A Concern Regarding The Prometheus Body

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Read this Sideshow and adjust yourself accordingly for your customers....No dwarf Gi Joes will be bought from you:

I now have both a nude HT True Type and a nude SS PRO in hand and the height problem (and solution) has now become obvious to me.

The actual TT and PRO are the almost the EXACT same size. Here are my measurements:

Shoulder Blade to Pelvis: TT 9.5 cm PRO 9 cm
Shoulder to Wrist: TT 9.5 cm PRO 9 cm
Hip to bottom of the Shin: TT 13.5 cm PRO 13.5 cm
Over all height: TT 20.5 cm PRO 20.5 cm

The reason why the TT is taller than the PRO is simple. It wouldn't require Sideshow to spend a ton on more R&D or anything like that.

The TT has 1 cm leg extenders at the bottom of each leg.​
:duh

I believe that when Sideshow said the body was modular it was this addition to the body which they may have been (at least in part) referring to and which seems to have been over looked on the Indy figure.

So PLEASE Sideshow, make sure that the base figures which require a taller height have these extenders included. Its a simple and easy thing. Indy should have had it and every regular sized character you release on the PRO should have it.

:peace

Just so you guys know - I'm NOT 'ignoring' this thread, but I don't really have anything to add that hasn't already been answered before... just know that it's been passed along and that when I asked (because you know I like to fight for you guys :) ... honestly, I can't believe they've kept me around this long - I can be pretty annoying :lol), I have been told again that the Prometheus IS intended to be modular and height will vary as new body parts are created for it - I'm assuming that means they will take precautions that any future Star Wars figures that use the Pro as the base body are in scale with the previously released figures. (Indy's a new line entirely)

The main complaints of the Buck was it was lank and lean and too tall compared to everyone else's figures, so I think the Pro is an attempt to meet that? From the horse's mouth: "There's no such thing as a perfect base body - and it's been difficult for us to accept that on the design side too. Different characters, different costumes, all reveal new 'flaws' with the body that MUST serve as a mainstay - simply because that is the nature of 1:6th. The figures MUST share a base body, and that body needs to serve a very versatile role."

Thank you for allowing us a half a centimeter of leeway with the very first figure ever released on this body (Indy) ;) :duff

...I have been told again that the Prometheus IS intended to be modular and height will vary as new body parts are created for it - I'm assuming that means they will take precautions that any future Star Wars figures that use the Pro as the base body are in scale with the previously released figures....

If that is the case then I am happy. I hope your interpretation of what the horse said is right. Horses can be hard to understand sometimes. :duh

Just so you guys know - I'm NOT 'ignoring' this thread, but I don't really have anything to add that hasn't already been answered before... just know that it's been passed along and that when I asked (because you know I like to fight for you guys :) ... honestly, I can't believe they've kept me around this long - I can be pretty annoying :lol), I have been told again that the Prometheus IS intended to be modular and height will vary as new body parts are created for it - I'm assuming that means they will take precautions that any future Star Wars figures that use the Pro as the base body are in scale with the previously released figures. (Indy's a new line entirely)

The main complaints of the Buck was it was lank and lean and too tall compared to everyone else's figures, so I think the Pro is an attempt to meet that? From the horse's mouth: "There's no such thing as a perfect base body - and it's been difficult for us to accept that on the design side too. Different characters, different costumes, all reveal new 'flaws' with the body that MUST serve as a mainstay - simply because that is the nature of 1:6th. The figures MUST share a base body, and that body needs to serve a very versatile role."

Thank you for allowing us a half a centimeter of leeway with the very first figure ever released on this body (Indy) ;) :duff

So even though Belloq and the Harbinger are on the Pro, and also out before this thread was started and all the worry began, they don't count as "official" releases? :huh :p

All kidding aside, I get what you're saying:

Star Wars: Height issues will be addressed accordingly once the proper means have been made (which they haven't yet), so stop whining.

Indy: Different line. Don't pose with Star Wars as they're incompatible height-wise. And SS doesn't care about the differences between other lines so long as the height issue is consistent in this line itself (which is probably about to be cancelled so your whining is pointless here too! :p :lol).

Translation: you all need to STFU and buy our stuff :joy

Translation: you all need to STFU and buy our stuff :joy

:lol

There is ALWAYS a choice. No matter what people say, there is no Sideshow Kool-Aid ;) You can choose to buy it because you love it, or you can choose not to because something gets in the way of your enjoyment... Do, or do not, there is no try :peace

If that is the case then I am happy. I hope your interpretation of what the horse said is right. Horses can be hard to understand sometimes. :duh

You are correct, sir. That was *my* translation re: SW figs. I just trust that since they've been pretty good with scale in the SW series so far, I don't see that being thrown out the window at this point. Of course, I'm not in the dev dept, so who really knows - maybe they've been sniffing too many paint fumes lately :lol

All I can personally promise is that this thread and all it's concerns has been forwarded along. The ball's in their court :duff

And don't forget I've added to your cause.

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44276&highlight=eyes

Ok, example time.

First, how the dot hurts the realism of Sideshow portraits. On the top of the right eye is a real light catch from the photo's light source, then there's the doll dot located in a place that wouldn't even catch light from that source, and it's in the shadow side too, where it shouldn't be.

DD1.jpg

Next, a side by side of a portrait with and without the light catch painted on.

DD2.jpg

And lastly, an example of Hot Toys eyes showing how just glossing the eyes allows true light catches on them. The picture on the left catches light because it has a clear path to the eyes, the one on the right is without a catch because the light doesn't reach them, and no dot is painted so the look is natural.

DD3.jpg

I understand tradition and all, but the painted light catch practice clashes with the incresing realism of Sideshow pieces, and Hot Toys has demonstrated a simple bit of gloss can go a long way.

From the March 12th Q&A:

Q Many collectors are beginning to notice that Prometheus Body is about the same height as the Buck Short Body and this will cause serious scale problems within established lines (like Star Wars). Are there any plans to offer the Prometheus in two sizes (short and regular) so this height discrepancy doesn’t affect scale? Or maybe leg extenders for certain characters, etc?

A The current Pro body is available in one size only, but it is ‘modular’ by design and is likely to have large/small derivatives utilized in future offerings.

From todays Ask Sideshow Q&A: https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=6599&utm_source=wp_news

We are working on modifications for the Pro body. The new body parts will debut on an upcoming figure in the GI Joe line, and will include a heavily modified upper body and height increase. At a future date, we’ll share more details via the Production Blog or elsewhere on the Sideshow website.

We have received requests to sell the base bodies separately. It’s something we’ll evaluate again once we’ve added the new body parts to the tooling library.

:rock :rock :rock

Back