Well. I just got fired.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otomofan

Super Freak
Reaction score
Just found out my services are no longer required at the job I've had for 11 years.

It's almost 5AM in Japan and I'm freaking out. Guess I'll have to try to come back to the States. I have so much stuff here though. I can't leave it here. I can't stay without a job.

Not gonna lie guys.....I'm freaking out just a tad bit.

I'm sorry to hear about that; you have my sympathies! I lived in Japan, too, from around 2005-2008, so I can imagine the uncertainty of being jobless and losing the visa sponsorship (it's not immediate, right? Do you have a few months to find new employment?). I don't have anything helpful to say other than, want to talk about it? Maybe it'd be some comfort to tell us about your life in Japan and who knows, someone might have an out-of-the-box idea or even a solution.

I don't know.

I'm still in shock about it.

I think the best thing to do will be to go back to the States and take care of my parents, but I don't even wanna think about how expensive it'll be. I'm flat broke.

In a few hours I have to go back to work and see my two-faced coworkers as they act all friendly on the outside but now I know that they helped get me fired. That's not gonna be fun.

I don't know.

I'm still in shock about it.

I think the best thing to do will be to go back to the States and take care of my parents, but I don't even wanna think about how expensive it'll be. I'm flat broke.

In a few hours I have to go back to work and see my two-faced coworkers as they act all friendly on the outside but now I know that they helped get me fired. That's not gonna be fun.
That's terrible, that your co-workers and the work environment were like that, especially after you put in 11 years there. I feel for ya...

Sorry to hear Otomofan. When the shock subsides I hope this will be a blessing in disguise for you. Maybe going back to the US could be the best thing for you given the feelings you've expressed in the past about living alone in Japan.

Very sorry to hear that, Otomofan. a-dev is right--it could be a blessing in disguise, especially since your co-workers are two faced. You don't want to be around that kind of work place. Sometimes you need a kick in the pants to set you on the right path. Good luck. I'm sure you'll land on your feet.

That sucks man, really sorry to hear that. I'll echo the potential blessing in disguise sentiments. I don't recall if you've ever shared what it is that you do but I know that there a freaking ton of businesses over here practically begging for employees so I hope if you come back it doesn't take long to get back on your feet. God bless man.

Sorry to hear it. My position of 5 years was eliminated in 2019 and it really left a bad taste in my mouth, although I had no illusions about corporations or 'loyalty' etc. I knew I'd been used for at least a couple of months while my superiors prepped to lose me.

I flailed for a while, and got my ass whupped financially when The Plague started, but it was the impetus for me to make some good moves and I'm really happy with where I've landed.

It's freaking terrifying to be broke and without a plan, but you can come through the other side of it.

Sorry to hear that man. But, I'm willing to bet you have some options that you haven't explored as yet. Maybe you should contact an immigration attorney fast to seek advice on this. I know how much you loved it in Japan despite the hardships. Here's hoping for a good outcome to your situation.

I don't "know" you, but parting ways with an employer (involuntarily or voluntarily) considering the number of the years you worked there is never easy considering your current situation.

You're figuratively and literally in a tailspin right now and going through a sequence of phases.

Based on prior experience, do your best to keep calm and focused. Don't let emotions dictate your moves. Carefully think through your immediate and next steps.

I wish you well.

Sorry to hear that, it feels really bad at the moment and that's natural, most of the time things aren't as bad as they seem so I'm sure you'll figure a way out of this, wishing you luck

You know what time it is right now, right? It's Sigma Grindset Time!

grustle-grind.gif

But kidding aside, I do hope things work out. Being alone and broke in a foreign land must be pretty terrifying. Best you can do is amass as much confidence as you can, keep things under control, and make swift decisions that will get you to a safe place most of all.

Just found out my services are no longer required at the job I've had for 11 years.

It's almost 5AM in Japan and I'm freaking out. Guess I'll have to try to come back to the States. I have so much stuff here though. I can't leave it here. I can't stay without a job.

Not gonna lie guys.....I'm freaking out just a tad bit.

what kind of stuff do you have ? that you have to move?
maybe you could try to sell some stuff quick? just an idea.
maybe even try to ask your coworkers to buy stuff

Hope you are able to sort things out. If you can at least land a temp or part time job, that would help until you can figure out a long term plan. 🤞

Thanks everyone for all the encouraging messages.

I've been up for about 24 hours and my head is still in a whirlwind about everything. Thankfully it's the weekend so I have time to TRY to just chill out.

I have plenty of stuff I could sell that would keep me afloat for a bit....but the problem is, nobody wants to pay for the horrendous shipping from Japan.

I've been wanting to unload my Hot Toys 89 Batmobile forever. If I could get a month's rent from it, that would buy me a lot of time.

Damn it. I never should have bought all these figures and books and posters and LPs and heavy items....how in the hell am I gonna get it outta here?? Wish I had a xanax or something. I've been freaking out pretty hard all day.

Yeah, I know what you mean about the shipping. I sometimes use proxy services to buy from Japan, but the shipping has been brutal. It seems like Japan Post has increased their rates for EMS as well, on account of all the COVID disruptions.

If I were in Japan, I'm sure I would've bought a shi-ton of collectibles as well. I mean, how could you not?!!

Just looking fora positive, but maybe it's a good thing? I mean, same job for 11 years and you're flat broke? This could be a hard road bump to a better path.

Back