ACI Toys: 1/6 ARAGORN (Improved Production Copy updated!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: ACI Toys: ARAGORN 1/6th Figure

Someday sculpted hair will be a thing of the past.:pray:

I think the headsculpt is dead on. Best Viggo likeness yet (which is tough to do).

It's the paint job that isn't doing it any favors. It looks like he's wearing blush, mascara eye liner and lipstick. I bet some talented painter will take this, repaint it, dirty it up and make the best Aragorn/Strider yet.

I think the headsculpt is dead on. Best Viggo likeness yet (which is tough to do).

It's the paint job that isn't doing it any favors. It looks like he's wearing blush, mascara eye liner and lipstick. I bet some talented painter will take this, repaint it, dirty it up and make the best Aragorn/Strider yet.

you sound different....maybe its maybelline.
hFA626CF0

agreed on all points btw.

@ The Ween - No there is only one sculpt. We addressed our changes before showing the sample.

Don't think I posted these here other than my personal thread but here are some renders of the digital model I did for the figure.

As Bryan mentioned the paint concerns will be addressed for production.

View attachment 132328

View attachment 132329

View attachment 132330

Here it is with a crude hair mock-up...

View attachment 132331

View attachment 132332

Wait.. Is this the same sculpt on the ACI figure? I might have to buy it if that's the case, cause DAMN that looks like Viggo. I did not realise a boardie has made the sculpt. Or is this a personal project?

Maybe it's just me, but I swear some of those pics have a entirely different sculpt in them. That last pic is the best one. The hair does look good there because Viggo always had straggly hair, but a lot of times with hair like that you don't end up with that look.

I agree with you mostly. The latest Thor figure is a good example of sculpted hair gone RIGHT. This looks pretty amazing too though tbh. I would like to see it without make-up. :slap

Why nobody makes a head photo?
I know what bothers me about it. His lover part of the face is more prominent in the movies, that is why this sculpt looks younger. But it could be a matter of the angle too. ACI need to work on presenting their stuff.
View attachment 131971
View attachment 131972

Also, they darkened the 6 or so deeper wrinkles on his forehead fááár too much. Looks completely weird.

Wait.. Is this the same sculpt on the ACI figure? I might have to buy it if that's the case, cause DAMN that looks like Viggo. I did not realise a boardie has made the sculpt. Or is this a personal project?

He is officially sculpting for them.

If you make the highlights in his hair darker, that will make a big difference. The direct light is giving it a light brunette color to the hair.

I was joking... but that was in fact state-of-the-art back then. There was no Hot Toys, or anything else beyond Dragon military figures. That was top of the line 1/6th for an important movie franchise -- Sideshow WAS top of the line. Yes, the paint was crap. But I remember well how we all raved about the sculpt being good once you "shaved" off some of the excess paint apps around the beard. I saved many pictures proving that point. But in no way is it what we would call good or even serviceable now. You have to remember this was 2006. Nobody liked the "mud" hair though. That was one thing we all hated.

I was joking... but that was in fact state-of-the-art back then. There was no Hot Toys, or anything else beyond Dragon military figures. That was top of the line 1/6th for an important movie franchise -- Sideshow WAS top of the line. Yes, the paint was crap. But I remember well how we all raved about the sculpt being good once you "shaved" off some of the excess paint apps around the beard. I saved many pictures proving that point. But in no way is it what we would call good or even serviceable now. You have to remember this was 2006. Nobody liked the "mud" hair though. That was one thing we all hated.

So true. There wasn't really a high end figure market at all "way back then." (Man, that seems bizarre to type!) But this figure was pretty good considering all we had to compare it to were 12-inch Hasbro Star Wars figures.

True, but even most Dragon military figures had better/more detailed sculpts and paint apps than Sideshow figures. I once even did a side by side of a typical Dragon WWII german and a Sideshow figure back then.
Still, I like my Sideshow Aragorn.

man, this thread got me watching the Lord of the RIngs again...now i'm at The Two Towers...can't wait to get that Aragorn figure...anybody POed yet and where?

Aragorn close-up from toyhaven:
View attachment 132851https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-A4EPRgj8e9Q/VAsTMwOuApI/AAAAAAABy1o/nS-GU8gwZg0/s1600/929_stgcc2014.jpg

I think it is OK, just darken the hair already.

I have no idea what to think about that picture.

I think I'm among the few who actually like the real hair. But that expression. It's just peculiar.

Yeah he looks too duckface. Poseur Aragorn.

Back