"Who's The Boss?" You.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maalmurph

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Being somewhat of a novice 1/6 scale collector, I often find myself pondering the "what if?" of owning/running a collectibles company; the potential to make collectibles (1/6 scale or 1/4 scale, to be specific) that would appeal not only to me, but to the collecting market. I think as collectors we all ask, "Why didn't Hot Toys do THIS?" or "Why did Blitzway do THAT?" and everything in between. Whether you like Marvel, DC, Star Wars, Twin Peaks or Battlestar Galactica, there has to be (shelf) space for all of these properties to fulfill a collector's wildest dreams.

So I put this to you, Collector Freaks...if you owned a collectibles company, what would you do?
What properties would you make into figures?
Where do you stand on...stands?
Seamless joints or visible joints?
Rooted hair or sculpted hair?
Dioramas, backdrops or nothing at all?

*Also, if someone has brought this up in a previous thread, let me know, I definitely don't want to be a "thread jacker" (y)

Over a year late and don’t personally have many ideas in this area, but I’m bummed this skipped over all the others who might! With recent developments to the business brought by InArt and HT response and seeing silicone/PERS/rooted hair being done more and more by third parties, the landscape seems to be trending towards significantly higher quality (and price tags) across the board whether there’s licensor approval or not. Hoping a bump might bring in some neat ideas and discussion.

Thanks for bumping the thread, @Nagoya 😄! I made it more for the “wishlist/if I were in charge” crowd, so if people want to post their own “Fantasy Lineups” I’m all for it.

So I put this to you, Collector Freaks...if you owned a collectibles company, what would you do?
What properties would you make into figures?
Where do you stand on...stands?
Seamless joints or visible joints?
Rooted hair or sculpted hair?
Dioramas, backdrops or nothing at all?

It's an interesting question. From my perspective, I'd want the highest possible return on any investment, with the lowest possible risk.

So what would that naturally eliminate?

A) No full boxed figures. Body types require a massive R&D investment. I mean big money. Even a mold lift of something like a True Type is also taking a dent financially. I'd avoid box art and large packaging, especially as the cost of shipping keeps rising exponentially. I'd also stay away from full diorama, stands, and headsculpts.

B) I'd stay away from anything formally licensed. Again, that requires all kinds of other pathways in terms of negotiating, networking, dealing with people's BS, etc, etc that just seems pretty exhausting for something smaller scale in scope

C) Eliminate as much labor cost and labor intensive production as possible. Even if that means China. As much of what our hobby gets is produced in China. And it's almost impossible to have something made here in the US at scale that needs lots of skilled labor and make a cost effective product.

So what do I believe sells consistently?

Weapons. Loose weapons has the highest return and "safer" pathway for practical demand than anything else in our hobby. More to point, watch the breakdown of loose parts on most modern sets. What sells the best and does so consistently and often holds the best secondary market value? The guns. Sometimes it's the unique headsculpt. But usually it's the weapons. The rarer the weapon, the better.

I'd set up a crap load of 3D printers and starting pumping out "weapons" Lots of them. Let people paint them themselves. ( I'm not as well versed on 3D printers, but I'd default to a black matte color, for some items if it's easier not to have to ask buyers to paint them, if you could get those for those spools of reload material ) Mail them out in simple packaging, the lighter the better. Maybe branch out to things like gas cans or ammo cans too. Add in "printables" for free as a bonus item in each sale. There are "gaps" in our hobby. Items that would be in demand, but no big brands have made it yet or not in the quantity to really support the desire for them for collectors.

For example, there are some small businesses that just make weapons for Lego guys. They probably aren't billionaires, but they also aren't lifting bricks all day in the burning sun somewhere.

Test it, look at sets from 10-15 years ago. Try to part them out somewhere for loose parts prices. What will generally, on the average, get you the best return after all these years? The guns. I recognize other people are more talented in this hobby, or maybe have a better handle on certain skills or niches, and could monetize something else, but I'd rest my head on simple, easy to replicate, easy to exit if needed and not fall into the trap of being a "full time artist/customizer" Because let's be honest, what are the odds that someone trying that ends up as the next Josh Church or Chris Howes?

So Howard Chan of Hot Toys makes great stuff. Amazing. Probably creates all kinds of opportunities to see things and meet people that most would never get in life. But how many butts does he need to kiss all week long to keep that going? How much pressure is he under to sustain that success. Also he has to deal with artistic types all day long and honestly, most of those folks are gigantic PITA type people IMHO. And since he's very visible, how many people are going to come for him. Because when people figure out you have stuff that they want, your fame or wealth, they will always come to hunt you down. So my take is quick, quiet, clean and always with one foot out the door.

I value real creative freedom. I don't think that is easy to hold onto as you scale larger and larger, if you are fortunate enough to succeed to have the option to keep growing. The only real power you have in this life is the ability to walk away from anything at any time for any reason, barring your own children if you have them.

You'll have to forgive me a little bit here. I can get a long with anyone if I had to absolutely do it. And I make an effort to be civil to people in general. Golden Rule and all that. But I just don't like nearly all people. I understand most are probably OK people and are just trying to get by day to day like everyone else, but I just don't vibe with the masses. I appreciate this hobby. I know there are many good people in it. I've interacted with many super cool people in it over time and I'm grateful for that. But once you start taking money from people, everything changes. The dynamic naturally increases both good and bad tension. So I suppose part of this discussion is everyone, IMHO, has to assess their own tolerances. Don't venture into areas that will force you to interact in a way that just doesn't suit you very well. Here's a good cross over example, I'm sure many people here work in some kind of "people job" Where you have to deal with people. And I'm sure plenty of those people here have co-workers, now or in the past, who resent people, for whatever reason. That's just a road to misery. A non people person existing in a job or career where you have to deal with the public all the time. Same thing with management. Some people enter a career or ascend and hate managing people, but they do that job, for whatever reason, and that resentment and chaos just follows them.

So, I think the biggest thing for people who want to turn their hobby into a business venture, and this can be any hobby at all, the key thing IMHO is counting the cost. Figuring out who you are, being self aware to accept your limitations and blind spots and trigger points, and not dancing on floors where you will be prone to slip. I also think passion has to be part of it. You have to enjoy the practical mechanics of being a businessperson in the first place. IMHO, there is nothing more tragic to me than someone who is on the constant edge of their tolerance, and they have no practical way out of it.

Like anything else, the first step will need some kind of real self reflection IMHO. I believe most people will be better off starting very small and inching their way forward bit by bit, so valuable lessons can be learned without too much total carnage possible.

Thank you for starting this topic, it's very interesting.

Back