1/6 UJINDOU UD9016 German Fallschirmjager (Gran Sasso Raid 1943)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asta

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
UJINDOU Paratrooper 1.jpg
UJINDOU Paratrooper 2.jpg
UJINDOU Paratrooper 3.jpg
UJINDOU Paratrooper 4.jpg
UJINDOU Paratrooper 5.jpg
UJINDOU Paratrooper 6.jpg
UJINDOU Paratrooper 7.jpg
UJINDOU Paratrooper 8.jpg
UJINDOU Paratrooper 9.jpg
UJINDOU Paratrooper 10.jpg
UJINDOU Paratrooper 11.jpg
UJINDOU Paratrooper 12.jpg

UJINDOU Paratrooper 13.jpg
UJINDOU Paratrooper 14.jpg
UJINDOU Paratrooper 15.jpg
UJINDOU Paratrooper 16.jpg
UJINDOU Paratrooper 17.jpg
UJINDOU Paratrooper 18.jpg
UJINDOU Paratrooper 19.jpg
UJINDOU Paratrooper 20.jpg

UJINDOU 1/6 "GRAN SASSO RAID" German Fallschirmjager, Hotel Campo Imperatore 1943

NO.UD9016

Clothing:

M38 Paratrooper Helmet
Luftwaffe Tropical uniform
Luftwaffe Tropical Trousers
Paratrooper Fragment Camo Jump Smock
Luftwaffe Tropical Side Cap
Fallschirmjager Boots (Leather)
Luftwaffe Bevo Breast Eagle
Iron Cross 1st class
Fallschirmjager badge
Luftwaffe Ground Assault Badge
Silver War Wound Badge

Equipment:

Luftwaffe Y-Harness (Leather)
Luftwaffe Tropical Belt and Buckle
Luftwaffe Bread Bag
Water Bottle M31 Water Bottle
Lunch Box M31 Mess Kit
Tropical Bayonet K98 bayonet with tropical frog
Fallschirmjager Kar98k Ammunition Bandolier
Fallschirmjager FG42 Ammunition Bandolier
Brown Kar98k Ammunition Pouch
Grenade Bags
K98k grenade launcher pouch
K98k grenade Bag
Dry Food Bag M31 Bread bag
Shovel

Weapons:
Kar98K Rifle w/Grenade Launcher Fitted (made with wood)
Metal Kar98K Grenade X 10pcs

Head sculpt
Body with relaxed hands
Pair of gun holding hands

Attachments

• UJINDOU Paratrooper 7.jpg
    UJINDOU Paratrooper 7.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 3
Looks impressive...

It's the tropical Luftwaffe uniform that got me, especially now having the Marseille sets. I prefer the look of the Ujindou without the smock, so he could represent the North African campaign.

I was looking for details on when the Ramcke Brigade got their arm badge.

This page has a handy run down of their basic kit, and it appears this figure could fill the role:

https://fallschirmjagerramckebrigade.webs.com/uniform-and-equipment

I used to have DML's Ramcke Brigade figure (and Otto Skorzeny in his Gran Sasso tropical uniform), and wish I'd never got rid of them. :(

It's the tropical Luftwaffe uniform that got me, especially now having the Marseille sets. I prefer the look of the Ujindou without the smock, so he could represent the North African campaign.

I was looking for details on when the Ramcke Brigade got their arm badge.

This page has a handy run down of their basic kit, and it appears this figure could fill the role:

https://fallschirmjagerramckebrigade.webs.com/uniform-and-equipment

I used to have DML's Ramcke Brigade figure (and Otto Skorzeny in his Gran Sasso tropical uniform), and wish I'd never got rid of them. :(

I remember that Otto Skorzeny figure, too. I think it was a Cyberhobby exclusive with their black figure boxes.

I've managed to keep a number of my DML and Blue Box figures and while I've thought about selling some off, it isn't an easy decision to make. I can't believe how old some of these figures are and they still hold up extremely well against today's figures.

I remember that Otto Skorzeny figure, too. I think it was a Cyberhobby exclusive with their black figure boxes.

I've managed to keep a number of my DML and Blue Box figures and while I've thought about selling some off, it isn't an easy decision to make. I can't believe how old some of these figures are and they still hold up extremely well against today's figures.

I don't know what possessed me to get rid of them.

I think it must've been looking forward, with Hot Toys in mind, and shedding the past. But as you wrote, they'd still hold up today in many respects.

I love the choices on subject matter this company is doing, the quality on this looks 10x better/more realistic than the new DiD Wilhelm which was a major disappointment, the Kar98 is actual wood and metal so definitely getting up there in the quality of pieces.

The rifle grenade is pretty cool and reminds me of the old mod Darkest hour Europe 44-45 for the old Red orchestra game.

Man I miss DML, I've been window shopping on eBay for the older DML figures just to see the boxes, I cut out a few of the older ones from the 2001-2004? era when they used actual artwork instead of the figures for the boxart and put them on the wall.

I love the choices on subject matter this company is doing, the quality on this looks 10x better/more realistic than the new DiD Wilhelm which was a major disappointment, the Kar98 is actual wood and metal so definitely getting up there in the quality of pieces.

The rifle grenade is pretty cool and reminds me of the old mod Darkest hour Europe 44-45 for the old Red orchestra game.

Man I miss DML, I've been window shopping on eBay for the older DML figures just to see the boxes, I cut out a few of the older ones from the 2001-2004? era when they used actual artwork instead of the figures for the boxart and put them on the wall.

Great story regarding the box-art. I remember so many of them, too.

Ironically enough, I never saved any of them. I just assumed that I would never need them or sell the figures off.

The Luftwaffe unit that took part in Operation Eiche (Oak), to rescue Mussolini in the Gran Sasso raid on 12th September 1943, was the Fallschirmjäger-Lehr-Bataillon, XI. Fliegerkorps. (Lehr means 'Training').

They were temporarily designated as I./FJR7 (I Bataillon, 7. Fallschirmjäger-Regiment) for the operation.

The Fallschirmjäger-Lehr-Bataillon was formed in July 1940 under the command of Major Burkhardt, and formed part of the Ramcke Brigade which was originally raised for the invasion of Malta in 1942.

The Brigade was sent to North Africa in August 1942 as a reinforcement for Rommel and entered the line at El Alamein. During the withdrawal of the Afrika Korps, the Brigade was abandoned by the high command since it had no organic transport. Rather than surrender, Ramcke led his troops out of the British trap and headed west, losing about 450 men in the process. They soon captured a British supply column which provided not only trucks but food, tobacco and other luxuries. about 600 later re-joined the Afrika Korps. The rump of the Brigade fought in the final battles in the defence of Tunisia. Many senior officers and some men escaped but most of the troops were captured in May 1943 when Tunisia finally fell to the Allies.

Most of the men in Burkhardt's battalion had been gradually flown out of Africa due to sickness. In fact, the battalion suffered far more from various illnesses than casualties inflicted by Allies. Hence, when the Ramcke Brigade was disbanded most of the men from the old Lehr Battalion found themselves in Germany and France. These men then became the cadre for a second formation of the Lehr Battalion, which was temporarily designated as I./FJR7 for the Mussolini rescue. Just after the Mussolini mission the batallion was then taken out of the 2.FJD and once more became the Lehr battalion. As such it fought at Anzio, where it wiped out a US Ranger battalion of nearly 800 men. Later the Lehr battalion was expanded to a regiment under the leadership of Knight's Cross holder Henry Herrmann.

Ramcke Brigade composition:

Battalion Kroh – formed from the 1st Battalion of Fallschirmjaeger Regiment2, just returned from Russia
Battalion Huebner – formed from the 2nd Battalion of the newly formedFallschirmjaeger Regiment 5
Battalion Burkhardt – formed from a demonstration/training (Lehr) Battalion
Battalion von der Heydte – a newly raised unit
Artillery Battalion – formed from the 2nd Battalion of 7th Flieger Division’sparachute artillery Regiment, commander was Fenski
Anti-tank Company, commander was Hasender
Signal Company
Pioneer Company, commander was Captain Cord Tietjen

I./FJR7 roll list at the time of the Gran Sasso raid (not all of them took part in the operation):

Batt Kommandeur - Major Otto Harald Mors, from 01.08.43 - 30.09.43
Adjutant - Oberleutnant Hans Joachim Kurth, later Leutnant Herold
Ordinance Offizier - Oberleutnant Alfred Romanskie, Oberleutnant Böger & Rolfs
N.-Zug - Leutnant Karl-Heinz Blumenthal
Hauptfw. - Feldwebel Herbert Ripke
Stabskompanie - Oberleutnant Hannes Weber, Kurth, Oberzahlm Becker, Leutnant Lungwitz, Oberzahlm Schmidt, Zalhm Both, Dr.Brunner, Dr.Schulze.

1.Kompanie - Oberleutnant Georg Freiherr von Berlepsch (Oberleutnant Weiss)
I.Zug - Leutnant Joswig - Feldwebel Rahden, (Feldwebel Bosshammer)
II.Zug - Feldwebel Eugen Abel - Feldwebel Alfred Asbach
III.Zug - Leutnant Hannes Weber+9.9.43, Leutnant Gradler - Feldwebel Matthias Heck
Kompanietrupp - Fw Bosshammer, Fw Vieth, Oberjäger Karrenbrock, Obj Irrgang, Gef Klein

2.Kompanie - Oberleutnant Heinz Georg Fischer (HFw Flöricke)
I.Zug - Leutnant Schmidt - Fw Otto Pawelcyk
II.Zug - Leutnant Otterbein - Fw Franz Kopp
III.Zug - Leutnant Wolter - Fw Erich Pliwischkies

3.Kompanie - Oberleutnant Karl Schulze (HFw Walter Schmidt, HFw Kleber)
I.Zug - Leutnant Hahn - Stabsfeldwebel A.Ehrmann
II.Zug - Leutnant Lücht - Leutnant Braun
III.Zug - Oberfeldwebel Schröder - Fw Treml

4.Kompanie - Hauptmann Lisowski (Fw Ernst Könnecke)
I.Zug - Leutnant Keller - Fw Lenhardt
II.Zug - Leutnant Opel - Fw Bunte (Fw Kempe)
III.Zug - Leutnant Ehrlich - Fw Wolk

https://www.feldgrau.com/ww2-german-fallschirmjäger-brigade-ramcke/
https://www.feldgrau.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27396
I./ FJR 7 - Sep 1943 (Gran Sasso). - Axis History Forum (this one is a detailed description of the raid with first hand accounts, including may from Skorzeny).

https://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=112&art_id=698&kb_cat_id=34

Neat pictures the MG team with the helmet netting to the side on one guy look pretty cool, thanks for posting this extra stuff. I'm surprised 3R never made an Otto Skorzeny.

Neat pictures the MG team with the helmet netting to the side on one guy look pretty cool, thanks for posting this extra stuff. I'm surprised 3R never made an Otto Skorzeny.

Seeing a clearer version this photo...

394629-g5.jpg

...in the book 7th Flieger Division: Student's Fallschirmjager Elite...

fs.jpg

...I realised that the fourth from the left has a rifle grenade launcher attached, which explains Ujindou choice for this figure.

I may be mistaken but didn't DML/Dragon release a similar figure that included the side of the Junkers 52 as a display base?

EDIT: Yep! Very cool way to display the figure. (found these pics in an Ebay auction):

s-l500.jpg
s-l500 (1).jpg

I had a similar display with an 82nd Airborne or 101st Airborne figure that came with the doorway from a C-47.
Here is a really old pic of my hobby room showing it towards the bottom-left:

Figs Shelf 3.jpg

I may be mistaken but didn't DML/Dragon release a similar figure that included the side of the Junkers 52 as a display base?

EDIT: Yep! Very cool way to display the figure. (found these pics in an Ebay auction):

View attachment 586200View attachment 586201

I had a similar display with an 82nd Airborne or 101st Airborne figure that came with the doorway from a C-47.

View attachment 586203

Nice collection. :)

I'm still kicking myself for letting most of mine go. Dragon were ahead of the game with their tailoring and weapons at the time.

I thought that was DiD's Max Schmelling at first, but the fuselage is narrower either side of the door:

ms1.jpg
ms2.jpg
ms3.jpg
ms4.jpg

Ujindou made a Fallschirmjager for Ardennes:

msu1.jpg
msu2.jpg

View attachment 586203
Nice display! I think that figure's name was Frank he was one of the ones I had, he was a 101st Market garden garden figure.

Do you still have all these figures?

Back