What are you reading? Book discussions and reviews

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
0724a3e46b1854673f311fe8a8cccf9c.jpg

....been a while since I've had a conspiracy book this thick, 25 pages in and if it's all true we've been duped and we're all gonna die..

:lol

The Gen 6 apocalypse continues, and we're due for a shakeup according to the author. It's hard to say or know what's real in and out of the book. Much like the Bible. What I can say is that I really hope I'm dead and gone before it all really goes to ****.

Definitely more academic in some ways than entertaining, giving a view point that categorizes everything around it (leaving out a ton of "other" stuff) to make it's point.

Gen. 6 Conspiracy very nearly done... if it's all real it's far to large / complex / convoluted / stupid(?) to do anything about and I'll just give right up, or throw myself into an active volcano if nothing else.

Got this up on deck and hoping for a good read.

devolution.JPG

World War Z was a great book, I loaned that out when bought new and it was passed around (more than a....) a lot.

Bought the two volume Rick Baker coffee table books Metamorphosis by JW Rinzler earlier in the year. Took a while to pick it up but once I started I havent been able to put it down. Truly extraordinary set. I guess the biggest selling points are the truly gorgeous behind the scenes photos many of which I’ve never seen before. While it covers all the key films, most of this detail has already been more comprehensively covered in Cinefex articles and DVD documentaries. But it covers everything he did, tons of never finished projects and small one day jobs. Finally it goes into personal detail without over doing it. This would have been the trickiest part. These sorts of books rarely do it but Rinzler has become a bit of an excerpt because he touches on it but never dwells on it. So it covers his first marriage and his second, his children, his shyness and the creative side versus the business side.
As a life long fan of Baker, this book is a dream come true and provides a staggeringly complete look that a documentary never could. For fans this is an absolute must. Now if only Rinzler will do the same for Jack Pierce, John Chambers, Dick Smith, Rob Bottin ha ha.

I got the paperback for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood by Quentin about a week ago, but I'm saving it for summer vacation reading.

One week of work left to go. Time is draaaaagggggginnnnnnggg on.

I've decided to give Foundation a go. It's alright, old pulpy SyFy. I prefer Dune thus far, it speaks to me more. But I don't find Asimov's style all that "clinical", as people used to say, it's nice enough prose. I'll give more books of his a shot when it's time for more pulp. I was supposed to be reading War & Peace, but... I have a huge book backlog really, I hadn't cracked open one in years. I've only gotten back on track since last Halloween or so.

If anyone read and loved "The Martian," I am absolutely burning through Andy Wier's new book "Project Hail Mary." Same intensity as The Martian...has that "I can't stop reading even though it's 3AM quality...I gotta keep going!" quality.

If anyone read and loved "The Martian," I am absolutely burning through Andy Wier's new book "Project Hail Mary." Same intensity as The Martian...has that "I can't stop reading even though it's 3AM quality...I gotta keep going!" quality.
That was me last week and I finished it in three nights at the cost of not much sleep. Loved the interaction between Grace and Rocky - truly unique!

Now I'm reading The Lords of the North by Bernard Cornwell - this is the third book in The Last Kingdom book series for those familar with the show.

Finished Quentin's "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" novelization last night.

If you liked the movie, it's a fun read cause it really sheds a LOT more light on the characters' backgrounds and thoughts and stuff.

If you did NOT like the movie, avoid this like the plague cause you'll hate it more than the movie.

I finished Foundation. I actually hated it by the end. I suppose I was expecting it to get better, but no, it only kept getting worse and worse. More and more tiring. One of the worst reading experiences of my entire life. Translating ancient texts at school was more fun. Dracula, the book that previously held the record for most tedious read, was notably better. I don't think I'm going to be reading any Asimov again. This was excruciating. Dunno what to start now. I'll probably pick one at random.

Last edited:
I finished Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry last week. It might very well be one of the best books I ever read. I have to admit I tought it started a bit slow, but once they get the herd on the way it's an epic tale and I found it very hard to put the book down.

After I finished I was pleasantly surprised to learn that McMurtry wrote some more books about these characters. So now I'm reading Streets of Laredo.

Reading Robin Itzoff’s bio of Robin Williams. I’m a very slow reader and often don’t even finish books but I keep coming back to this and almost finished now. It’s a terrific read and is honest about all of his ups and downs and never turns into one of those by the numbers puff pieces. Really interesting and I’ve learnt a lot about Williams.

I'm just about finished with the Way of Kings, first of the Stormlight Archive books. For a 1200 page book, it was an insanely fast read. It's a gem. I'm ready for the next one.

Back