XD TOYS 1/6th Scale Captain of Octopus

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the review! :clap

Only major downside is, as you said, that this doesn't come with a stand. :pfft:
Were the shipping costs high btw?

I'm pretty pleased with it overall!

Ordered from KGHobby as others have here... 465 Hong Kong dollars, about £45 UK for shipping two figures

Put a quick review on YouTube also
Under 1/6 Captain Of Octopus

https://youtu.be/pdj-MTrYiAg

Great review and thanks for sharing! :)

I couldn't help but notice that at the 7:23 mark, there appears to be a split in the plastic of his crab claw arm that looks it wants to break any second. Add that to the inability to put the pipe in his mouth and lack of a base, I'm still going to remain cautious about this figure.

Ordered from KGHobby as others have here... 465 Hong Kong dollars, about £45 UK for shipping two figures

Oh okay, I bought it from a local retailer for only 10 EUR more but that includes the shipping as well. So not a bad deal after all. Cheers!

I received mine and am actually over the moon with happiness. It's not the greatest figure u will ever receive, however I'm so happy because I came into the 1/6 collecting world too late to buy Davy at a good price, so to have a what I'm told is a close replication of the hot toys one without the same obvious quality, has made me very happy. And you know what... it's a decent figure tbh... it really is.

Thanks for the comparison and pics! :)

When I first looked at the pics, I would have never been able to tell the difference between the two figures. The only major differences I'm seeing are the size of his crab leg (smaller on the KO) and that the original Hot Toys has a black belt buckle while the KO's is brown.

You said quality wasn't as good, so my last question is are there any squeaky joints?

Thanks for the comparison and pics! :)

When I first looked at the pics, I would have never been able to tell the difference between the two figures. The only major differences I'm seeing are the size of his crab leg (smaller on the KO) and that the original Hot Toys has a black belt buckle while the KO's is brown.

You said quality wasn't as good, so my last question is are there any squeaky joints?

No idea. Looks like a standard body underneath, but the figure isn't known for it's articulation :) Not sure why that would matter on this figure? He only stands in that one position. No way I'm messing with it too much as it's still quite fragile, IMO.

Gotta say, I'm very tempted by this. I've never seen the Hot Toys version in person but, judging from YouTube and pictures online, I've always been in disbelief that people are willing to pay $500-600+ for it. I guess it is just that rare. On this, the main difference I can see is that the paint on the back of the coat is much less intricate, but not a big deal when it comes to displaying him, I suppose.

I've been tempted too, now knowing that the pipe can fit in the mouth.

I've seen the original HT Jones sell for $700+ in auctions recently, so I don't see the prices going down. As a mammoth fan of the character, I'd happily pay something more reasonable like $400 - $500, but the odds of being able to snag one for those prices seems pretty slim. Also I'm 99% certain that HT is never going to revisit this character even if he does return in another installment of the franchise.

This is a rare instance where I actually support bootlegging - as long as Hot Toys refuses to revisit this character, then long may the bootlegging continue.

I owned the original and sold it long ago for an insane price. The XD version is practically identical and is effectively the same thing for those wanting the HT Davy.

Paint apps are slightly better on HT, but not enough to lose sleep over. Of course, XD is missing the stand. The XD almost looks like someone got a hold of the HT molds and ran off copies. Pretty extensive backwards engineered copy if not. Material even feels the same as HT.

I also noticed the XD treasure chest is missing the handles. Video reviews also show missing handles, so mine isn't a fluke. These would be easy enough to make out of wire if you are so inclined.

Received mine from KG in perfect shape and am pretty happy to have a Davy Jones again at a very cheap price.

No idea. Looks like a standard body underneath, but the figure isn't known for it's articulation :) Not sure why that would matter on this figure? He only stands in that one position. No way I'm messing with it too much as it's still quite fragile, IMO.

Articulation is more than I thought really, bit like 89 batman rubber suit.

Just a thought, what if Hot Toys sold the moulds out the back door and told XD Toys "hey man do what you like but we are not going to be blamed if you get in trouble"
That would be pretty cool, I really want then to take a stab at hellboy now! That would be the next one I'd ask XD Toys to do.
Heres my vid
https://youtu.be/Shf5Uuul8x4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the review. I absolutely love the set-up in the detolf. Hopefully mine will arrive somewhere this month. :clap

Just a thought, what if Hot Toys sold the moulds out the back door and told XD Toys "hey man do what you like but we are not going to be blamed if you get in trouble"
That would be pretty cool, I really want then to take a stab at hellboy now! That would be the next one I'd ask XD Toys to do.
Heres my vid
https://youtu.be/Shf5Uuul8x4

Excellent review! Helped me decide to go ahead and order this guy, breaking my current strict Hot Toys-only purchases rule. Also, I would love to hear details if anyone tries to apply a glossy/wet look to their figure once they get it.

I was just looking back through the thread--Chunk, what happened to your review/comparison pics post?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Excellent review! Helped me decide to go ahead and order this guy, breaking my current strict Hot Toys-only purchases rule. Also, I would love to hear details if anyone tries to apply a glossy/wet look to their figure once they get it.

I was just looking back through the thread--Chunk, what happened to your review/comparison pics post?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks I really enjoyed doing it. I really liked Chunks comparison pics too hope he reposts them

Just got my figure today from KG Hobby and I gotta say, I'm really impressed. Took a few quick photos below. Mine stands on his own with no problem, but still need to find a stand to use before I set him up in my detolf. Some likes/dislikes:

- The paint is quite good actually, and whatever sloppiness/dullness there is compared to the Hot Toys version I think works for the grimy/sludgy look of the character anyway.
- At the same time, the paint job is what gives it away to me as being a knock-off figure. There was some paint rub on the black plastic tray from the coat arms, and both are both pretty sticky/tacky to the touch.
- At first I couldn't figure out how to get the pipe in his mouth, then I realized you can just stick it in there wherever and it will stay since the mouth is a bit flexible like the tentacles are. Pretty easy.
- The solid plastic coat is really hard to futz into looking like it sits on his left shoulder. Maybe some double-sided tape would work to keep it in place better, I dunno. Also, the loose coat arm on mine won't stay attached very well, I may just add a little glue to keep it in place.
- There's a visible seam running down his arm claw, but really not too noticeable in person.
- The chest is pretty nice, I think, having never seen the original one in person. I'm happy with the detail and the slightly grimy nature of it.
- I liked the little detail of the seaweed on the hat being a transparent bit of plastic.
- Last thing, my major nitpick is the lack of a wire in his tentacle finger. That just plain sucks.

Overall he's an awesome figure and I definitely recommend picking him up if you have any interest at all. I had mostly stopped buying non-Hot Toys figures since I started to feel like the details from other companies just didn't hold up when on display near my Hot Toys, but I have no regrets at all about picking this one up!

IMG_6288.JPG
IMG_6290.JPG
IMG_6292.JPG
IMG_6291.JPG
IMG_6293.JPG
IMG_6294.JPG

Last edited:
Back