1/6 UJINDOU UD9017 US Infantryman ("The Big Red One", Hürtgen Forest 1944)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like this release is a disappointment.

Parts of it are but I think there's enough good to make what I want from it.

The uniform, once those buttons/threads were removed; boots; Thompson; shoulder holster, belt, packs and magazine pouches all look good.

The 20 round magazines don't fit into their respective pouches though. I pulled out all the black foam placeholders and put in all the metal magazines, only to find I couldn't close the pouches. :lol

I put the foam back in.

The 30 round mags fit perfectly.

It would be a lot of weight hanging on the belt though, to have all eight metal mags stowed away.

In regards to the helmet, would it be possible to use one of DiD's or Facepool's "Saving Private Ryan" figure's helmet instead?

It would, but I'm liking the look with the cap. The Big Red One was always a problem for my display, because he didn't fit anywhere, so without the helmet and seeing the arm patch he could be 3rd Infantry Division in Italy, who field tested the M43 uniform.

I also just found another solution: one of the unused LIM Toys RDR Arthur sculpts. The hair's removable so there's no problem getting the head in the helmet. Just needed some cotton wool padding to replace the lack of hair.

It gives me both options.

That head sculpt definitely needs to be replaced. I'm not sure who mentioned it previously, but it would be pretty cool to use a Mark Hamill "Luke" sculpt.

I never thought of that. Though the Luke sculpts have a lot of hair.

I water treated the left side of the collar/lapel to get it to lay flat. As it's drying I did a quick test of the options.

Arthur's hair's too long on the sides but it shouldn't be that noticeable once on display.

100_3895.JPG

100_3896.JPG

100_3897.JPG

The helmet is the classic GI look and I think I do prefer it, though I can keep the head with the cap with the figure for an easy change.

After selling off most of my Dragon Models collection years back my sole remaining complete WW2 figure was 82nd Airborne Danny.

I kept him because his uniform was being used for a Devil's Brigade Wolverine kit bash. After breaking that figure down I've had him on various bodies with various heads, but he's never looked right. Hence he never got to join the new collection.

Looking at the Big Red One's M1939 greatcoat this morning gave me an idea.

Danny's M1A1 Carbine with folding stock precluded him from North Africa and the 509th Parachute Infantry Regiment I initially intended him to represent. It was issued in late 1942, and only to the 82nd and 101st Airborne Divisions at first. It's a good fit therefore to have him represent the 82nd in Italy in 1943.

I still don't like Danny's helmet, but for once it actually fits a modern sculpt (The Big Red One). Maybe it would look less odd without the netting? I don't know whether it comes off without leaving marks.

100_4009.JPG

Somehow he looks better in low light. :lol
100_4010.JPG

The process was a bit of a nightmare. I put the coat onto another body at first, and did it up without issue. Then decided using that body was a waste and I should instead use the original DML that I'd lengthened the forearms on.

Getting the coat unbuttoned became impossible for the top two buttons. The button hook became trapped in the threads, and both of those buttons were yanked clean off. When I came to putting it onto the DML body I glued the buttons into the holes and then glued the coat closed.

He's a bit outdated in parts, but if I get more DID's Patton and some more US troops he slot into the background.

Doesn't look too bad in natural light, except the rear strap has dropped off the back of his helmet (!)

100_4014.JPG

100_4015.JPG

It only took me 22 years to discover that the helmet net was elasticated and merely trapped between the shell and the liner. :lol

I always assumed it was glued on so never bothered trying to remove it. A lot happier with the look now.

100_4024.JPG

If I can just tighten the chin straps as well though...

100_4018.JPG

A little upgrade on the second figure:

IMG_1815.JPG

He started life as Dragon Models' Danny from 2001, until the Ujindou Big Red One initially offered his greatcoat as an upgrade.

I swapped out the tiny Ujindou sculpt and used one of the DID Gallands. The Ujindou sculpt looks ridiculous even placed next to a DID head.

He now has a DID US belt and suspenders, with the vintage DML gear attached. The holster and pouches don't look so plasticky on display. Getting their hooks attached to the belt was a struggle since the holes are closer together, but with a little bending inwards they matched. The worst part was getting the hooks through the eyes... no, I tell a lie, the worst part was hooking the DID suspenders to the DID belt. I figured it out after the third one, and used pliers to hold the hooks open while feeding them through the eyelets.

Back