Statue 1/3 Prime 1 Studio - Jim Lee - Superman

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really digging the cloth version - thanks to this video but I hope they improve the symbol on the cape. My hope is that the symbol is embroidered rather than a decal. Just don't want to chance it coming off if the temperature in the room fluctuates.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, the symbol on the back didn’t look so hot.

I don't see any realm of possibility that prime 1 ships this with a paper S badly glued onto the cape.

—fabric rules and will look great anytime I manipulate it
agree

— It will never wrinkle, the wires will not soften, and the statue will have the same presence as its sculpted counterpart
agree, but believe fabric will have MORE presence than the sculpted counterpart

— in 3 to 4 years the sculpted will fall over and break anyways.
disagree, sculpted will never have leaning or break issues as Prime 1 don't mess around (as you were trying to explain)

Took me 20 minutes to get the following look on my Prime 1 Batman:
kLP5umO.jpg

agree

agree, but believe fabric will have MORE presence than the sculpted counterpart

disagree, sculpted will never have leaning or break issues as Prime 1 don't mess around (as you were trying to explain)

Took me 20 minutes to get the following look on my Prime 1 Batman:
kLP5umO.jpg

Prime 1 you obviously seem like someone who wants to play with statues. That's cool just not my cup of tea. You like fabric capes by all means have fun. No sweat off of my back. I was simply drawing attention to the "spread of nonsense about the sculpted cape tipping over." We all have our preferences and good for Prime 1 in providing us options.

For me it came down to my experience with my modern age Batman of which I have a custom fabric cape as well. It is a very well done cape but IMO pales to the overall draw of the statue when in the sculpted cape.

In addition I am going sculpted because:

--I don't like playing with statues.
--For me there is no question that the sculpted cape will have a greater presence.
--If for some reason I would want a fabric cape I will by a custom. Best of both worlds in my opinion. If I went fabric it would be nearly impossible to get a sculpted cape made.
--Lastly, I am waiting for the Iron Studios Batman 1/3 Black addition that also has a sculpted cape and I think they will look great together.

There you go. Both versions of this statue will be phenomenal but since I can score a fabric custom cape (even if I won't use it) in addition to my sculpted version it is a no brainer for me.

It continues to be a mystery as to why we are justifying a decision one way or the other. If you like fabric...cool. If you like sculpted...cool. I just bought an OLED TV and was amazed during my research how many post were from people who don't even own an OLED who felt the need to bash the technology. The same thing seems to be happening with this damn statue. Preference is personal so no right or wrong. However, when people were justifying their contempt for the sculpted version based on the "lean" issue, that is just illogical and hence my original post.

I spent 0 minutes on my batman...20180408_144039.jpgsupbat.pages.jpg

Also I realize my post may have seemed insulting in places but I wasnt trying to be. I was just giving my response to your post and final comments on this matter.

With the fabric cape talk there is people that say they can't be bothered playing with it well you don't have to. Once you get it right in a position you like you can leave it there forever. If you prefer the sculpted look better that's different ( i like both) but with the fabric you can pose it just once and leave it be.

With the fabric cape talk there is people that say they can't be bothered playing with it well you don't have to. Once you get it right in a position you like you can leave it there forever. If you prefer the sculpted look better that's different ( i like both) but with the fabric you can pose it just once and leave it be.

Well if you leave the statue out in the open, you'll have to dust the statue periodly, which means the cape will probably need to get re-adjusted each time.

And you'll still have to get the cape in a good position in the first place, which some may never achieve to their liking. I'm still not happy with my Doctor Doom, and I am thinking about boxing it away because of it.

On a different note. Does the head still need to be enlarged by a fraction? I was looking at the Iron Studios Superman 1/3 and the head seems more proportionate. Now it may just be the pictures but when comparing his head to his fist size it just seems like if they enlarged the head ever so slightly it may not hurt? I am not trying to find issues but I did think it may be worth reexamining. I can only draw stick figures so my artistic eye is probably just that bad, but in case others thought the same I wanted to bring it up.

On a different note. Does the head still need to be enlarged by a fraction? I was looking at the Iron Studios Superman 1/3 and the head seems more proportionate. Now it may just be the pictures but when comparing his head to his fist size it just seems like if they enlarged the head ever so slightly it may not hurt? I am not trying to find issues but I did think it may be worth reexamining. I can only draw stick figures so my artistic eye is probably just that bad, but in case others thought the same I wanted to bring it up.

Maybe. But you can never go with fist size for comparable sizing. As those have always greatly varied depending on any given artist.

Sculpted is just way easier to maintian in the long run too as a bonus

Prime 1 you obviously seem like someone who wants to play with statues. That's cool just not my cup of tea. You like fabric capes by all means have fun. No sweat off of my back. I was simply drawing attention to the "spread of nonsense about the sculpted cape tipping over." We all have our preferences and good for Prime 1 in providing us options.

For me it came down to my experience with my modern age Batman of which I have a custom fabric cape as well. It is a very well done cape but IMO pales to the overall draw of the statue when in the sculpted cape.

In addition I am going sculpted because:

--I don't like playing with statues.
--For me there is no question that the sculpted cape will have a greater presence.
--If for some reason I would want a fabric cape I will by a custom. Best of both worlds in my opinion. If I went fabric it would be nearly impossible to get a sculpted cape made.
--Lastly, I am waiting for the Iron Studios Batman 1/3 Black addition that also has a sculpted cape and I think they will look great together.

There you go. Both versions of this statue will be phenomenal but since I can score a fabric custom cape (even if I won't use it) in addition to my sculpted version it is a no brainer for me.

It continues to be a mystery as to why we are justifying a decision one way or the other. If you like fabric...cool. If you like sculpted...cool. I just bought an OLED TV and was amazed during my research how many post were from people who don't even own an OLED who felt the need to bash the technology. The same thing seems to be happening with this damn statue. Preference is personal so no right or wrong. However, when people were justifying their contempt for the sculpted version based on the "lean" issue, that is just illogical and hence my original post.

I spent 0 minutes on my batman...View attachment 403539View attachment 403540

I wasn't going to go into detail, but since you did, I will do your reply justice.

By your logic anyone who owns a statue with switch-out options likes "playing with their statues"

I think ultimately, the sculpted version is for those who want a Hush Superman statue that is paired with a diorama of other Hush statues, i.e. it will blend in better with the Batman Hush statue that has a sculpted cape and not stick out like a sore thumb, whereas the fabric version is a much better standalone piece as the cape is not only bigger, but looks more realistic and commands MUCH more presence and attention on its own. I personally only want the Hush Superman and none of the other Hush pieces so the fabric version is ideal.

You are correct, I like "playing" with my statues because I, like the vast majority of people who own a piece of art like flexibility in display. I also like statues that look realistic and not a giant piece of plastic like you get in a Mc Donalds Happy Meal, hence why I prefer fabric capes. Flexibility for a consumer is always a bonus imo. A fabric cape means flexibility of pose (identical to how people like having multiple switch out options). Furthermore, a fabric cape provides a realistic looking cape and the ability to change the cape pose depending on headsculpt, hence why a fabric cape will always look more realistic and have more presence (i.e. Prime 1 1/2 scale superman and batman statues). Point is, you can shape the fabric cape to look like almost exactly the sculpted cape, but you can't change the sculpted cape (unless you wait for a custom cape which will be horribly over-priced and nowhere near as good as Prime 1s wired capes). People don't like to be forced to accept design choices if they don't have to (hence why switch out options exist), which is why I believe Prime 1 designed the statue with a fabric cape.

Examples of more neutral statue sculpts like the Prime 1 Hush Superman which are complemented by realistic / life-like capes:

prime-1-studio-arkham-knight-batman-234077.jpg

prime-1-studio-batman-variant-234090.jpg

justice-league-soska-superman-84-cm-0.jpg.big.jpg

prime-1-studio-batman-justice-league-234091.jpg

prime-1-studio-man-of-steel-234094.jpg

Prime-1-Justice-League-Batman-Statue-007.jpg

The Batman statue you spent 0 minutes on was specifically designed with only a sculpted option, so your comparison is illogical and invalid as Prime 1 have purposefully sculpted the Hush Superman statue with a pose that best complements a dynamic, realistic fabric cape (notice Supermans pose is more static and neutral compared to your Sideshow Batman example). The Batman statue you have with a sculpted cape was sculpted in a similar way to the Hush Batman statue:

Prime-1-Batman-Hush-Statue-012.jpg

i.e. the pose/sculpt of the statue fits the sculpted cape and if a fabric cape were used, the user would have to manipulate it very carefully to balance the pose.

On the other hand unlike my my Prime 1 Batman statue, the pose and sculpt were designed to fit a fabric cape as the pose is very neutral, allowing the cape to be draped in many different ways while adding to realism (just like the Hush Superman).

Iron Studios are known for avoiding sculpted capes, which is a massive shame, as their statues look very static and less life-like as a result. I own statues with sculpted capes and ones without (so I am actually qualified to comment) and the statues that look best with sculpted capes are those that were specifically designed as an overall sculpt from the very beginning of design conception through to final product. Not to mention, when was the last time you saw a fabric cape shine like plastic, like a lot of sculpted capes do?? Under light, the fabric version will always look more realistic and have more presence:

28795698_1709694965743805_4540099139920199680_n.jpg

VS

O02ezRf.jpg

smhush6.jpg

The cape war is still going on? It's gonna be a long 18 months waiting for this to release lol.

I ordered the fabric cape not because I want to play with a statue but to save a little space on the width and not have the whole cape pushed to one side. Personal preference, nothing more.

The sculpted version looks equally amazing and undoubtedly has some advantages of it's own. Either way phenomenal Superman statue!

I have the sculpted on order but the more I see the fabric cape on Facebook from shows the more I want it. Just flows so nicely and looks a lot more natural on the shoulders. Same time it be nice if they started showing off the sculpted version. Really considering ordering both and sorting it out later.

I have the sculpted on order but the more I see the fabric cape on Facebook from shows the more I want it. Just flows so nicely and looks a lot more natural on the shoulders. Same time it be nice if they started showing off the sculpted version. Really considering ordering both and sorting it out later.

Just keep the sculpted on order then get a custom fabric cape later on. I guarantee someone will make one.

You guys and your never ending back and forth in efforts to brute force opinions into facts lol. This happens on EVERY SINGLE THREAD. It’s always good for a laugh. You’d accomplish just as much talking to a wall.

You guys and your never ending back and forth in efforts to brute force opinions into facts lol. This happens on EVERY SINGLE THREAD. It’s always good for a laugh. You’d accomplish just as much talking to a wall.

:exactly:

get what you like,it's all good.

Back