Top Gun: Maverick

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was literally doing the whistling portion of the football song while painting my deck the other day, lol. They really did deliver with the music in this movie.

I listened to the Gaga song before seeing the film and thought 'wait, I thought this kind of power ballad is considered a bit cringe nowadays' - calling to mind My Heart Will Go On from Titanic, or the ones from Pearl Harbor and Avatar.

But I really think it works right there at the end of this triumphant film. Just leaves me with the right feels. And as I said it does seem like this film's callback to Take My Breath Away similar to how the Football song I Aint Worried is obviously the Volleyball song Playing With The Boys from the original.

They reused Danger Zone of course and Great Balls of Fire both to important effect. Not sure there was a You've Lost That Loving Feeling though? I don't mean that actual song as it was sort of the song of Maverick and Charlie's relationship but a corresponding type song for this film.

As for Zimmer, well he's the go-to man for contemporary orchestral scoring and there's some terrific stuff in this, particularly the romantic stuff and the victory music - I'm not yet familiar with track titles, I've been listening to ''Suite'' sort of uploads on Youtube.

I listened to the Gaga song before seeing the film and thought 'wait, I thought this kind of power ballad is considered a bit cringe nowadays' - calling to mind My Heart Will Go On from Titanic, or the ones from Pearl Harbor and Avatar.

But I really think it works right there at the end of this triumphant film. Just leaves me with the right feels.
Agreed 100%!

I literally expected people in the theater to groan or laugh but everyone was totally into it. :yess:

The qualities of this movie remind me of Cap and Coulson's exchange in The Avengers.

"Aren't the stars and stripes a little old fashioned?"

"With everything going on right now people just might need 'a little old fashioned.'"

And Maverick certainly is in all the best ways.

The trailers made it look like it was a good movie but I wouldn't have dared believe it'd be as good as it ended up being.

Sidenote - anyone know that 'Bob', played by one Lewis Pullman, is....yep, Bill Pullman's son?

The trailers made it look like it was a good movie but I wouldn't have dared believe it'd be as good as it ended up being.

Sidenote - anyone know that 'Bob', played by one Lewis Pullman, is....yep, Bill Pullman's son?
Interesting, nope I didn't know that. That's pretty cool that both father and son got to star in iconic movies where they fly F-18's. :)

Bill: "But I was the actual pilot in my F-18 son."

Lewis: "But my F-18 actually left the ground Dad..."

lol

8uinm.jpg

I just caught this and I was impressed. I wouldn’t have even thought about seeing it if a few friends hadn’t really recommended it. Kinda funny reading some of the negative comments about it from 2015 now. :lol

I wish Cruise would allow his likeness rights. I would get figures of him from so many films.

Before Hot Toys was the Hot Toys as most people know them as of today, they started out as a little brand that did oversized military figures and knock offs like Redman Toys, stuff like that. They did an unlicensed MI2 Ethan Hunt and a George Lucas ( IIRC, called "The Director") This was a LONG time ago.

The Lucas figure IIRC got a real cease and desist. Old George was apparently really aggressive about that kind of stuff ( and I can understand why...)

Cruise might have never forgiven HT for that. He sort of seems like the type to be honest. I don't mean that in a bad way. Once you burn a bridge with someone like that, it's burned. It's not like he needs the money.

I'm not sure the timeline of when HT started getting the license to SW figures coincided with Lucas selling to Disney or not. He might have held that grudge too.

Those were the days.... Does anyone remember the Poppo Toys heads? Bill Kern would make them, resin cast them and sell them for a whopping 10 bucks each on Ebay. LOL. I think I still have his Blade resin head somewhere.

There was a point in the hobby when it was still incredibly exciting, because so much had not been made yet. Now it's very commercial and sanitized. I remember when Ebay was actually fun. Now it's a terrifying experience to sell anything on there.

The world is kind of backwards when you realize everything that Lloyd Dobbler said in Say Anything was right.

Cruise might have never forgiven HT for that. He sort of seems like the type to be honest. I don't mean that in a bad way. Once you burn a bridge with someone like that, it's burned. It's not like he needs the money.
This is where we need someone like InArt (or others) to swoop in and give us the Maverick 1/6 figure we all need!

For now, I'm satisfied with my 1/72 Calibre Wings F-14 from Top Gun, and my pre-order for the 1/72 F/A-18 from Top Gun Maverick, and the tiny 1/72 scale Maverick pilot figures that come with them.

Back