XD TOYS 1/6th Scale Captain of Octopus

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got my figure today from KG Hobby and I gotta say, I'm really impressed. Took a few quick photos below. Mine stands on his own with no problem, but still need to find a stand to use before I set him up in my detolf. Some likes/dislikes:

- The paint is quite good actually, and whatever sloppiness/dullness there is compared to the Hot Toys version I think works for the grimy/sludgy look of the character anyway.
- At the same time, the paint job is what gives it away to me as being a knock-off figure. There was some paint rub on the black plastic tray from the coat arms, and both are both pretty sticky/tacky to the touch.
- At first I couldn't figure out how to get the pipe in his mouth, then I realized you can just stick it in there wherever and it will stay since the mouth is a bit flexible like the tentacles are. Pretty easy.
- The solid plastic coat is really hard to futz into looking like it sits on his left shoulder. Maybe some double-sided tape would work to keep it in place better, I dunno. Also, the loose coat arm on mine won't stay attached very well, I may just add a little glue to keep it in place.
- There's a visible seam running down his arm claw, but really not too noticeable in person.
- The chest is pretty nice, I think, having never seen the original one in person. I'm happy with the detail and the slightly grimy nature of it.
- I liked the little detail of the seaweed on the hat being a transparent bit of plastic.
- Last thing, my major nitpick is the lack of a wire in his tentacle finger. That just plain sucks.

Overall he's an awesome figure and I definitely recommend picking him up if you have any interest at all. I had mostly stopped buying non-Hot Toys figures since I started to feel like the details from other companies just didn't hold up when on display near my Hot Toys, but I have no regrets at all about picking this one up!

Thanks to tripping over this thread and folks who put up excellent reviews:clap, just ordered this off the 'bay. IMO excellent companion piece to put with my JS's (have all of them + PO. Yeah, slowly it's sinking in re third party figs, while OK, depending, HT just seems more *satisfying* most of the time, when I get an HT in hand.
But think this is gonna be perfect for what I need it for, and looks like some great detail.

Edit: IMO, deserves all the good things that have been said. Took few quick pics with this lantern I picked up on the 'bay - at first thought it was the cheapest thing:lol but actually it's some thin metal and the effect is pretty good (also added some flame effect pieces but think getting the "blue" or purple flame effects would be kinda cool too).

Very happy with this guy at this price. I wish there were a couple of extra hands - but overall great detail, some articulation, the lobster claw pops, definitely happy I picked this guy up thanks to comments on this thread!:clap Costume is sort of this soft squishy rubber like a silicon bath mat. Fun!:cool:

lantern.jpg

XD-DavyJones_face.jpg

XD_davy_jones1.jpg

XD_davy_jones2.jpg

Does anybody have that penetrating cheap plastic smell? If so, any tips how I can get rid off it?
The whole room smells like plastic/rubber/paint. :monkey4

Does anybody have that penetrating cheap plastic smell? If so, any tips how I can get rid off it?

idk if it will work for this but it has worked in the past with figures I bought that were in a smoker's house. Take a large ziplock bag and place the figure and all it's contents in there with 2-3 dryer sheets. leave it in there for a day or 2 and that should help. if the packaging reaks, do the same for it. put some dryer sheets in the figure tray, close that up, then put it in a plastic bag with some dryer sheets. hope that helps!

Thanks! I'll give it a try. I don't think the plastic odeur is going to vanish by itself. It's perhaps the recycled rubber (or that fact that it is a knock off) which spreads it.
:(

Wow, so glad I didn't pull the trigger on this after hearing about the smell. That would have been a complete deal-breaker for me.

Wow, so glad I didn't pull the trigger on this after hearing about the smell. That would have been a complete deal-breaker for me.

After 2 days, it's been a lot better. The figure's 'smell' doesn't spread the room anymore. I guess after a week or 2 it will be completely gone. Unless you put your nose against the figure of course. :lol

I have mine ready and waiting for the DX15! Also mine never had any strong smell to it that I recall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Awesome pics Cammo! I had this PO'd in the US but their distribution got cut and I never got around to nabbing him up

Back