1/6th Scale TESB Yoda & Dagobah Hut Environment!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Sideshow 1:6 TESB Yoda & Dagobah Hut Environment!

the hut could be great but i would have expected a better yoda considering how good Jabba was...and Vader.
tiger electronics did this nicer yoda face 10 years ago
IMG_6074R.jpg

:lol:lol:lol:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

You're joking right!

...and this is Lee in MI posting from my brothers login.

I'll pick this up later. SS being in Calif. and with tax and shipping I'll try and find it cheaper elsewhere. I like that they do have a light-up feature.

I'm glad I picked up the Medicom version as I'm really disappointed by the likeness; I don't think he looks quite old enough. However I prefer Sideshow's robe so I think I'll try to pick that up loose and use it on my Medi one. I hope SS show off some more Empire figures at SDCC. I have no interest in the hut though.

:lol:lol:lol:rotfl:rotfl:rotfl

You're joking right!

...and this is Lee in MI posting from my brothers login.

I think that difference is all in the color. The green in the Tiger version is much closer to what we see on screen, it's a more muted version, a bit darker, that way the shadows in the sculpt aren't as harsh. If the face is a darker color the contrast between the shadows and the highlights isn't as high.

As old as Yoda was in ESB, when you look at the stills, he doesn't look as wrinkly as he does in the sculpt shown.

Part of the reason why PT Yoda looks so different is that the image is so clear, in ESB, the film was full of grain, not as sharp, as current film standards, so it obscured the image a bit. That's why I've always been a fan of capturing what you see on the screen, not what the actual prop is. Which is the exact opposite of what Lucasfilm wants.

picture.php

Yoda is mystified by this debate over which figure best bears his likeness.

(Especially when it's obviously the Medicom one). ;-)

Me neither - in the BSV the diorama looks huge and impressive...

Unfortunately, SS appears to have pulled the same perspective trick on the BSV that they did with the Luke/Han Stormtrooper pics. I'm not a videographer but it appears that there's some fisheye lens work being done where you see the SS guy standing behind the hut.

The hut looks way too large in those shots. You can see where the Luke figure is jammed inside and in that regard the hut appears considerably smaller in scale.

Also, in the photos of Luke and Yoda, Yoda looks considerably shorter than 5 and a half inches tall. At that height he should be up to about Luke's waist.

I don't wish to make a big deal about this but it definitely caught my eye.

They have the hut considerably closer to the camera than the guy is, presumably to make it look bigger and more impressive.

Also, in the photos of Luke and Yoda, Yoda looks considerably shorter than 5 and a half inches tall. At that height he should be up to about Luke's waist.

I don't wish to make a big deal about this but it definitely caught my eye.

I'm concerned as well. 5.5" is essentially half the height of a figure.

Also, most importantly, if you look at the original green teaser, you can see that Yoda's head is clearly at level with a reg Pro's hips. If someone has that pic please post it.

Yeah, I pointed out the height issue earlier. Compare the photo of Yoda next to the apple, then look at the one with Yoda next to Luke. They're totally inconsistent.

I certainly hope he's joking. Lord, I sometimes think we're looking at completely different things.

not so much actually.the tiger kids toy has some accuracies that the sideshow doesn't,which is sad.porportion/size of the chin and nose bridge at least.the point is,this one isn't impressive for sideshow.

cybermans 1:1 yoda is about the only replica i've seen that looks real close.i expected SS would have got much closer to this.
yodaultimate4.jpg

I think it depends on how you look at it. It's about the same price as a single PF, but I think it will be more impressive than that, and you can have a lot more fun with it (if that's your thing). So in that sense it's cheap. But then again, it's almost $300 for an action figure accessory.

Well sure, all this stuff is overpriced when considering they are non-essentials, etc.

But just based on current prices I think this is a very (and even surprisingly) good deal for what you get.

Just to demonstrate there's something terribly wrong with Sideshow's photo

100025press08001.jpg

At 5.5 inches, Yoda is too big, he'd be positively enormous in a backpack on Luke's back.

Without a doubt, the hut looks to be amazing. It's more in league with a traditional "environment" statue, if you will.

But as I watched the backstage pass video, and particularly the SS guy pointing out the little accessories and how they can be moved around, I just kept getting that "Barbie playhouse" vibe... ;)

If I were to get it, I would definitely not have Luke jammed inside there with Yoda. It would make it all look too "toyish" to me. I would pose Luke separately.

100025press08001.jpg

At 5.5 inches, Yoda is too big, he'd be positively enormous in a backpack on Luke's back.

The above would match the original tease found here: https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71034&highlight=yoda+tease

Two photos -- one is wrong! I sure hope they got their measurements incorrect and it's not "artful" photography. This one's too important to foul up like that.

I certainly hope he's joking. Lord, I sometimes think we're looking at completely different things.

This has been my belief for a long time. People have different perspectives and key in on different aspects such as their interests dictate. For some it may be the eyes that make or break the likeness. For some it may be the ears. Some will be more prone to taking in multiple aspects and some will look closely overall.

After reading what is likely to have been thousands of posts between this forum and SSG concerning likeness weaknesses, it really seems to me that many people should be saying "This does not look like (given character) as far as the aspects that I key in on" instead of "This just doesn't look like (given character).

And I think this happens because sculptors have different perceptions as well. But I have yet to see a portrait that does not capture the character well and even nails the actor from one angle or another.

I am not a sculptor, but it seems to me that unless you have a bazillion photographs taken from every possible angle, there will always be some level of artistic license practiced to fill in some areas.

There is also a considerable amount of detail lost in the production process by the time the prototype makes the first mold and a cast of that mold goes to making the production mold, and then the production casts come out (of course, this does not apply to a prototype such as the current 1:6 scale Yoda).

I have never really been a Likeness Nazi. I frequently refer back to my childhood when I could accept the drawings of the characters in the comic books even though they looked nothing like the actors. And I see this as no different. As long as the character is well-represented. I did have a short spell of being disappointed with the 3-3/4" Hasbro figures' likenesses...but some of those were not even recognizeable as being male or female. And yet there were still some who wanted picture-perfect actor likenesses in THAT scale.

Anyway...if this Yoda comes out looking just like the prototype...I will be satisfied.

If the new Pro manequinn is floppy like the Hobbits' on the other hand...

100025press08001.jpg

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :lol This picture is hilarious. Looks like it's pointing to Luke's um... lightsaber. :lol

Back