33 Years ago!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sadly George Harrison is always overlooked as a creative force. Perhaps the Beatles themselves undervalued him, but after the Beatles his early years as a solo artist were more successful than John or Paul.

Absolutely no "perhaps" about it - Paul, and especially John, most of the time didn't want to hear from George. Which is an absolute shame, because he always had good song ideas But especially towards the end of the band, and he had more creative confidence, he was a force.

Half of "All Things Must Pass" (the best solo Beatles album) was written when George was still a Beatle, but John and Paul were worried putting more George songs on the album would take away from the time available for their songs.

If Paul wasn't in "save the Beatles" mode, "I Me Mine" might not have even made Let It Be. John hated that song, which is ridiculous because that song is the jam.

But yeah - George was awesome.

Oh, and Let it Be....Naked is the only way to listen to that album.

I have been crucified verbally by Beatle Die Hards for saying that. But it's superior in just about every way to the 1970 Spector version. Sequencing is better. Mix and production feels more like a Beatles album should feel and it makes a far better coda to their recording career.

Glad I am not alone. :lol

Oh and I think I would have liked to hang out with George the best. :lecture

I have been crucified verbally by Beatle Die Hards for saying that. But it's superior in just about every way to the 1970 Spector version. Sequencing is better. Mix and production feels more like a Beatles album should feel and it makes a far better coda to their recording career.

Agreed on all accounts, especially the coda part. :duff

Besides, that is the way the album was intended-'Get Back'

I think songs like Let it Be and The Long and Winding Road sound much more intimate and beautiful without the orchestra and singers etc. Not to mention we're missing some cool Billy Preston on keyboard moments.

I recently got "On Air-Live at the BBC Vol. 2" by them. It came with a little book and art cards that look like old photographs.

I liked Spector's use of symphonics but he was prone to going way over the top with the wall of sound and crowd chatter. In all fairness The Beatles are hardly the only band guilty of over-production. The 60's were full of albums with head candy.

Paul said it was the band members learning studio craft and sound editing/mixing that moved them out of their early sound. The early albums were converted from mono to stereo without the bands direct involvement (typical at the time) and they wanted to take control. We wouldn't have the later music without the audio experiments.

If I had a time machine I would love to see Buddy Holly on one of the hayride shows he did in 1955. The Beatles in Hamburg 1960. Pink Floyd at the UFO in 66. The Doors at the Whiskey in 67. The Beach Boys at Carnegie hall in 1973. Yup. That's what I'd do. :lecture

Yeah, seeing them up for their fiftieth hour on speed, literally tearing the stage apart while a scary German owner yells for them to "mach shau!" One hell of a scene. :lol

I would have loved to see The Beatles in their club days, esp with Stu Sutcliffe and Pete Best when they were briefly a 5 member band.

Back