1/6 Hot Toys - TMS126 - The Clone Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi (DeathWatch Disguise)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mean for all that person knows Hot Toys just copied the poses.
Well they also stole Sideshow’s Grievous statue photo for the CW Obi-Wan so it seems to be a growing trend with them lately as both Obi-Wans seem to have photography elements that weren’t theirs their products. They could have had an understanding with Sideshow but it doesn’t sound like they got permission from that other guy. Hope the gets something out of them for it.

They've been adding visual elements from varied/unknown sources into their graphics for some time. When it comes to Star Wars, i believe one in particular that mixed graphic elements from different eras most not even related to the character itself.

I guess my view on the figure is that it works two fold. Gives people who want this variant of Mandalorian armor the chance to have it without doing a full release that may potentially sit in stock forever and ever.

I understand that its a repaint of existing parts, but having it as an exclusive makes it more desirable and also a big selling point for fans of TCW it sucks a lot of us in as it’s from one of the best episodes of the series.

Agreed that it sucks about how limited it is and I wish Hot Toys and Sideshow would come up with a different system besides the queue. I think a 24 hour ordering window would be fair.

I got lucky this time but have been on the other end of not getting exclusives and it’s super annoying. Especially for how many of these figures end up flipped later on. Give collectors more of a chance. An ordering period of 24 hours would be enough time for people who really want it to decide and also it would cap production for Hot Toys so they could still keep the exclusivity factor.

Last edited:
Exclusives are never winning battle for most companies. Make something too obscure and it’s not wanted. It’s it’s too desirable people are upset it’s not a general release. Even with a good choice like this, having it pre-made and ready to go you run the risk of making too many or not enough. If they made them to order, you’d end up with a long turn around you see with most items. Then you still run the risk of too much stock or not enough when it finally releases.

I’m still awfully curious what kind of a percent of a typical figure run these exclusive have. Is 2,000 10% of a typical run? 50 %? We really have no idea if HT sells figures in the tens of thousands or maybe just a few thousand. More popular characters will of course have larger runs but we still might have runs of only around 5,000 for them and so 2,000 for an exclusive isn’t that much less but has the perception of a much more limited item. It’s a great sales tactic that maybe wouldn’t be as effective if we had true numbers on HT’s releases.

Their follower numbers on social media i'm sure gives an indication of their market presence for those with a degree in marketing/social media meddling

Mondo has been doing a mix of week-long timed exclusives and set quantities exclusives for their X-Men TAS line. There really hasn’t been an issue getting any at launch until recently. Timed Gambit moved 1,000 units. So they set 1,000 units for a limited Rogue. She sold out in about three minutes. It probably didn’t help that Disney had recently dropped an X-men 97 trailer and the internet had spent two weeks prior to the preorder talking about the dimensions of Rogue’s posterior. But this just goes to show that even if a company has really good data about how previous units have been selling, trying to predict market behavior is really silly especially when you have the option for timed-base exclusivity.

Also, Hot Toys is probably totally ignorant about how incredibly ****** it is to deal with Sideshow’s queue.

Well they also stole Sideshow’s Grievous statue photo for the CW Obi-Wan so it seems to be a growing trend with them lately as both Obi-Wans seem to have photography elements that weren’t theirs their products. They could have had an understanding with Sideshow but it doesn’t sound like they got permission from that other guy. Hope the gets something out of them for it.
I mean, the guy is making money off custom SW figures? Am I right? And I assume he doesn't have a license for this? So he put the unlicensed work that he's profiting of out there and someone with the license used it?

And his complaint is... they didn't ask? He didn't get paid?

Okay.

Last edited:
I mean, the guy is making money off custom SW figures? Am I right? And I assume he doesn't have a license for this? So he put the unlicensed work that he's profiting of out there and someone with the license used it?

And his complaint is... they didn't ask? He didn't get paid?

Okay.
And his "custom figure" probably began with modifying a Hot Toys Mandalorian figure in the first place lol...

People have it so good today. Not only do you not have to build your Hot Toys anymore, but these exclusives are nothing compared to the old Sideshow PPO days that felt like it happened every Friday:lol

I guess my view on the figure is that it works two fold. Gives people who want this variant of Mandalorian armor the chance to have it without doing a full release that may potentially sit in stock forever and ever.

I understand that its a repaint of existing parts, but having it as an exclusive makes it more desirable and also a big selling point for fans of TCW it sucks a lot of us in as it’s from one of the best episodes of the series.

Agreed that it sucks about how limited it is and I wish Hot Toys and Sideshow would come up with a different system besides the queue. I think a 24 hour ordering window would be fair.

I got lucky this time but have been on the other end of not getting exclusives and it’s super annoying. Especially for how many of these figures end up flipped later on. Give collectors more of a chance. An ordering period of 24 hours would be enough time for people who really want it to decide and also it would cap production for Hot Toys so they could still keep the exclusivity factor.

Take away the exclusives being available right away and make them available in 6-8 months and allow everyone a 24-48 (Friday afternoon to Sunday afternoon type of them) hour window to order them.

Solves all the problems. Figure is still exclusive but everyone has a fair chance at getting it.

This is also the second time they had a potential army builder as an exclusive, just so dumb.

Me too. Im already brainstorming ideas for a new accurate belt, will see what I can come up with.

I was toying with the idea of upgrading him to the other Mauldalorian’s ammo belt too when he comes out. But I’ll see if it’s still bothering me at that time. I’ll probably just accept it for what it is by then:lol

Here's my thing. If Hot Toys is going to do these exclusives like this, Sideshow needs a better way to handle it. The Anakin Artisan I got in, added to cart, for kicked back to the line. Got back in, added to cart, kicked back the line. Got in a THIRD time, was checking out finally and SOLD OUT. (Thankfully I got a waitlist conversion). And that's far from the only issue I've had with these queues.

I've gotten lucky and/or used an absurd amount of devices if I'm at work for various releases, but there's so many issues with this queue system. People getting kicked out. Or the technix issues that happened during the Commando where the site kept crashing. And people getting kicked out of the site, some saying they couldn't add to cart because they were "ineligible", just so many issues. Now, I don't like the way this is at all. I like the idea of doing a 24 hour order window for exclusives or something, BUT if we HAVE to deal with it like the way it is now, they could make this process so much smoother.

I've shared these ideas with SS many times, and the time-frames and such that I provide are just purely for example. They can be set at any number. So keep that in mind. #1. Use the RSVP/Invite system that they have. Since the queues randomly assign place in line, we may as well go back to a lotto system as they've done in the past. You register, you get chosen, you get an email and/or it appears in your RSVP/Invite page like they've done with event exclusives like sideshow con and such. You have 12 hours or 24 hours, whichever, to complete the order and if not, it's released to the next person. Yes, this can be abused. I can make a bunch of new sideshow accounts. Just like we can all use a ton of devices or other methods to make a billion windows to cheap the queue system. That's where idea #2 comes in.

#2. You must have had a sideshow account for at least a month to be eligible. Again, just an example. Could be two weeks. Could be whatever. The point is it helps stops scalpers and absurd amounts of duplicate accounts (which they say are not allowed and usually close down. They could easily crack down harder on this for events like this and, if they don't already, have someone design a system that flags duplicate addresses/phone numbers ECT. Which I'm assuming they already have since they do close down duplicate accounts). You can even go so far as to say "active accounts" (ymmv on how you want to define that term).

Perfect system? No. Not at all. But it will help stop scalpers. It will REALLY help stop people getting screwed despite being like number 85 in line and getting a technical error and losing out. Recently someone mentioned that Sideshow said they are "beholden to Hot Toys" regarding how they handle these releases. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I mean...there's many other ideas out there that are better than what is being done now.
Thank you for reading my new book titled "Sideshow: Living and Dying by the Queue" now on sale in your local book store in limited quantities, but you have to get into a digital queue first.

Back