Where are the OG Freaks? Members from past 10+ years

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel old…
It's kind of weird ... physically I'm not so much different other than needing longer recovery, needing to train for mobility and not being able to compete in some sports any longer ... (while other sports are fine) ... I don't really look that different, but in the last few years I went from still 'feeling young' to feeling mortal.

It's not that I feel old, I feel finite.

I’m 41 and in the same boat.

isn't that what being young is?
secretly believing that you will be the only one on earth who will never age...
and then you realize one day that it also happened to you...

I’m 41 and in the same boat.
At 41 I still felt immortal :LOL:
secretly believing that you will be the only one on earth who will never age...
and then you realize one day that it also happened to you...
That's certainly a part of it. Regardless of what you believe for yourself, aging is an abstraction until it's not.

Something I've observed over time is that feeling young requires two specific things as you get older

1) Having good health. For most people, that can be had by good diet/nutrition and consistent effective exercise/training

2) Not having any long term obligations you don't want to have

I know plenty of people on the military side of the hobby that had to opt out as they got married and had kids, or when their kids got older. Most people in general, my best guess, will feel older by being exposed everyday to their kids growing up. The subset of those who realized too late they didn't even want children in the first place but had them, those folks feel ancient as they are quietly seething at their personal perception that their prime years are being robbed from them.

My best guess is a large majority of our hobby is single, unmarried and childless. Or married with no kids.

Also knew some folks in the hobby who had to opt out as they were getting divorced and then subsequently were completely destroyed on a financial level.

The more people you are responsible for, IMHO, the older you will feel every day. I'm not saying all obligation is a bad thing. But it all carries a certain weight that brings stress and ages you fast.

I have neighbors that moved in about five years ago, and after time and observation and some light interaction, I've picked up on that the parents privately despise their own kids. Buyers remorse. They aren't even trying to hide it. See them as anchors. Resentment on that level is like drinking the poison yourself and hoping the other person dies. Resentment like that is like smoking 20 packs of cigarettes a day. Those "parents" look like they've aged 30 years in the last five years. The dad is like a lot of guys out there. Stressed constantly, looking over his shoulder at work constantly, angry that he feels trapped as he needs to fund the lifestyle of three other people. Too myopic to recognize that he chose those obligations of his own free will.

More to point, to "feel young", my thought process is to shed as much dead weight out of your life as possible. (I'm excluding young children in your bloodline in this equation, of course) Crap you don't need that's clutter. Toxic people if they are around. Anything that drags you down. Then in exchange, use that energy to find something you love to do, and then go and do it. Being excited to wake up everyday to pursue something that drives you forward naturally is the best feeling in the entire world.

Something I've observed over time is that feeling young requires two specific things as you get older

1) Having good health. For most people, that can be had by good diet/nutrition and consistent effective exercise/training

2) Not having any long term obligations you don't want to have

[...snip...]

More to point, to "feel young", my thought process is to shed as much dead weight out of your life as possible. (I'm excluding young children in your bloodline in this equation, of course) Crap you don't need that's clutter. Toxic people if they are around. Anything that drags you down. Then in exchange, use that energy to find something you love to do, and then go and do it. Being excited to wake up everyday to pursue something that drives you forward naturally is the best feeling in the entire world.
I agree and for the most part my own life meets the criteria you describe for 'feeling young'.

It's why I describe it as feeling 'finite'. I've been around just long enough to see patterns repeat around me, and to watch young relatives grow up. Personally, I have very few obligations and mostly do what I want. I'm healthy and strong. But I hear the ticking clock because I'm a realist and I pay attention.

Do you remember a guy named Jedster?
He was very active on the forum circa 2014-2015.
He had an amazing Batman collection.
Anyone knows what he’s becoming?
7DBBAE90-D57D-4AB3-9E6F-8A76118F1620.jpeg

Back