Toys Wonderland

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

Bleah

Well-unknown member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reaction score
Woooooooow... so this is Sideshow's doing I'm assuming.

Bleah

Well-unknown member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reaction score
I want to read more info on how and what collectibles are these claims of copyright that are in contention.

Victοr

Completionism Is The Collection Killer
CF Supporter
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reaction score
That's a bummer. I find TW very useful for tracking down older figures and having the assurance that it's a shop behind it and not just a guy on eBay. I hope it's sorted out soon. I do have one question though. If it's S-Show they're talking about, they do offer global shipping. I don't get this part there.

chrisstbh

Not banned yet
CF Supporter
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Reaction score
Scummy af movie by Sideshow. By this logic we shouldn’t be allowed to resell our own figures on eBay etc. Since TW buy the figures themselves, and resell them.

Even if you aren’t a fan of TW you shouldn’t be in favour of this at all.

asgardianboy

Super Freak
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Reaction score
That's a bummer. I find TW very useful for tracking down older figures and having the assurance that it's a shop behind it and not just a guy on eBay. I hope it's sorted out soon. I do have one question though. If it's S-Show they're talking about, they do offer global shipping. I don't get this part there.
Older toys? Do they sell 2nd hand, rare figs on a regular base?

This should ignite us into reflecting about what an "exclusive distribution" deal actually means (assuming SSC is the culprit; they have that kind of deal w/ HT, right?). I guess it is legally tied to one or more countries, and assures you no other players based on that territory competing with you AT DISTRIBUTOR LEVEL. If you sue resellers from other countries, you are then asking for exclusivity AT RETAIL LEVEL for a given country, which does not make sense: consumers are free to bypass SSC's distribution network.
...right?

Victοr

Completionism Is The Collection Killer
CF Supporter
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reaction score
Older toys? Do they sell 2nd hand, rare figs on a regular base?

This should ignite us into reflecting about what an "exclusive distribution" deal actually means (assuming SSC is the culprit; they have that kind of deal w/ HT, right?). I guess it is legally tied to one or more countries, and assures you no other players based on that territory competing with you AT DISTRIBUTOR LEVEL. If you sue resellers from other countries, you are then asking for exclusivity AT RETAIL LEVEL for a given country, which does not make sense: consumers are free to bypass SSC's distribution network.
...right?
No, they just sell new stuff and whatever they have in-stock. I'm not talking legalities or trying to excuse them, I was just wondering what that particular line ("While this USA based company is unable to provide a shipping service globally [...]") meant as I'm not based in the US and have bought stuff from SS. I don't know what kind of loophole they found to create this problem for TW, I'm curious what that bit means in their statement though.

Asta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reaction score
Sideshow has the distribution rights for the US and Europe.

On and off they've tried to prevent Hong Kong retailers from selling to customers outside of their own region.

The copyright claims may also refer to TW's use of Hot Toys' images, as I think that was an issue that came up a while back.

DarkChocobi

Lucas loyalist
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reaction score
Pretty much as long as TW do not trespass on SS's Hot Toys territory (North America and Europe?), they would be fine..seemingly.

chrisstbh

Not banned yet
CF Supporter
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Reaction score
Sideshow has the distribution rights for the US and Europe.

On and off they've tried to prevent Hong Kong retailers from selling to customers outside of their own region.

The copyright claims may also refer to TW's use of Hot Toys' images, as I think that was an issue that came up a while back.
TW are only reselling though, what’s next are they gonna try and shut down eBay, Facebook, this board?

TW buy the figures from Secret Base at retail price and simply resell it, they don’t claim to be an official retailer/distributor, just some guys reselling their toys.

Yeah they had to start using edited images from Justins figure previews, whereas Toys Buying Agent just use generic google images of the character now.

The whole situation is just crazy.

DarkChocobi

Lucas loyalist
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reaction score
TW are only reselling though, what’s next are they gonna try and shut down eBay, Facebook, this board?

TW buy the figures from Secret Base at retail price and simply resell it, they don’t claim to be an official retailer/distributor, just some guys reselling their toys.

Yeah they had to start using edited images from Justins figure previews, whereas Toys Buying Agent just use generic google images of the character now.

ItsNotPersonal.jpg

Dave_W

Super Freak
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Reaction score

Wasn't that sorted already though? That's why they always use Justin's photos on the site.

Asta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reaction score

Sideshow are desperate to keep their monopoly, limiting quantities for US retailers and attempting to stop imports from Hong Kong/China.

As far as they're concerned TW is no different to any other retailer purchasing figures with the sole intent to sell.

Justin, who always promotes TW, discusses the current issue with them in this video from 3:55:

Wasn't that sorted already though? That's why they always use Justin's photos on the site.

Apparently so.

chrisstbh

Not banned yet
CF Supporter
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Reaction score
Sideshow are desperate to keep their monopoly, limiting quantities for US retailers and attempting to stop imports from Hong Kong/China.

As far as they're concerned TW is no different to any other retailer purchasing figures with the sole intent to sell.

Justin, who always promotes TW, discusses the current issue with them in this video from 3:55:

Apparently so.

Apparently they’ve been going after eBay sellers too? Absolutely ridiculous if true. Sideshow has absolutely no right to do that.

Asta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reaction score
Justin said that the unnamed business (i.e. Sideshow) sent copyright claims to the website host of TW saying that they have the distribution rights to the US. That is, a "fraudulent" copyright strike to stop TW from 'distributing' - even though TW aren't buying the figures at wholesale, but at retail prices.