What are you reading? Book discussions and reviews

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
112a08359c5049837e874f27ade30773bc6d4421.jpg

book_5_cover.jpg

Weird stuff goes on in the wilderness. I've known about this for a while and have listened to stuff on YouTube, finally got one of his books. I've been to and frequented some of the locations like Yosemite and Crater Lake. I probably won't go at length again without packing heat and a GPS.

book_5_cover.jpg

Weird stuff goes on in the wilderness. I've known about this for a while and have listened to stuff on YouTube, finally got one of his books. I've been to and frequented some of the locations like Yosemite and Crater Lake. I probably won't go at length again without packing heat and a GPS.

I will have to read it. I used to go camping at crater lake when I was a kid. Never had any major issues other than some fat guy trying to raid my food stash at night.

I will have to read it. I used to go camping at crater lake when I was a kid. Never had any major issues other than some fat guy trying to raid my food stash at night.

Apparently Crater Lake has a reputation among native peoples for quite some time as a place people should stay away from, for good reason.

It's bizarre, there's a number of books out all of which detail how people vanish all over the country.
Very few are found alive, some people found dead under nonsensical / bizarre circumstances and the majority not found at all.

https://www.canammissing.com/page/page/8396197.htm

Finished The Silmarillion! :yess: Second attempt after trying several years ago and failing! Wish I'd stuck at it then as it was such an awesome read - just couldn't put it down! :rock Really wish some of those stories would make it onto the big screen (or even as a TV series).

Anyways, continuing on with the Middle Earth theme, now reading...

41HpYt2nNIL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Nice. It's almost like watching Akira for the first time.

Silmarillion is still my favorite Tolkien work, if Amazon does make anything based on it I'll be watching it.

I've just picked up and read the IDW Ghostbusters Total Containment and absolutely loved it! It captures the spirit of the movies and left me wanting more. I've just got to try and find Mass Hysteria next - which by the looks of it seems nigh on impossible. I wish I'd seen these when they first came out.

515bJ5j4FxL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Re-reading "Peyton Place."

I remember hearing about it in the Billy Joel song "We Didn't Start the Fire" and always wondered what the big deal was.

I read it back in college, in the late 90s, and it was tame as hell. I guess in the 50s it was quite a scandal. But I remember there was one phrase, one passage, that I really loved.

I couldn't remember that phrase all these years later so I'm re-reading the book and hoping it jumps out at me when I see it. I'm halfway through and so far, nothing. For all I know I blew by it and it made no impression on me.

It really is a bland book...shocking for the time maybe, but nothing special at all now. Not even particularly well-written. I hope I find the phrase though. If I find it I'll share it here. Most likely it was some cheesy overly romantic crap that spoke to me profoundly as a young man. Well, now I'm a bitter cynical middle aged grump so no wonder I can't find it.

^^Interesting take on a re-read from your younger years.

The only books that I can remember reading when I was young that I can say I like and can read now are Lord of the Flies and Frankenstein, that was in H.S. I can't remember what I read in college. Books that made a lasting impression came after I left college.

Genesis done, Abraham --> Isaac --> Jacob.

Women are deceitful, lots of 1st cousin incest and seems to be run of the mill to sleep with maidservants and prostitutes. Joseph dead.

Back