Weta Minas Tirith Environment

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was MT damaged as well? Hopefully all was well with the piece.

Still contemplating getting this one but I'll have to wait for the next big sale, as I missed out on the backwards pricing thing that Weta did last Black Friday.

I opened it and it looks good, no damage issues. I do wish it was a big larger, but detail is very good.

I doubt they will do the auctions again, or it will be limited to a specific amount like the later ones were.

Here's hoping there's at least one more sale in this piece's future.

How about some pics, Stingray?

I only had it out a few days and forgot to take pics. Wanting to build custom shelves for my pieces, but not sure when I can get to it. I also picked up a Pre-Ruin Orthanc numbered edition from a guy in NZ to replace the broken one I had to return a month or so ago. Thinking I might sell my ruined version now, but still deciding.

Not a problem.

As for the original Sideshow/Weta "ruin" Orthanc, I would keep it as well. It may not be as impressive as the newer "pre-ruin" Orthanc but it does have some historical value, as the environment was actually used during filming of RotK! If I remember correctly, it's mentioned in the commentaries disk.

But if you want to use it to help fund the new one or another piece, then it's a smart move to sell.

I was able to obtain a Weta Minas Tirith for a very good price and it's on it's way to Minas Miami!

Looking forward to adding it to the environment collection. I have the Danbury Mint MT, which I love. Curious to compare both in hand.

The White City arrived yesterday afternoon and it truly is a fantastic piece. I hope Weta provides a similar sized Minas Morgul soon.

I couldn't help running the Howard Shore theme through my head as I unpacked it and checked it out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsT0cuXYBVA

I have the Danbury Mint version, which is very nice but this one much more detailed and better scaled. The city is wider, while the DM version is more narrow. The base "footprint" appears to be the same as Rivendell and Barad-Dur, so it's a shelf hog but definitely worth it.

A few quick pics:

Weta Minas Tirith 1.jpg

Weta Minas Tirith 2.jpg

Weta Minas Tirith 3.jpg

I got this last week and I have to say, the level of detail on this piece is astonishing. Astonishing. I own almost all of the previous environments in the Weta and SS/Weta lines (except for the original Orthanc and those pesky trolls) and none of them rival the intricacy of this piece.

Barad Dur is an imposing piece and makes a huge and glorious statement on the shelf, but the detail work on this one is even more impressive.

I would actually love to see a making-of documentary showing what must have been an enormous amount of work that went into creating this gorgeous collectible. I've been staring at this thing through my magnifying goggles and we're seriously talking about nearly microscopic details. I know this one's pricey, but if you're a lover of the environment line, save your pennies. This one's a little mind-bending.

Congrats on getting MT, Bucky! I agree that this piece is a definite grail. The retail price is just nuts, though. With so many other environments that I would love to see, I'm just afraid that I'll be unable to afford them, once they become available.

Thanks F&F! Congrats to you, too!

Yeah, the prices are soaring to ridiculous levels on some of these pieces. The ONLY way this made it into my collection was due to the flex option. Because psychologically, it was easier for me to justify spending $100 a month on it rather than $600+ all at once. And yes, I am fully aware that I am lying to myself!

I really hope they moderate the prices going forward, though. Because while I'm willing to shell out big dollars for a couple of the super important pieces, like Minas Tirith and Barad Dur, I really can't justify that kind of spending on something like Grond. I hope they swing back to smaller, more reasonably priced environments at least for the foreseeable future.

If they release Grond in its current form, it's going to be another giant, super-expensive piece, but in my opinion, while cool, it's just not "important" enough to merit that pricetag. I'm really hoping (with zero evidence to back it up, mind you) that maybe they've spent some of the time between the initial reveal of that beast and the eventual pre-order finding ways to maybe shrink the footprint and pricetag a bit.

Yeah, I know they're probably not doing that. But I can hope! Even if it's a fool's hope!

I agree with you regarding Grond. It's not a must-have but its definitely a "want-have"... ;)

I think what will make Grond pricey is the design of the piece. It's got different parts connected together, with chains and smaller parts. It is a more intricate and difficult sculpt to make. It's not a one piece mold like the smials are, for example.

I can justify skipping it, as it's not exactly a true "environment", per se. But price will dictate a yea or nay on a purchase.

Thanks F&F! Congrats to you, too!

Yeah, the prices are soaring to ridiculous levels on some of these pieces. The ONLY way this made it into my collection was due to the flex option. Because psychologically, it was easier for me to justify spending $100 a month on it rather than $600+ all at once. And yes, I am fully aware that I am lying to myself!

I really hope they moderate the prices going forward, though. Because while I'm willing to shell out big dollars for a couple of the super important pieces, like Minas Tirith and Barad Dur, I really can't justify that kind of spending on something like Grond. I hope they swing back to smaller, more reasonably priced environments at least for the foreseeable future.

If they release Grond in its current form, it's going to be another giant, super-expensive piece, but in my opinion, while cool, it's just not "important" enough to merit that pricetag. I'm really hoping (with zero evidence to back it up, mind you) that maybe they've spent some of the time between the initial reveal of that beast and the eventual pre-order finding ways to maybe shrink the footprint and pricetag a bit.

Yeah, I know they're probably not doing that. But I can hope! Even if it's a fool's hope!

Much like with other companies, prices and ES have increased to where you can safely wait out a deal on most pieces.

Wow. Being that it is supposedly an "open" edition piece, I'm curious to see if Weta orders another batch from the factory.

If not, this could sail into the Unbuying Lands, price-wise, fairly quickly.

If that's the case I'm glad I got it already. See how long stock lasts in the other warehouses. Smaug Bust was the same, I spoke directly with Weta and it eventually just sold out.

Back