What comic are you reading?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just reread Kingdom Come for, like, the millionth time. I always enjoy that one. It felt like an instant classic when it came out, and it has held up really well.

The last comic series I read is the limited series GUN HONEY published by Titan Comics.

I read good buzz about it online and found the art and story worthwhile. I didn't buy the individual issues because Titan went overboard with variant covers. I'm going to pick up the TPB.

1650498737613.png

1650498760692.png

1650498786495.png

1650498857263.png

Currently reading:

• Dark Knights of Steel
  • Captain America: Sentinel of Liberty
  • Captain America: Symbol of Truth
  • Amazing Spider-Man
  • Star Wars: Han Solo
  • DC Vampires
  • Ghost Rider
  • Star Wars
  • Star Wars: The High Republic
  • X-Men
  • New Mutants
  • Alien

Also I basically only read Hulk and Batman. I’ve read a lot of Punisher, Some Spider-man, Old Man Logan and a little of everything else hear and there but not enough to be considered a reader of that comic.

I’ve read every Hulk comic since 1999 and have them in graphic novel collections. I have all the early stuff on my kindle and go back to that when it suits me. I don’t know how much I have read but it’s a ton. Use to read Hulk in the 70’s when I was a kid. That and Marvel Godzilla :lol with the occasional Batman.

I have almost as many Batman graphic novels but only pic up story lines that interest me. I’m hot and cold on Punisher. Some of it is great but have not read any of the new stuff.

Just getting into ultimate Spider-man.

Wolverine is one of my all-time favorite comic book characters. I collected his solo series and read it religiously.

I wanted to read X-Men too, so I could get the bigger picture of his adventures, but X-Men had decades and decades of convoluted history and it was so daunting. Not to mention EXPENSIVE. When I was reading in the early 90s, those old X-Men books were hot back issues, and there were simply NO collections of reprints at the time.

I got into the books from the Jim Lee/Liefeld/Portacio days going forward, but all those classic Claremont/Byrne issues remained elusive to me. The one exception was "Dark Phoenix Saga" which was always in print as a paperback.

I distinctly remember reading it the night I got back from band camp my freshman year of high school. God, I'm a dork. It finally came in to the library and I was SOOO excited to see what the hype was all about. I remember enjoying it.

Well, that was the summer of 1992, almost exactly 30 years ago.

Now that every comic book known to man is pretty much free to read on the internet (if you have no scruples about such things, and I don't) I've decided to FINALLY read all those X-Men issues I never had a chance to, starting with Dark Phoenix Saga.

It's....not as good as I remembered. Man, Claremont is so verbose. He just blabs on and on, and repeats himself so much. I think this is one of those stories you had to be there for. It might have blown minds 40 years ago, but it's boring as hell nowadays.

Anyway, I'm gonna keep reading. Really looking forward to the John Romita Jr issues, and then the Outback era, and Marc Silvestri's run, and all the stuff in-between. I've always been aware of what happens in all these issues but it's gonna be cool to finally read them for myself. Hooray for free comic books! (Not like Disney needs any more money anyway....and I doubt they'd share any of it with the creators...)

Well I can't say that I am reading it (lol) unless I go on-line ... but I just dropped a large chunk of change on Spiderman Ultimate Fall - Out 4 in a very high grade (CGC slab) I have wanted this comic for several years...now I have it! I will display this with my HT Miles and Gwen figures.

I am currently reading The Batman Deluxes by Tom King. 67 issues in at the 85 issues long run.(6 volumes total of Deluxes. I am at vol. 5) the run started to get more sophisticated than Batman books usually were... That really surprised me and i started to really enjoy the run.

Man.

Whatever happened to the once-respectable profession of comic book artist?

All anyone wants to do these days is make stuff cartoonier than the last guy.

I like manga as much as the next nerd, but the increased "mangafication" of American super-hero art starting in the late 90s just go out of control. I look at stuff by guys like Humberto Ramos and Keron Grant and I just cringe. It's so off-putting and repellent.

Now I see people emulating "Calvin and Hobbes" and Skottie Young and trying to turn everything into cutesy kiddie cartoons. It's lazy and ugly. I hate it.

I just saw this drawing on instagram. They're not even trying anymore. It's devolved into random shapes, like Cubism. Anyone else think this is absolutely hideous or just me?

370895427_3240543702912326_5384470147312046025_n.jpg

I miss the 80s....Art Adams, George Perez, Kevin Maguire....hell, I miss the Image guys of the 90s!

I'm so old and cranky. I miss the world I used to know. I miss being young.

I tend to just stick with Xmen with some random stuff i picked up unleashed and the new battlechasers.

Managed to get my hands on this bad boy, so currently re-reading and it’s got Acts 12 and 14 which I’m missing so I can finally fill in the blanks.
Twisted beyond belief but oddly lyrical and literate and Tim Vigil’s art sends it over the top. Way over the top!

Attachments

• IMG_0364.jpeg
    IMG_0364.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Superman: Unchained By Scott Snyder & Jim Lee. I am 8 issues in, i will probably finish it tonight after work because it is 9 issues long. I am at the last issue. It was an ok read so far... If the last issue is not really good, i will end up as a somewhat mediocre mini series. I try to gethar everything in 8 issues in my head right now. There was the machine secret government millitary organisation which was hell bent on killing Superman and it was led by General Lane. (Lois's father) and his ally alien who had super powers like superman, but stronger.

There was this Asention terrorist organisation which was trying to end the world or something. They built something called earthstone which was a stolen techology from the machine organisation, it was somewhat like crystal shards which was used in fortress of solitude. There was Lex Luthor on the other hand who was trying to save the world or just tried to kill Superman was ambigious. All of these factors togeter really complicated the story... So many things were happening at the same time and i didn't enjoy this very much so far. Everything depends on the last issue that i will read tonight. If i like the book or not. Jim Lee's art was great. I really liked Dustin Nguyen's art in epiloge part of every issue as well.

Attachments

• 81yHlu-C9aL._SL1500_.jpg
    81yHlu-C9aL._SL1500_.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Not sure if considered a comic, but I just bought a bunch of the "best of Twisted Toyfare Theatre" books off of eBay and have been going through those and loving the late 90s, early 2000s humor it brings. Many of the folks behind it ended up on Robot Chicken, which is another guilty pleasure of mine. Mego Spider-man is the main character and can speak volumes with just a slight head nod... I still find them ridiculous and hysterical!

Back