1/6 Hot Toys -TMS 069 - The Mandalorian: Nite Owls - Koska Reeves

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_2109.jpg

So Ryan included an impressive number of compliments on this figure with emphasis on her striking appearance and detailed paint work. But I guess I'm struggling to understand how one would hold the Bo Katan figure as a potential favorite in one's collection and pretty much write off Koska when both figures have the exact same limitations with regard to articulation.

And while I'm actually a big fan of the Bo Katan sculpt we received from Hot Toys, there is just no debate that the Koska sculpt is superior by a wide margin. Must be the impact of the Bo Katan character compared to Koska who (for now at least) has been pretty much a background player. Nice review as always, but I guess I was just struck by this contrast a bit...

So Ryan included an impressive number of compliments on this figure with emphasis on her striking appearance and detailed paint work. But I guess I'm struggling to understand how one would hold the Bo Katan figure as a potential favorite in one's collection and pretty much write off Koska when both figures have the exact same limitations with regard to articulation.

And while I'm actually a big fan of the Bo Katan sculpt we received from Hot Toys, there is just no debate that the Koska sculpt is superior by a wide margin. Must be the impact of the Bo Katan character compared to Koska who (for now at least) has been pretty much a background player. Nice review as always, but I guess I was just struck by this contrast a bit...
Fair assessment. I would characterize it in light of just having reviewed Fennec. Fennec is just superior in every way, so Koska was a bit of a let down. Of course, these are my own opinions, and it's ok to disagree. :)

Fair assessment. I would characterize it in light of just having reviewed Fennec. Fennec is just superior in every way, so Koska was a bit of a let down. Of course, these are my own opinions, and it's ok to disagree. :)

I agree! My Fennec should be here today, and she has already sailed to awfully close if not all the way to the top spot for my female figure category!

That Koska sculpt is also next level in my opinion! But I think Ming is just a better known face, so the impact of Fennec with me at least is elevated that much more!

So with Koska in hand as of this morning, I think I better understand where you were coming from in your assessment, JP.

All of the points I made earlier are still valid, but this may be the stiffest Hot Toys body I've ever dealt with. The single joints on mine took quite a bit of pressure to move. So when you add a rather inflexible body to the single joints, and then are looking at a character who looks great but ultimately fails to move you in terms of collector's excitement, it's a figure that moves pretty rapidly down to a third-tier piece in the collection.

Now all that may change if she comes back and they find her a more impactful role in the saga (and no one would be more pleased than me if that should happen), but for now, it's nice to have another Mando on the shelf (and the head-sculpt is undeniable), but that's the extent of my excitement at the moment.

Has anyone tried swapping out the body on this one yet? I've never done a body swap myself, but I'm curious on how hard it would be on a figure that has all the armor. Maybe that takes the figure to the next level.

As much as I love the head sculpt, getting the figure to realistically hold the helmet in hand wasn't working for me, so she's now helmeted and the sculpt sits in the box... Glass half full, the helmet does really bring the whole thing together, with the rich blue colors.

Has anyone tried swapping out the body on this one yet? I've never done a body swap myself, but I'm curious on how hard it would be on a figure that has all the armor. Maybe that takes the figure to the next level.
I kitbashed Bo Katan with a phicen body. It's not difficult at all. Bunch of velcro. I did have to buy those female neck pegs to fit the helmet, and the boots don't fit the pegs snuggly, but she'll stand.

I assume it will be the same with this figure too.

Koska arrived several days ago, but I finally got around to unboxing her this afternoon. Despite the single-jointed arms and the limited articulation, I was actually able to find some nice poses for her. I lucked out and her body is not nearly as stiff as the Bo-Katan I received. She has a lot of presence on the shelf. She’s a beauty!

IMG_3837.jpeg
IMG_3838.jpeg
IMG_3840.jpeg
IMG_3842.jpeg

Yes, that overly stiff body is a pain because it just kills any posability. Yes, it's basically a figure that features a lot of reuse (to be fair, the actual character does too). In that regard, it reminds me of the endless clone figures featuring different deco and a doodad applied here and there. But...

The portrait is mesmerizing.

KOSKA 06.jpg

She will be fun to photograph and look good displayed with Bo. I do have to admit, my interest in all things Mando is waning.

Got Fennic too (haven't had time to open her yet) and the forthcoming Cad Bane look to have such uniqueness that they'll add great texture to the display instead of more of the same.

Am I glad I got her? Sure.

Back