. What about testors Acryll? A friend mentioned those as well.

I only use Liqitex, but you have to get the airbrush medium to thin them. I assume you have the heavy body in the tubes. If you only use water, the pigment separates from the binder. The airbrush medium works well for brush applications also not just airbrush.

I only use Liqitex, but you have to get the airbrush medium to thin them. I assume you have the heavy body in the tubes. If you only use water, the pigment separates from the binder. The airbrush medium works well for brush applications also not just airbrush.

Thanks so much. I am going to try that!

Back