Weezer's Custom Projects

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weezer

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hello all,
This is a "do over" project. I attempted this six years ago but it was trashed during a move. I'm planning to construct an accurate 1:6 Chewbacca from ANH.

I've read a few threads here in the past and they all seem to have started the same way my first build did. I'll try to keep my posts short and try not to repeat topics that have been mentioned in the other builds.

The first topic I'm working on is the size of the final figure. I've done some number crunching, converted measurements with a proportional wheel and compared photos of Harrison Ford with Chewbacca.

I manipulated the medal ceremony photo from ANH and pin pointed a few reference areas. I did take into account the fact that Chewbacca's a step down from the rest of the cast. Making him a tad closer (making him a bit bigger). I scaled him down a touch by scaling the size of the step to match Han's.

Right now I have Harrison Ford's real height at 6' – 6' 1" PEAK. Making Chewy roughly over 7.5' feet. I know sites say 8 feet (Peter @ 7'3" with 4" added to head and 4" added to feet), but I think that's a bit off????.

So my final height in 1:6 format is about 15" (rounding off). 8 feet/96" works out to being 16" (1:6). I think that's too tall.

I've posted a few images that I've been using for reference.

Thanks for checking out this project. Advice or constructive comments are always welcomed.

Last edited:
Re: Weezer's 1/6 Chewbacca Project

Look forward to seeing your project. I just destroyed my old head as it looked awful and maybe your progress will help inspire me :lol

So what method are you using; body with fur glued to it, fur suit or something else?

As a suggestion on bodies; the DCD Sinestro is a nice base as its thin but very tall.

I'm actually planning to try and copy your head more closely this time... I kind of eyeballed it last time and made the chin way to small leading to my figure looking like Chewbacca's idiot brother :lol

GOOD LUCK! One of these years I'm going to tweak mine... when I have time.... :monkey2

I've read a few threads here in the past and they all seem to have started the same way my first build did. I'll try to keep my posts short and try not to repeat topics that have been mentioned in the other builds.

Don't worry about repeating things, just means somebody looking for info can stop when they find the info in your thread rather than looking further. Harrison Ford was more like 6' 1". In the end I'd make the heigth of chewie based on how tall he should be compared to the SS Han, using the photos of the two you have from the movies. :)

The Chewie I have now is Hasbro's last "plastic" attempt at it. It's okay. But I've been waiting years for Sideshow to do one...and they didn't. Hopefully with Hot Toys picking up the license they'll get around to a good Chewie with some "rubber" hair, or some type of synthetic hair/fur.

I'd love to see what you come up with for Chewie, Weezer! Count me in as interested! Thanks! :wave

Looking forward to seeing this. I just sold my custom Chewie. Best one I had ever seen. I'm very curious as to how you'll do the fur.

Hey gang, thanks for the vote of confidence. I hope this turns out.

Darthrazz don't give up! Your custom is the one that inspired me to give this another shot. Although my prefectionism may turn this into a complete epic fail. :)

Galactiboy, I'm going to glue the hair right to the body. I made a tight bodysuit last time from a brown t-shirt and was planning to glue the hair to it, but never got around to it. I think gluing right to the body is the way to go. That way I can keep the lanky wookiee build. I find the fun-fur body on my Hasbro figure is too chunky and thick.

I found some hair extension at a store by my place (pics)... But I'm not going to use it. I think it's too straight for Chewie and the colors are limited. I guess I could airbrush tones into it??? I have noticed in photos of the (OT) Chewbacca that he has a "yakky" looking wave in the hair/fur. I want to try and duplicate this look. I'm currently doing a test with different mediums. I'll get into that more at a later date.

For the body I was going to use an old Ultimate Soldier body. I bought 4 figures for $5 each at ToysRus a few years ago. I'm not sure if extending the limbs will be enough to base a 1:6 Wookiee. I did that on the first go round and it looked OK, but the torso was kind of short.

Any of you guys know where I can find the DCD Sinestro body Galactiboy was talking about (for a good price)? I looked a month ago and came up empty. Maybe I should just use what I have? Any advice is welcomed.

BTW is there anyone out there who can confirm that approx. 15" is a good height for the figure? Check out the photos in my first post.

Advice or constructive comments are always welcomed.

Last edited:

Go to eBay and search under action Toys and Hobbies for "Sinestro Deluxe".

The BIN are ridiculous, but if you look at the completed ones; the last 3 that sold were for $20, $29 and $40 which is a more appropriate price.

I believe 15" is a good height for Chewie -- makes him 7'6". I have one that height and it looks spot on. If you go over a bit (due to poofy hair) that would not be a problem.

The real trick is getting his torso long enough and slim enough -- that's the one thing I noiced on the customs jobs; Chewbacca looks a little thick and heavy. Chewie's actually very lanky.

I think glueing the fur right to the body is a good idea, especially for keeping that slim look like you mentioned. I wonder if painting/staining the body black or dark brown might be wise. Just in case.

If you think you might want a Sinestro body just let me know. I have one that I'd be willing to sell.

Go to eBay and search under action Toys and Hobbies for "Sinestro Deluxe".

The BIN are ridiculous, but if you look at the completed ones; the last 3 that sold were for $20, $29 and $40 which is a more appropriate price.

Thanks for the tip. Just went on Ebay... Yikes your not kidding about the price. I'll wait a bit and see if I find anything in the $20-$30 range.

In the meantime. I might brainstorm over how to convert the Ultimate Soldier's body.

I wonder if painting/staining the body black or dark brown might be wise. Just in case.

If you think you might want a Sinestro body just let me know. I have one that I'd be willing to sell.

Yes, I plan to paint the body, after I give it a good scuff up. I'll follow the tones in Chewie (i.e. gray shoulders, brown torso...)

Thanks for the offer I may be in touch.

Does anyone know if I can cut and extend the torso? I'm guessing the abs are hollow and have elastics running through the middle???

Last edited:

IKEA also has those wooden male manikins, just for your interests. But I think ACI bodies are better, but I doubt they have the right measurements. Anyway, good luck, go for it!

Is anyone familiar with Ultimate Soldier bodies?

I'm planning to cut mine up to make it the right height. I would like to know if the torso is hollow, or if there is an obstacle running through it that may ruin the figure if accidentally cut?

Is anyone familiar with Ultimate Soldier bodies?

I'm planning to cut mine up to make it the right height. I would like to know if the torso is hollow, or if there is an obstacle running through it that may ruin the figure if accidentally cut?

You know, there may be. I forget but think there are joints and things in the chest area. Dismantle gently, and at your own risk. ;)

Small update... this will be the body donor for the figure.

As you can see it needs to be extended quite a bit.

I know the feet and head each were extended 4" on Peter Mayhew's original costume. That works out to about 5/8" added to both the head and feet of the figure.

I'll put spacers in the low legs and thighs. The abs will get cut and I'll add a spacers in between. I'll also add spacers to the arms. I may have to build a new swivels for the upper arms. They are way too short right now, but there isn't much to work with due to the swivel fuction.

Anyway that's the plan. ;)

Back