WETA: The Argonath (2021)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xb24

Super Freak
Reaction score
16336411050d35fdd676466014f288a87136ae9269.jpg

1633642495b28a2dfc461bd722f15cc98b81c925a6.jpg

1633642438f6966066aa42841c58fce06c7f1ccfe0.jpg

16336425403194ac80844394435e4c6b5a548ab5cf.jpg

163364346922887f38933bce80ff4008df2858ea5b.jpg

Rounding a bend in the river all eyes rise to behold a spectacle seen by few, the mighty Argonath: The Pillars of the Kings. With feet planted as if gliding upon the water, two great statues rise far above with arms raised in challenge and weapons clutched tight to their chests. Crowns adorn their great grey heads while stone eyes gaze north in ceaseless vigilance. Hewn by many hands from living rock, the Argonath are carved in the likeness of the kings of old, Aragorn’s kin. In centuries past they guarded the boundary of ancient Gondor, standing immovable against the foes of Númenor; projections of the power and majesty of a people now all but gone.

FEATURES:
  • Limited Edition;
  • Depicts the iconic scene from the official Fellowship of the Ring film poster;
  • Hand sculpted environment by Middle-earth master Gary Hunt;
  • Incredibly minute details including a miniature Fellowship in boats;
  • Faithfully recreated using screen-accurate reference materials.
Dimensions:15.35" x 13.38" x 14.76" (W x H x D) 39 cm x 34 cm x 37.5 cm

Weight:26.45 lbs (12 kg)

Limited Edition - Orders for this piece are open for a strictly limited time, from 1:00pm October 18 to 1:00pm November 1 (PDT). The final edition size will be determined by the total number of orders made during this period. No more, no less.

1k is a lot for this, 2 week ordering window may limit the ed total but still... and there's always the high potential that what you'll get will not look like the images above. Unfortunately.

1k is a lot for this, 2 week ordering window may limit the ed total but still... and there's always the high potential that what you'll get will not look like the images above. Unfortunately.
How far off are Weta's recent production pieces from the prototype?

Last edited:
How far off are Weta's recent production pieces from the prototype?
It can be hit and miss. The last 4+ years have been that way for me. The last large Balrog looked great, the flames on the head and sword are what really drew me in to buy it. What I received did not look like the prototype, which in all honesty is to be expected but it was off enough for me to sell it. When it comes to production paint apps. usually flesh tone faces are what's lacking the most. Or anything that requires a detailed paint scheme with patterns and/or shading. Dark colors or metal are usually ok. The most recent classic Ringwraith turned out great, I can only hope the new Sauron will be the same.

I had the Minas Tirith environment:
Weta.JPG

Proto look great, what I received did not have that level of detail.
All the subtle shading and colors were pretty washed out.
So my feeling is that this new Argonath will probably be the same.

I'm not trying to bash Weta, I liked the M.T. environment and if they bring it out again (open edition) I may pick it up again, as it's a seminal piece in the M.E. universe. I want Argonath, but really don't want something that comes out all gray with some brown wash and dot's of green at $1000.

Like it, after taxes and freight it'll be 1k.

Gonna wait to see what else is on the horizon and what the production pieces look like.
This has a limited ordering run, unfortunately.

Limited Edition - Orders for this piece are open for a strictly limited time, from 1:00pm October 18 to 1:00pm November 1 (PDT). The final edition size will be determined by the total number of orders made during this period. No more, no less.

Not a fan of this kind of limited ordering, but that's the way it is. Warehouse space going for a premium these days. Then again, maybe the original sculpture prices will drop from their insane levels, after this releases. That one is smaller tho.

I'm not trying to bash Weta, I liked the M.T. environment and if they bring it out again (open edition) I may pick it up again, as it's a seminal piece in the M.E. universe. I want Argonath, but really don't want something that comes out all gray with some brown wash and dot's of green at $1000.

I'm less worried about that, since I keep my shelves pretty dark. At least for the Argonath.

I'm fully aware of the ordering window, pieces do come up (after the fact) to order despite that sometimes due to cancelled orders. The secondary market as well with people looking to unload for their own reasons. The only recent exception I can think off was was treebeard.

Dark shelves still don't excuse a poor production paint app at that price point.

People have started to offload the original on eBay. What are people’s thoughts on that one vs the new one. I mean prices for the original were ridiculous on the secondary market. But all the new versions eg balrog Smaug cave troll have not done well and are generally selling for under cost price. Also annoying that the reissues are generally reducing the value of the original pieces for those that bought and then have seen a nice appreciation of value.

Dunno where you're looking, but the new balrog is selling for around a grand, and Smaug has appreciated in value too.
I like the new one, but the original has the appeal of having been made by Mary Maclaughlin, who worked on the actual environments for the films.

People have started to offload the original on eBay. What are people’s thoughts on that one vs the new one. I mean prices for the original were ridiculous on the secondary market. But all the new versions eg balrog Smaug cave troll have not done well and are generally selling for under cost price. Also annoying that the reissues are generally reducing the value of the original pieces for those that bought and then have seen a nice appreciation of value.

Dunno where you're looking, but the new balrog is selling for around a grand, and Smaug has appreciated in value too.
I like the new one, but the original has the appeal of having been made by Mary Maclaughlin, who worked on the actual environments for the films.

Yeah, I check the 'bay every now and then for a decent deal; most often don't find one. :D

Agree with FrodoEyes tho that's there's appeal for the original. In this case I could see a case for owning both, as the new one was apparently sculpted to give a perspective of mass and height and enormousness, which IMO it does.

As for value loss, I feel little sympathy, in that buying any collectible and expecting the value to go up - or someone to pay inflated prices - is a gamble anyway. The collecting market is fickle. I'd buy if you seriously want a piece, or a figure; and down the road, maybe you'll make money; maybe no-one is interested by that time. No good financial professional would tell someone to invest in jewelry or collectibles and expect great returns.

I have the original and I think it is a more complete looking environment piece.

The new one, while impressively larger, appears to be chopped at the sides. It is like you're getting a zoomed in shot of the two statues but not enough "environment", if that makes any sense.

I am an environment collector and was initially tempted but the more I look at it, the less I need it. If it had been simply a larger version of the initial release, I would definitely have been interested.

I have the original and I think it is a more complete looking environment piece.

The new one, while impressively larger, appears to be chopped at the sides. It is like you're getting a zoomed in shot of the two statues but not enough "environment", if that makes any sense.

I am an environment collector and was initially tempted but the more I look at it, the less I need it. If it had been simply a larger version of the initial release, I would definitely have been interested.
I like both pieces. I do like the perspective on the newer piece.

New one loses some rock yes, but gains in overall size and focus, plus much sharper detail. It's not even close IMO.

Back