A good HDTV for Video Games

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darth_Fatso

Super Freak
Reaction score
This may not be the right section to ask this so if it's not, the mods can movie it in the appropriate spot. Anyways I may be considering picking up an HDTV soon mainly to play my 360 in HD but I'm also on a budget as well and cant really afford to spend much over $250 at the moment. Now I've seen some 19" 720p HDTVs at Target and Wal-Mart in my price range, however I just want to know is getting a cheaper HDTV worth the money or should I just save up for a better one?

Also looking at the display TV's at the store, nearly every HDTV including the big $3,000 plus ones seem to be really pixelated, but I've also seen the very same TVs not as pixelated, how do you fix this?

The stores might not be displaying HD video (standard definition is usually always blocky). Also, they rarely use HDMI cables to connect to the output source, so there's another hit in quality. NEVER buy a TV based solely on what the picture looks like in the store.

I would say check reviews on the sets you're interested in... maybe check out avsforum.com, as those supernerds are ridiculous about their electronics. But for any major electronic item, I woulds say you get what you pay for, so it's always good to do your research and pay a little bit more for brand names like Sony.

Regarding specs, I think other people here might be better equipped to discuss that info than I am. If I'm not mistaken, refresh rates are important for LCDs when it comes to a smooth picture, especially for gaming (don't quote me on that though, as I'm not sure). All I know is that the picture on LCDs (to me) is a bit less smooth than on plasmas (I was just playing some PS3 (SFIV) today on a properly calibrated Sony LCD and it was a bit choppy), but LCDs are DEFINITELY the sets to use for gaming... just ask my slightly burned-in (but still awesome) Pioneer plasma. =(

I'm quite fond of my Samsung, but as far as I've read Samsung and Sony are the go-to guys for TVs. But, be aware that the folks at avsforum and hometheaterforum and the like are SUPER nerdy about their sets and can find fault in the ones that are the cream of the crop, so don't let yourself get overwhelmed.

As for my advice, I'd save your money and spring for something bigger. I've got a 32" right now. At 19", it sounds like you'd be sitting pretty close to your TV, and that just seems uncomfortable.

I like plasmas for everything, from regular Hi-Def TV and movies to video games.

No ghosting like some LCDs have with video games, as the action can be to fast for some LCDs. But the new 120 Hz options makes up for it, but makes movies look weird. I really don't like 120Hz LCDs because of what they do to movies.

And the blacks are just better. The LCDs are catching up, but not there yet.

I say a Pioneer Elite, Pioneer, Panasonic, and then Samsung in order from the top down, although the Samsung Plasmas are nothing to scoff at. They have some really nice sets, I just like the Panasonic sets a bit better.

Of course, if you have the cash, nothing beats a Pioneer Elite Plasma TV for the best looking set you can get your hands on.

any mid-range HDTV should be good for gaming as long as you hook up via HDMI.

Might also be worth considering a projector, depending on how much space you have... it'll amplify your gaming experience significantly, especially if it's HD or HD compatible

I was actually just shopping for an HDTV yesterday. C/NET and NewEgg are a good place to go for specs and reviews. Once you type a model you are interested in, google the number and "review" and you'll get a range of stuff to look at.

From my reading, plasmas are generally accepted to be better than LCD TVs, though they can tend to be more expensive. I've also read that the 1080p isn't necessary unless you sit 3-4 feet away from the TV, though maybe someone here who has had both the 720 and 1080 would know better.

I like plasmas for everything, from regular Hi-Def TV and movies to video games.

No ghosting like some LCDs have with video games, as the action can be to fast for some LCDs. But the new 120 Hz options makes up for it, but makes movies look weird. I really don't like 120Hz LCDs because of what they do to movies.

And the blacks are just better. The LCDs are catching up, but not there yet.

I say a Pioneer Elite, Pioneer, Panasonic, and then Samsung in order from the top down, although the Samsung Plasmas are nothing to scoff at. They have some really nice sets, I just like the Panasonic sets a bit better.

Of course, if you have the cash, nothing beats a Pioneer Elite Plasma TV for the best looking set you can get your hands on.

I agree plasmas are overall better in terms of PQ, but I also know that most people don't want to deal with the maintenance/upkeep. True, the newer plasmas have orbiters/pixel shifts and all that stuff to prevent image retention/burn-in (sadly, I bought my plasma the year before Pioneer added the orbiter feature to their sets), but how many casual gamers/tv users will use the screen wipe feature after they play a game with a lot of static menus? Dont forget the standard 200 hour break-in period (but I'm not sure if that period has been reduced over the last few years).

I currently have some image retention from SFIV (the outline of the revenge meter is visible when the area is pure white), and while I'm sure that'll go away when I play less of the game, it's still an annoying issue to deal with.

I have a 42" 720p plasma, and I ONLY use it to watch movies/tv shows. Never once hooked up a video game console to it, just too afraid of the burn-in. I've had it for over four years now, no problems out all except for maybe one or two tiny pixels burning out.

So I'm currenlty shopping for a smaller, maybe 32" LCD to play video games on. Gonna be getting a 360 soon, so I'll be looking for a new tv in the near future.

I have a 42" 720p plasma, and I ONLY use it to watch movies/tv shows. Never once hooked up a video game console to it, just too afraid of the burn-in. I've had it for over four years now, no problems out all except for maybe one or two tiny pixels burning out.

So I'm currenlty shopping for a smaller, maybe 32" LCD to play video games on. Gonna be getting a 360 soon, so I'll be looking for a new tv in the near future.

Why would you buy a whole new tv just to play games on? Your current one is more than 4 years old and in the electronics world that is a dinosaur. I'd use that one to play games and buy a new TV for your movies/cable.

Personally I dont see the need to buy two separate TVs just for games...That's being just a bit too paranoid.

This may not be the right section to ask this so if it's not, the mods can movie it in the appropriate spot. Anyways I may be considering picking up an HDTV soon mainly to play my 360 in HD but I'm also on a budget as well and cant really afford to spend much over $250 at the moment. Now I've seen some 19" 720p HDTVs at Target and Wal-Mart in my price range, however I just want to know is getting a cheaper HDTV worth the money or should I just save up for a better one?

Also looking at the display TV's at the store, nearly every HDTV including the big $3,000 plus ones seem to be really pixelated, but I've also seen the very same TVs not as pixelated, how do you fix this?

For $250, you definitely won't get a nice quality television, and resolution's going to be around 720p. My advice to you, is to save up until you can afford a larger screen.

Well the thing is the TV will be going in my room and I don't really have any space for a TV of any kind much over 19" or 20". The main reason I want an HDTV is cause on most of my 360 games, it next to impossible to read the letters on the screen on a SDTV which is important when you need to read objectives and such.

Keep in mind the smaller the screen you wont see the difference in picture quality. What I mean is that you can buy a 32" 720p for like $400 or a 32" sony 1080p for like $900 (just guessing prices). With that size screen you won't be able to tell the difference between the two so if it comes down to price save yourself some money. I say if your gonna go bigger than a 40" go 1080p. If your gonna stay around the 30" save money and go 720 unless you can find a good price t.v. in 1080. I had a 36" sony 1080i old school hdtv. I tell you man you could not see the difference between the blu ray movie and a reg movie because the screen size was not that big. I have a 52" sony xbr and man I love that t.v.....

dont go for a cheap one if u can help it! u pay for what you get! my cheap hdtv didnt last too long!

and if youve got planty of cash-go for a sony bravia-by far the best full hd tvs out there in that price range!

Well the thing is the TV will be going in my room and I don't really have any space for a TV of any kind much over 19" or 20". The main reason I want an HDTV is cause on most of my 360 games, it next to impossible to read the letters on the screen on a SDTV which is important when you need to read objectives and such.

That is SOO true! :rotfl I played MGS 4 the first time on standard definition. I didn't even know that Snake had a stress gauge (it looked like a smudge), and small letters were impossible to make out.

Anyways, if you've got your mind settled for a 19" or 20" set, a 720p resolution is your best bet for that size. Just go with the cheapest deal you can find (don't bother too much about the brand). And make sure to check Best Buy - they always have a lot of cheap HD televisions.

dont go for a cheap one if u can help it! u pay for what you get! my cheap hdtv didnt last too long!

Not entirely true. My grandma's been using a dirt cheap 32" HDTV for the past 3 years, and it still works fine :lol. I can't even tell you the brand... because the TV didn't even have a logo :horror. Of course, I'm not disputing your claim - personal experiences vary.

Vizio is a great lower end brand. Ive heard a lot of good things about those, and a couple of my friends own them. Me, I love my panasonic.

It does all depend on price...but, if you can't spend too much, and the monitor doesn't have to be too big, I think that a Sony or Samsung are the best. I have a Samsung Plasma, and play both PS3 and 360 on it, and they are WAAYYY clearer than SD, that's for sure! But, good luck with getting your screen. Just do some research, and I am sure you wil find something in your range to suit your needs..

Back