1:6 SSC GI Joe Ninja Viper (ComicCon Exclusive)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah but nostalgia or not it is a really cool looking ninja. i really dig the colors on this one.

I think the figures damn awesome. I ordered it. Don't really care how many they make and how many people buy it. I do think its a bunch of hyperbole to say the product "bombed" when you don't even know how many they made, sold or failed to sell. The whole "sold out" thing has been a running joke on SSC since the SW line debuted because even Sold Out items come back for 2nd chance.

I'm not surprised it's bombing. I'm an old school '80s Joe fan and this is pretty much the first SSC Joe figure that seemed extraneous and unnecessary to the line (the Crimson Commander coming closest previously, but at least it was still a nice combination of two iconic Joe elements). This was the first one I considered not getting.

First of all, the Ninja Viper was a very late addition to the figure line after no one but the hardcore collectors or kids were still into it. It was a 1992 mail-in, a couple years before the line died. I think it got notoriety among collectors because it ended up pretty rare, since there were few people around to mail away for it at that time. But it doesn't have much interest as a concept or a character, just as a figure that ended up rare.

At least it was a repaint of the very iconic 1984 Storm Shadow mold, which is why Hasbro's recent 25th anniversary remake of it was disappointing, having used the mold inspired by the 1988 Storm Shadow instead. This Sideshow version likewise is an almost unrecognizable version of the character, especially since the color has been changed. This is the closest they could have gotten to just making up their own G.I. Joe figure and still be able to claim it was based on an old character.

But, really, there's no nostalgia factor for this character. It comes from the flourescent era of the Joe line that no one much liked and just by accident became a rare and expensive figure. It's still a figure only completists care about. A more accurate version from Sideshow would have looked goofy of course. There really was no right way for Sideshow to do it so they shouldn't have done it at all. It would be kind of like them doing a rare Ewoks or Droids cartoon character in the Star Wars line. It might be a rare, expensive figure now but only because the supply is so low, not because there are a lot of people demanding it.

Now a black ninja would have sold like gangbusters. Granted it has nothing to do with the Joe mythos outside of being a rare toy, but at least it was one from the '80s during the heyday of the line that just happened to be exclusive to a foreign country. And black ninjas are just cool.

i like the figure.

Figure is cool and its a comic-con ex. If hardcore joe fans don't like it they can always pretend it doesn't exist like CCC. Fairly easy I would think.

I'm not surprised it's bombing. I'm an old school '80s Joe fan and this is pretty much the first SSC Joe figure that seemed extraneous and unnecessary to the line (the Crimson Commander coming closest previously, but at least it was still a nice combination of two iconic Joe elements). This was the first one I considered not getting.

First of all, the Ninja Viper was a very late addition to the figure line after no one but the hardcore collectors or kids were still into it. It was a 1992 mail-in, a couple years before the line died. I think it got notoriety among collectors because it ended up pretty rare, since there were few people around to mail away for it at that time. But it doesn't have much interest as a concept or a character, just as a figure that ended up rare.

At least it was a repaint of the very iconic 1984 Storm Shadow mold, which is why Hasbro's recent 25th anniversary remake of it was disappointing, having used the mold inspired by the 1988 Storm Shadow instead. This Sideshow version likewise is an almost unrecognizable version of the character, especially since the color has been changed. This is the closest they could have gotten to just making up their own G.I. Joe figure and still be able to claim it was based on an old character.

But, really, there's no nostalgia factor for this character. It comes from the flourescent era of the Joe line that no one much liked and just by accident became a rare and expensive figure. It's still a figure only completists care about. A more accurate version from Sideshow would have looked goofy of course. There really was no right way for Sideshow to do it so they shouldn't have done it at all. It would be kind of like them doing a rare Ewoks or Droids cartoon character in the Star Wars line. It might be a rare, expensive figure now but only because the supply is so low, not because there are a lot of people demanding it.

Now a black ninja would have sold like gangbusters. Granted it has nothing to do with the Joe mythos outside of being a rare toy, but at least it was one from the '80s during the heyday of the line that just happened to be exclusive to a foreign country. And black ninjas are just cool.

Disagree. If Sideshow'd made a black ninja, he would've been ho-hum and lost among all the other black ninjas that've been released over the years. Plus, unlike the lame CCC, he was actually a figure in the older line and will likely sell out by the end of the year. I think IJ's right in his assumption about him being "inclusive" and I wouldn't be at all surprised if there's regret from those who passed after he's come and gone.

Inclusive is possible but I really doubt it. After the way the SW ones went I don't see them doing that again. My guess is his edition size won't be more than double the red ninja ex at 1500 total.

A guy with Jedi in his name slamming a Joe offering. :lol

The figure looks great and it as least linked to the original ARAH line. OD instead of teal.

I actually broke down and got one of these...(cool looking figure) though if they do Black Ninja,they need to make the pants like SS

i like the figure.

Me too.

Even if it's "bombing" it'll still be tough to get at this price down the road. People always jack up the SDCC stuff. Even CCC.

If they do a black Ninja he'd better actually be BLACK (as in, African-American... or Argentinian I should say). Only way that'd work for me would be if he was Ninja-Ku...

Me too.

Even if it's "bombing" it'll still be tough to get at this price down the road. People always jack up the SDCC stuff. Even CCC.

If they do a black Ninja he'd better actually be BLACK (as in, African-American... or Argentinian I should say). Only way that'd work for me would be if he was Ninja-Ku...

Black african american ninja's? never heard of them

Doesn't that cover pretty much everybody? And I am no completest but this figure looks great. You have to look at it from the perspective that it's a SDCC figure, a black ninja based on the Argentina figure would have been cool (but then people would _____ that it's not part of the line), and usually these exclusives are redecos. So doing a ninja viper makes sense. Throw in a couple of extras and there you go. I hate to say it JediJones, you're sounding a bit like those Pisstank guys. Welcome to the boards btw.

Back