1st Sideshow Freaks Custom Figure Challenge: RESPONSE thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DOCTOR T!
I don't know who you are, but I will! :D
We must communicate! :D

First off,
Your three figures are stellar!
STELLAR!
I love all three! The first one had me panting, the Ayla had me drooling, but that Jess Alba....WOWSAWOWSAWOWSA!:monkey5 :monkey5 :monkey5
She has me completely won over! I LOVE her head! You did a great job on her. Even the barcode is there!

You do superior work my friend! I love every inch of all three! The details are unreal! Ayla's costume, as with the others, is immaculate! Amazing detail! I think we've about hit all the major Star Wars babes that have everyone up in arms now! Amazing works!

Thanks so much for contributing to our little Challenge! And, needless to say, Welcome aboard! I hope you are here to stay!

Excellent works! :chew

hurricane said:
nope ,dont agree, lovely amazing figures awsome work, but we all made our figures for this competion (mine aside) and as the figuremaster says no one 'wins',and for most of us females are out of our field, so an expert from outside isnt a fair game.

I can respect your feelings Hurc. I don't know who Doc T is, but his work is inspirational. I can only marvel at it. Is he a pro? Well, so are we! :D No one touches your Vaders, NO ONE! And this guy obviously makes chicks for breakfast, so he comes in and shows us his way. I still say, our efforts don't pale in his shadow, no, far from it. I am proud of each and every one. I think we have room for growth, I know I do, but I didn't limit the Challenge to current site members only. Can't do that. If Doc is a pro from "the outside" well, he's welcome too.
I think we all have put our best feet forward, and NONE of us, none, has to bow his head in shame. Every figure is tops to me. I would take, with honor, any of them. ANY.

I welcome in Doctor T, and hope he can teach us some of his method. He has skills to be sure, but, so do we all, even the untried. I bet we have only seen the beginning from our brethren here.

I am just proud to be here myself. With you guys. Amongst you. You guys all show us what it's all about. This has been a magnificent opportunity for us all.
I have gotten PMs and emails from so many now, not even contributors, saying how they all want to start customizing now. THAT is the goal.
Imagine, from all this effort, what we can see in the next challenge!!!!

I know it's not over yet, one day to go, but I want to thank everyone so far. You guys have been so stellar here. This is such a cool thing to behold. I for one, salute you all! :duff

Doc T!!! those figures are drop dead sexy!! I love the black widow!! The head sculpt is gorgeous!! Max is sweet too! I like them all!! What other forum do you hang out in? Like to see more of your customs!

jungle jom: Thanks! Glad you like her.

customizerwannabe: Thanks! From seeing your very cool Alex the Vampire Hunter, and I think you need to drop the "wannabe" part ;)

hurricane said:
nope ,dont agree, lovely amazing figures awsome work, but we all made our figures for this competion (mine aside) and as the figuremaster says no one 'wins',and for most of us females are out of our field, so an expert from outside isnt a fair game.
I appreciate that you say what you feel, but man, I'm definitely no "expert". Never took any art classes, nor did any form of art for money. Just a family man with a regular day job and a casual 1/6 hobbyist in my spare time. Most of my projects are misses than hits (I just don't show the "misses" - LOL). I guess I am an "outsider", but I apologize if whatever I did doesn't seem "fair" to anyone, I never meant to step on any toes. I got lots to learn - like embossing leather ;) Dude, I really like your Shaak Ti!! I gotta admit I was never really found Shaak Ti attractive, but damn, your version really looks hot! Really nice paint job and work overall.

Gruff Old Bear: First of all, lovely repaint on your Midnight Angel gal!! I wasn't even aware of the Jakks pacific heads and now I want to check them out. Thanks for the welcome! As you probably guessed, it was your post that prompted me to check this place out - glad I did!

figuremasterles said:
DOCTOR T!
I don't know who you are, but I will! :D
We must communicate! :D
No worries bro, I'll see ya in September and we can talk shop in person... ;)

Actually we kinda communicated 2 years ago but I'm sure you don't remember: you signed my guestbook and then I went and checked out your site and signed yours - LOL. Awesome website btw, definitely blows my little site out of the water. Your Chris Reeves superman is my favourite though. He's damn perfect! I appreciate the kind words. I think you're too kind though - LOL, I always feel my work needs improving, but thanks anyway.

Thanks having this thread and welcoming me! Wow, lots of great work I've never seen before. Glad to be here! Oh yeah, Elsa Von Ubel rocks!

cowboy: I most often hang out a OSW and MWD. I won't post the links because as a new guy here, I don't know the rules yet and I don't want to seem like I'm promoting other forums. But you can go to my site and I got the links there in the "About Me" section, or just check out my stuff there. Thanks for kind words!

And again, just want to say to all the people who posted their femme figs: awesome work! And I really enjoyed looking at them all.

cheers,
Rob

Last edited:
Really great stuff Guys! And a nod to the Figuremaster for making it happen. I have to say the Characterizations and backstory for some of these figs is even more dope to me. Way to go.. :cool:

Lots of cool new stuff since the last time i looked, espeacially since females figures an all scales are the hardest to achive. We going to have another ones of these challenge in the future, it was fun and great to see everybody's entrys.

Hey doc, sorry for my wee hissy fit, nothing personal at all, just having a bad night ,my sincere humble apologies,and welcome aboard.:eek:

No apologies necessary bro. Thanks for the welcome! :chew <-- Damn, I love this smiley!

cheers,
Rob

edit: customizerwannabe - forgot to mention I appreciate the sentiments and thanks for the welcome!

Last edited:
Hi guys!

Sorry I’m late to the feedback party. I went off for vacation for the Fourth and came back to a bunch of Sideshow boxes. Spent yesterday checking for damage and taking photos, then emails, jump onto the forums, and saved this one (the best) for the last. I spent the first hour looking at the pictures thread. Wow! All the figures have something to recommend them. Quite a few I’d pay for. That says a lot, considering I can be a real cheapskate. Then I hopped over here, and laughed through the next half hour.

I like the four Star Wars upgrades. Knowing how much the stock mass-produced stuff from a toy company like Hasbro can be improved with some work and time is inspiring. I might have to steal—er, borrow some of my nephew’s and my niece’s Barbies to experiment on myself. I really enjoyed the original back story guys like Les, die, and Josh put into their entries. I guess I’m not built for original characters because I personally find I tread water a lot not having a canonical story to guide me but you guys—wow. It must also be extremely liberating, cause the creativity really shines in those original characters. I think die’s Miner robot and Mikey’s Medusa/Mermaid are my favorites so far—just off the wall Sci-Fi, my favorite genre. I think die gets extra chops for finding uses for the 21st body. That body puts the whole Buck thing in proper perspective, eh? Who’da thunk you could do anything with it?

Thanks, Les and die, for commenting on my entry. It was a lot of fun showing pictures to a wider audience than what I normally have (I post mostly over on Whedonville here and on a couple Buffy fanfic sites (as a writer)). I’m going to work a little more on the Willow head and hope to offer copies eventually.

I have to say, the tips and ideas I picked up about methods and supplies made this challenge more than worth the last minute scrounging and picture taking to participate and finish before leaving for my vacation. Now I’m curious about how to emboss leather and mill metal (turned on a lathe?), how to wig a resin head (which I have been trying to learn how to do for the past month, AARGH!), not to mention the painting—the painting, my God! This board is justly already known for the painters/repainters, there are awesome examples in this challenge. I think, with time and more practice, sculptors will be right up there with the painters as far as quality—as a sculptor, I’m hoping, anyway. If anyone kept project pages of their entries, I’d love to read them. I’ve been kind of keeping a project page for my own, at https://home.att.net/~binky2k/12-BTVS-bash.htm, but it’s out of date now. Usually I take it down and put up a photospread after I finish a project.

Great big thanks to Les for organizing this challenge, and of course to the contributors. It really is inspiring, and was fun to participate in, too. I love the camaraderie in this thread. Female figures are hard!

Bring on the next challenge!

binky

Hey Binky,

Really nice job on those sculpts! I didn't follow BTVS much (which is kinda odd since I'm sure I'd be my kind of thing - I loved Firefly/Serenity). I'm not familiar with Tara, but Willow looks right on! I think women are really hard to sculpt, let alone likenesses and you did great. Kudos man.

cheers,
doc t

Wow, I missed a lot lately... Dr T! Welcome!! Love the ladies, especially Aayla... she looks phenomenal. You really did a bang up job on all of them, very professional.

And Nice work as well Binky and Mudshark.... you guys have really brought forth your skills on this challenge. Ghost in the Shell rules! And it's cool to see some Buffy figs here too, we don't see much of them anymore. :rock

Stuck my head in again to see what's up...
Thanks again Binky, for your fine work, and the comments.
I appreciate all the great comments so far, as do all the contributors I bet.
I go over them all and mull over them and enjoy them over and over.

Mudshark, thanks for your fuller input post. That helps and makes your figure even more fun. Thanks for the extra trouble you went to.

I will be back to wrap this up later this evening.
I guess there are not many more contributions then????
Not one more???
There's still time.

Whatever the case, Thanks again guys.
Back in a bit....

Hey Dark Artist,

Thanks for the welcome bro. I really dig your Anna Gumilyov and her scars. A very cool and gritty take on the KGB femme fatale.

-- doc t

Hey Dark Artist,

Thanks for the welcome bro. I really dig your Anna Gumilyov and her scars. A very cool and gritty take on the KGB femme fatale.

-- doc t

Thanks man! That is very high praise coming from you, I really appreciate it. She was a lot of fun, one of the most rewarding figs I have ever created. :rock

Great job on Nikki, Anzik!
SHE ROCKS! :rock

Thanks for posting her. Late is great! Thanks! :D

Nice job on Nikki, Anzik. I feel a bit left out not being familiar with Buffy lore or the characters, but your conversion is nice and sculpting a 'fro isn't easy. Keep it up and you'll find that the list of things "beyond your abilities" will get less each time.

Back