• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Collector Freaks and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Touble with Scammers in the trade forum? Let us know. *Also tips for new buyers*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another one who sent me an email selling me the statue cheap but he wants me to pay using Zelle and friends & family only!! Is always the same excuse , the PayPal is never working for them, you need to use Zelle as a payment with Friends & family and then take a screenshot!!! :rotfl

Just watch out for the guys always claiming the PayPal is not working and they want you to use Zelle instead!

*** Theres no protection to the buyers when you use Zelle as payments. ***

Name: Paul Nelson
Email: [email protected]

View attachment 513691
Actually, I myself have been having problems adding funds to my paypal account.
Really ****** me off because I need to order new brake shoes and a drive belt for my bike

Last edited by a moderator:
Asking here since it seems the best place. So, how do trades work, exactly? Who sends their item first, etc? Since there is no third party like PayPal to arbitrate a dispute, are both participants just on the honor system?

Asking here since it seems the best place. So, how do trades work, exactly? Who sends their item first, etc? Since there is no third party like PayPal to arbitrate a dispute, are both participants just on the honor system?
If you aren't exchanging money for goods then it really is based on an honor system. But first make sure the person you are trading with isn't a brand new member (like within the last month or so)
Be sure to check their feedback as well if they have any yet.

You should both
exchange names, addresses, and if you like you can exchange phone numbers (extra sense of security)
Then both agree to ship out on the same date or within a day or 2 of each other.

Then provide tracking numbers. I usually always insure my packages too for a little over the value just incase they claim it was stolen off thier porch or whatever.

Also be sure to stay in touch and keep your inbox clear of old or junk messages so you dont exceed your limit and find yourself unable to recieve new messages.
(Another reason for the phone number)

Let each other know after you have recieved your items and after you do an inspection besure to leave each other good feedback.

In most cases the members on here are very polite honest people especially thoes of us who have been around a while. We tend to buy sell and trade often.

I haven't personally had a problem with anyone yet and like myself everyone I deal with packages items very secure and they arrive just like they sent them.

If in the rare event you run into a problem with anyone let us know on here so I can add their information to the list and have the admin ban them.

Have Fun

Last edited:
Guys,

The best way to prevent an issue is look at how long the member has been here. The ones who just joined I would be very careful.
I have seen images of figures from Google which is another issue and the other thing you can do is ask they take a picture of the item with their name and date

Another option I've heard besides the one @youngguns303 suggested is that you both decide on a certain amount of $ and send each other that amount via Paypal invoicing. If one side doesn't hold up their end of the bargain, you file a claim with Paypal and get your money back... Otherwise you will send each other the same amount so it's a clean break.

I got a messagte from someone named Berger. Seems to be banned already?

He wrote:
"Send a message across to Colton Holmes on holmescolton@aol. (c o m) He has the OneToys 1:6 Go Ballistic A Alex Mercer for sale in new condition..."
Maybe you should add this email adress, too.

I got a messagte from someone named Berger. Seems to be banned already?

He wrote:
"Send a message across to Colton Holmes on holmescolton@aol. (c o m) He has the OneToys 1:6 Go Ballistic A Alex Mercer for sale in new condition..."
Maybe you should add this email adress, too.
Got the same message but for dark souls statues.

as someone who recently started an account and plans to hopefully buy stuff from this forum it is sad to see theres a decent amount of scammers, glad this post exists tho.

Delete if not allowed: A casual friend of mine got scammed. Basically, the buyer paid for a couple figures with PayPal and they agreed to meet in person. Buyer paid and picked the figures up in a public place. About 3 days later, the buyer did a chargeback through PayPal dispute. Of course, there is no tracking number to support delivery. (PayPal will only support a seller if theres a tracking number that shows delivered.)

My advice is if you sell locally only accept cash or "friends and family" in PayPal. I know it's tempting to accept Goods and services in PayPal because youre actually meeting the person who claims to "live right by you." Don't do it.

Jeez. That’s horrible. @Creighton
Its sad indeed. The worst part is that most people will want to pay with "good and services" to likewise protect themselves as buyer BUT also use their credit card if its a large purchase on a few figures. Asking buyers to use "friends and family" to pay for goods is just as unsavory to them as there's no refund. If I sell locally, I will only accept cash but offer enough discount to make it worth it to them. Ebay would charge 13% so I could match that.

people always ruin everything. now they've even found a loophole in meeting in person.
one of those things, you never imagine until someone does it. The fact that he scammed him to his face is just - no words.

Wow, I'm pretty shocked and dismayed to see how many scammers there are... can't the mods at least boot the known scammers ???

I also wonder if some of more persistent ones have multiple accounts/IDs and just change their names around :(

Last edited:
Delete if not allowed: A casual friend of mine got scammed. Basically, the buyer paid for a couple figures with PayPal and they agreed to meet in person. Buyer paid and picked the figures up in a public place. About 3 days later, the buyer did a chargeback through PayPal dispute. Of course, there is no tracking number to support delivery. (PayPal will only support a seller if theres a tracking number that shows delivered.)

My advice is if you sell locally only accept cash or "friends and family" in PayPal. I know it's tempting to accept Goods and services in PayPal because youre actually meeting the person who claims to "live right by you." Don't do it.

Although good advice, this can also happen even if you are not doing an in person transaction. On another forum there was someone who paid "friends family" for a pricey grail- but then filed a credit card dispute. They got the grail and their money back. So apparently you aren't completely safe, regardless of how you pay.

On another forum where I do a lot more buying and selling- I always get the person's personal details including name, phone number, email and address- and will provide mine as well. If it's a lot of money, I'll get a photo of their ID as well. This not only filters out the people trying to pull a fast one with a false account, it also helps avoid misunderstandings arising out of communication difficulties... if nothing else, you at least have a name you can use if you want to pursue legal action or report them to the police...

It’s sad indeed. The worst part is that most people will want to pay with "good and services" to likewise protect themselves as buyer BUT also use their credit card if its a large purchase on a few figures. Asking buyers to use "friends and family" to pay for goods is just as unsavory to them as there's no refund. If I sell locally, I will only accept cash but offer enough discount to make it worth it to them. Ebay would charge 13% so I could match that.
Interesting. I’ve never sold anything and want to unload some 1/6 so this is all very helpful.

Back