1/6 UJINDOU UD9017 US Infantryman ("The Big Red One", Hürtgen Forest 1944)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asta

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Ujindou Big Red One 5.jpg
Ujindou Big Red One 6.jpg
Ujindou Big Red One 7.jpg
Ujindou Big Red One 8.jpg
Ujindou Big Red One 9.jpg
Ujindou Big Red One 10.jpg
Ujindou Big Red One 11.jpg
Ujindou Big Red One 12.jpg
Ujindou Big Red One 13.jpg
Ujindou Big Red One 14.jpg
Ujindou Big Red One 37.jpg
Ujindou Big Red One 38.jpg
Ujindou Big Red One 39.jpg
Ujindou Big Red One 40.jpg
Ujindou Big Red One 41.jpg
Ujindou Big Red One 42.jpg
Ujindou Big Red One 15.jpg
Ujindou Big Red One 16.jpg
Ujindou Big Red One 17.jpg
Ujindou Big Red One 18.jpg
Ujindou Big Red One 19.jpg
Ujindou Big Red One 21.jpg
Ujindou Big Red One 22.jpg
Ujindou Big Red One 23.jpg
Ujindou Big Red One 24.jpg
Ujindou Big Red One 25.jpg
Ujindou Big Red One 26.jpg
Ujindou Big Red One 27.jpg
Ujindou Big Red One 28.jpg
Ujindou Big Red One 29.jpg
Ujindou Big Red One 30.jpg
Ujindou Big Red One 31.jpg
Ujindou Big Red One 32.jpg
Ujindou Big Red One 33.jpg
Ujindou Big Red One 34.jpg
Ujindou Big Red One 35.jpg
Ujindou Big Red One 36.jpg

UJINDOU

1/6 "The Big Red One" US Army Infantryman, Hürtgen Forest 1944

NO.UD9017

M1 Helmet x1
Army Cloth Cap x1
M1943 Field Jacket x1
M1943 trousers x1
M1938 Raincoat x1
M1939 Overcoat x1
Scarf x1
M1943 US Two-Buckle Boots

M1936 Pistol Belt x1
M7 Shoulder Holster x1
Thompson 5 Cell Ammo Pouch x1 (for 20 round magazines)
Thompson 3 Cell Ammo Pouch x1 (for 30 round magazines)
M1944 Three Pocket Grenade Pouch (* Not listed in the original specs)
Army Lightweight Gas Mask Bag x1
M1938 Map Case x1
Army Blanket x1

Thompson M1A1 submachine gun x1 made with wood and metal.
Thompson 30-Round Magazine x3
Thompson 20-Round Magazine x5
M1911A1 .45 calibre Pistol x1

1st Infantry Division badge

NEW BOND HEAD SCULPTURE
BODY W/ RELAXED HANDS
GUN HOLDING HANDS

The M1943 combat jacket was first tested in a field evaluation in the summer of 1943 by the 3rd Infantry Division in the landings at Anzio.

Complaints were based on the fact the jacket was neither waterproof or warm enough. For winter wear it was always intended to be used with a liner or a sweater.

The M1943 was rapidly accepted by the Fifth Army in Italy, but refused by the European Theatre until late in 1944 since General Eisenhower had already scheduled the issue of the new M1944 wool field jackets as part of the winter uniform.

(Paraphrased from The US Army In World War II (2) Mediterranean, Osprey)

The Battle of Hürtgen Forest was fought from 19th September to 16th December 1944. The US 1st Infantry Division ("The Big Red One") arrived in early October.

What a great time to return to historical military figures. All of a sudden we are getting quite a number of unique releases.

It's a good looking figure, but outside my area.

There were comments on BBICN that his helmet and cap looked too big. I think it may be that his head is too small, as with the British Commando.

I guess I'm probably going to end up ordering this from Kit because I can't help myself. :lol

While looking at photos the shoulder holster appears to be the M7 rather than the M3.

M3:

m3-3-jpg.590305

M7:

m3 1.jpg
m3 2.jpg

The US Marine Corps' Pistol Marksmanship manual:

m7.jpg

M7:

m7 2.jpg

Attachments

• m3 3.jpg
    m3 3.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 383
What a great time to return to historical military figures. All of a sudden we are getting quite a number of unique releases.

Do you try to stick to particular themes, or is any interesting looking WWII figure fair game?

I'm starting to find it hard keeping to my rules. :lol

I already expanded the permitted area to Italy (to allow the Ujindou British Commando) because the Afrika Korps operated there too.

Now I have this US 1st Infantry Division calling out to me.

The uniform was trialled on the Anzio beachhead in 1944 by the 3rd Infantry Division, whereas this figure has 'The Big Red One' shoulder sleeve and helmet insignia. The 1st Infantry Division fought in Sicily in summer 1943, but by November were in England preparing for D-Day.

This figure would therefore take me into northern Europe and then open up a whole new front for collecting. :panic:

I was half expecting a Mark Hamill head sculpt...
It's a really good time to get back into WWII with all these great figures coming out, maybe it'll signal a renaissance of 1/6 if interest in super heroes dries up.

I was half expecting a Mark Hamill head sculpt...
It's a really good time to get back into WWII with all these great figures coming out, maybe it'll signal a renaissance of 1/6 if interest in super heroes dries up.

I still kick myself I got rid of most of my earlier collection, but try to rationalise it that I'm starting over in a new era with higher quality offerings.

Even so, some of those figures from twenty years ago have clothing, weapons, boots, etc that would still stand up to today's production.

Indeed! Some of that stuff still holds up well, especially DID. But when I think back, it's really DML that I have a soft spot for. The sheer amount and diversity they brought out in the early 00's was amazing. And those beautiful boxes with the Ron Volstad illustrations, man... those were good times!
Having said that, I really don't regret selling all of that stuff off. It was a good time, it was fun and I learned a lot, but at some point I realised I had over a 100 little soldiers and it just didn't make any sense to me.
Still, it's great to see WWII making a come-back, it's such a defining moment of history.

Indeed! Some of that stuff still holds up well, especially DID. But when I think back, it's really DML that I have a soft spot for. The sheer amount and diversity they brought out in the early 00's was amazing. And those beautiful boxes with the Ron Volstad illustrations, man... those were good times!
Having said that, I really don't regret selling all of that stuff off. It was a good time, it was fun and I learned a lot, but at some point I realised I had over a 100 little soldiers and it just didn't make any sense to me.
Still, it's great to see WWII making a come-back, it's such a defining moment of history.

DML was what I had most of. I started collecting them not long after they began, and wanted to have every release so picked up the ones I'd missed on ebay.

Then I discovered Sideshow Star Wars and afterwards Hot Toys. I boxed up the DML figures and they remained in the attic until I finally decided to let them go.

My next forays into military were Temple of Doom Shanghai inspired: a Soldier Story late 1930s Chinese Nationalist and two Kadhobby Japanese soldiers.They're out of place now that I've into WWII.

Do you try to stick to particular themes, or is any interesting looking WWII figure fair game?

I'm starting to find it hard keeping to my rules. :lol

I already expanded the permitted area to Italy (to allow the Ujindou British Commando) because the Afrika Korps operated there too.

Now I have this US 1st Infantry Division calling out to me.

The uniform was trialled on the Anzio beachhead in 1944 by the 3rd Infantry Division, whereas this figure has 'The Big Red One' shoulder sleeve and helmet insignia. The 1st Infantry Division fought in Sicily in summer 1943, but by November were in England preparing for D-Day.

This figure would therefore take me into northern Europe and then open up a whole new front for collecting. :panic:

I initially started with aviation/space themed figures. DML and BBi were offering some very cool historical pilot figures as well as modern pilots. Those pulled me in but I then started to include any and all military themed figures that captured my attention. They were mostly American figures, so I decided to collect American Soldiers throughout history. I still have them on display.

Jump to a couple of years ago and movie themed military figures were being included. "Black Hawk Down", "Saving Private Ryan", "Band of Brothers" and more. I then picked up a Soldier Story "Voodoo" modern Spec Ops figure and was hooked on them too. This has been the slippery-est slope so far.

Although "21st Century" was my introduction to detailed military figures (Prior to that, I had a G.I. Joe with the Seawolf submarine), it was DML that really raised the bar and brought me into the hobby head first. I've kept most of them but have sold off some, over the years. One regret was selling off the 21st Century Willis Jeep. That was a work of art.

I initially started with aviation/space themed figures. DML and BBi were offering some very cool historical pilot figures as well as modern pilots. Those pulled me in but I then started to include any and all military themed figures that captured my attention. They were mostly American figures, so I decided to collect American Soldiers throughout history. I still have them on display.

Jump to a couple of years ago and movie themed military figures were being included. "Black Hawk Down", "Saving Private Ryan", "Band of Brothers" and more. I then picked up a Soldier Story "Voodoo" modern Spec Ops figure and was hooked on them too. This has been the slippery-est slope so far.

Luckily for me modern military don't appeal much.

giphy.gif

I have three main areas: Roman era; fifteenth century and WWII.

The Romans are practically finished since not much of historical value is being made now that I don't already have examples of.

Fifteenth century figures are few and far between - CooModel are bringing out an upgraded version of their Gothic knight, and Pop Toys an upgraded version of their Jeanne d'Arc.

So it leaves WWII as the main focus, and it's an area that's become popular with various companies.

Although "21st Century" was my introduction to detailed military figures (Prior to that, I had a G.I. Joe with the Seawolf submarine), it was DML that really raised the bar and brought me into the hobby head first. I've kept most of them but have sold off some, over the years. One regret was selling off the 21st Century Willis Jeep. That was a work of art.

That would be a big regret. :(

I just have too many interests in our hobby.

Same here.

Outside the strictly historical there's the western collection. Then Star Wars, DC, horror, and a bit of almost everything else.

I've slowed down a bit as I'm trying to be more choosy.

I had that one too, it was beautiful. And I always kept wondering whether I should get the tank, too! Customisers did beautiful work on that one.

Yeah, I see people complaining about space to display the Tumbler or other vehicles, they should see a Tiger I with accompanying troops... :lol
I can remember this one dude from England who made enormous dioramas with 1/6 scale transport trains and hundreds of figures.

Yeah, I see people complaining about space to display the Tumbler or other vehicles, they should see a Tiger I with accompanying troops... :lol
I can remember this one dude from England who made enormous dioramas with 1/6 scale transport trains and hundreds of figures.
Lol I've always thought about that when watching these guys talk about the Ecto 1 and all the hot toys vehicles.

Most of these newer collectors or even older collectors who don't know anything but Hot toys and the new era of "3rd party figures" don't realize is it all started with Military figures and back then, having a willys jeep and kubal wagon and all those pakguns/AA guns were the cool vehicles/weapons we needed space for and if you could afford it those armortek 1/6 tanks that cost over 5 thousand dollars, and getting one of those tanks is still on my bucket list.

I remember those big diorama photoshoots too! I forgot what the name of the group was but it was done by a bunch of people, good memories!

Back