1/6 SSC Snake Plissken Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like 'em. Broke a wrist peg changing hands though. I know it's not going to happen, but I'd love to have a Romero...

lVZkJm.jpg

IyhMAd.jpg

sweet pics dude, i like em. mines coming soon. puttin off the last flex til the end of the month. dont care how quick this comes in really as long as i know im getting it.

^^^ Correction got mine a day early. I'm in agreement with Michael here. I have really no big issues with the head sculpt. I have even fewer issues with the paints. The head on mine doesn't seem to have quite as heavy a paint spray on the bearded region. I share the same complaint with scar effect on his cheek though. That's about as GI Joe as it gets. But my biggest complaints were essentially with everything else. My figure's arms were locked...and I do mean LOCKED...into position at the elbows, so I had to run them over super hot water to get them to loosen up, but they're still not nearly as fluid as I would like. Also watch out for accessories coming lose IN the package. Snake's cigarette was at the bottom of the inner casing and barely staying in thanks to the plastic lid. Easy to lose! Also the chamber of the gun is WAY too lose. Just putting the gun in one of his hands caused the chamber to fly open and spill one of the bullets, which I can't find. The boots are also defective like everyone has mentioned so he requires the stand. And thank God they gave him ample length in his shirt, because otherwise his crack would be showing for sure. Essentially the pants are just not made to fit this body. Since his butt is too big for the pants, you get virtually no posing possibilities with the legs because the seams are already maxed in a standing position. By comparison, the $25.00 Neca Snake destroys this in terms of poseability and just properly fitting clothes.

Also, the jacket is too long to attach any of his wrist accessories. So if you want him to wear those, you pretty much have to accept the jacket-less look (Something I didn't have to do with the Neca version). If it wasn't for the head, I would be returning this. Between the ill-fitting clothes and wonky body that is so restrictive, it's not something I would willingly purchase if I knew it would be this poor in construction. You can buy 1/6th scale figures at Big Lots that have fewer issues. And the thing is, all I really wanted was a figure I could pose wearing essentially all his gear, but I can't do it. Every step along the way I had to make concessions either due to limitations in his articulation or the seaming glut of problems in his attire. Also the accessories are cheap. Even when I was sliding his silencer into the double loops of his holster, one of them came off, so I'll have to glue that back on. It looks like a figure that, on paper, had all the right ideas and inspiration behind it. But the final execution fell well short of what I hope the intent was. I'll make this work, but honestly this figure is no better in quality than the DC Direct figures you could get for less than half the price many years back. And even those had fewer issues.

Great review (as usual) Michael. I have to say though I still think the figure looks super cheap considering it's price point. And it's sculpted hair? Sharp.. respectfully disagree, it's the same soft painted vinyl/rubber that SS have used on their last few figures. Compare Hot Toys Luke Bespin hairpiece to it to see sharp sculpting.
I don't think this looks good in anyway. Not at this price. Great novelty factor for fans of the movie, but this level of quality is not on anymore. Check out HT's new Stormtroopers, you could put them in a museum display they are so sharp and well executed. This looks like it should be on a toy shelf.

Sorry just my opinion. :duff

Also, the jacket is too long to attach any of his wrist accessories. So if you want him to wear those, you pretty much have to accept the jacket-less look.

To be fair, when he wears the jacket in the movie you can't see the wristwear anyway, so I can't see why you'd want to force the jacket over them.

The sleeveless look is how most people would display Snake as that's his most iconic look.

However, I don't have Snake in hand yet so I can't comment on the quality, but your comments are a little worrying.

To be fair, when he wears the jacket in the movie you can't see the wristwear anyway, so I can't see why you'd want to force the jacket over them.

The sleeveless look is how most people would display Snake as that's his most iconic look.

However, I don't have Snake in hand yet so I can't comment on the quality, but your comments are a little worrying.

Awesome review - I completely agree with Michael and Collector47, this figure has serious issues. The thing that really kills me is that you cannot pose him without the stand due to the lean in the boots and then only standing straight up due to the pants. Sideshow clearly knew this and yet released the figure.

Damn what a shame . . . this fig is truly a lost opportunity. A throwback to Medicom's mediocrity.

The definitive Plissken and MacReady are still waiting to be produced . . .

_____

I know a lot of folks have had issues with breakages here and there with this figure but luckily I haven't. It's been posed without a stand besides my jenky Kurgan and Connor for two weeks without a spill.

Sometimes I think sideshow tries too hard and over engineers their figures without regard to production and long term durability. Especially having the obvious lack of top notch facilities for that way of doing business.

I don't care what anyone says. The sculpt is excellent and the paint work isn't far behind. The figure simply doesn't photograph well. That doesn't mean it is ******.

The jacket isn't weathered enough. Boo hoo. The character barely wore the damn thing in the movie. If you're big move was to pose an iconic character in his attire from the first 20 minutes of an 1 hour and thirty minute movie congratulations, you're a dork of potsy levels.

Snake is jacket less for 3/4 of the damn movie.

The jacket for mine is exactly where it belongs. In the goddamned box.

Are we seriously debating this figure this hard?

I've seen the customs and short runs. They're trash. Pure unadulterated refuse.

For 160 bones I'm more than happy. I have an actual licensed Snake Plissken in my collection with all the trimmings.

Quit bitching.

Snake just arrived today. So far, I totally love this figure. Escape From New York is one of my top 10 favorite films, and Snake's creator John Carpenter is my favorite director. I love the variety of different accessories he comes with which are very movie accurate. A lot of possibilities for displaying. Almost lost a couple of those revolver bullets when I opened him, whoops!

The first thing I did was remove the jacket - Snake only wears it for a short time in the film. I have him posed with the SMG and his signature cigarette.

Sideshow did a great job with this one. Definitely recommended for all 80's cult film fans. For $160 I think Snake is a nice addition to anyone's sixth scale collection.

I know a lot of folks have had issues with breakages here and there with this figure but luckily I haven't. It's been posed without a stand besides my jenky Kurgan and Connor for two weeks without a spill.

Sometimes I think sideshow tries too hard and over engineers their figures without regard to production and long term durability. Especially having the obvious lack of top notch facilities for that way of doing business.

I don't care what anyone says. The sculpt is excellent and the paint work isn't far behind. The figure simply doesn't photograph well. That doesn't mean it is ******.

The jacket isn't weathered enough. Boo hoo. The character barely wore the damn thing in the movie. If you're big move was to pose an iconic character in his attire from the first 20 minutes of an 1 hour and thirty minute movie congratulations, you're a dork of potsy levels.

Snake is jacket less for 3/4 of the damn movie.

The jacket for mine is exactly where it belongs. In the goddamned box.

Are we seriously debating this figure this hard?

I've seen the customs and short runs. They're trash. Pure unadulterated refuse.

For 160 bones I'm more than happy. I have an actual licensed Snake Plissken in my collection with all the trimmings.

Quit bitching.

You won't last long. 4 posts in, and full of blind attitude. :lol
And yes, people are debating this figure "this hard" it's a 1/6 toy forum for Jesus sake, what do you want to debate? cooking tips?

I tried to keep an open mind and not jump on the hate train for this prior to getting the figure, but it's pretty justified for the most part. It's a cheaply made figure, and there's no denying SSC went the cheapest possible route to get it made.

I found that a little weathering on the jacket, pants and boots is a huge overall improvement. Just get some fine grit sandpaper and go to work on the jacket, drybrush some dirt on the boots and pants to make him look like he's actually escaped from New York instead of Nordstrom Rack and he looks pretty good except for the snowflake eye which, from a distance, isn't even noticeable.

Could someone tell me if the jacket sleeves are supposed to be a bit long? After putting the jacket back on him, his sleeves are quite low down over his hands.

Also, watch out for his elbow joints, I snapped the joint last night thinking it would move...but it didn't. :(

Luckily I managed to fix it with a little ingenuity. Ensure you warm up all joints before attempting to move them.

Back