Top Gun: Maverick

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha, funny to circle back to this 2015 post of mine from the first page of this thread:

Re: Top Gun 2

If Cruise returns then I hope this comes out the same year as Blomkamp's ALIENS 2. Imagine three decades after Top Gun and ALIENS Maverick and Hicks randomly sharing the same multiplex again. :lol
Is Biehn going to be in Avatar 2? Funny that James Cameron will actually be releasing a sci-fi sequel the same year that Maverick takes flight once again, lol.

Even the behind the scenes stuff with Kilmer and Anthony Edwards is heartwarming knowing how much Kilmer appreciated and enjoyed getting to come back and work with Tom again in such a high profile movie. And then Cruise reaching out to Edwards to give him a private pre-release screening of the movie in Edwards' own home.

Obviously Tom has his crazy side but he really seems like a class act who stays loyal to those he worked with even long after his career has far surpassed theirs. And he seems to stay away from politics which is so nice right now.

More cool stuff:

1. He kept the bomber jacket after filming the first movie so it's literally the same jacket in TGM. :yess:

2. Jerry Bruckheimer kept the watch that Tom wore in the original and loaned it back to him to wear again in this movie, lol.

3. The P-51 Mustang that appears in the movie is Tom's real life plane and that is really him flying Connelly around at the end.

4. The studio had been trying to get him to make a sequel for decades and he always entertained the idea but kept refusing because he just didn't like any of the pitches. So that's a good sign that the success of this film won't trigger a quick cash grab for a follow up.

More cool stuff:

1. He kept the bomber jacket after filming the first movie so it's literally the same jacket in TGM. :yess:

2. Jerry Bruckheimer kept the watch that Tom wore in the original and loaned it back to him to wear again in this movie, lol.
These are cool. Nice to see some continuity there. I'm surprised that jacket was not auctioned off somewhere. :lol

CDCAC7BF-83F1-45AA-B25A-A80B1EB8883F.jpeg

More cool stuff:

3. The P-51 Mustang that appears in the movie is Tom's real life plane and that is really him flying Connelly around at the end.

4. The studio had been trying to get him to make a sequel for decades and he always entertained the idea but kept refusing because he just didn't like any of the pitches. So that's a good sign that the success of this film won't trigger a quick cash grab for a follow up.
That's pretty cool and reminds me that she has aged as well as Cruise. If she's had work done, it's subtle and hasn't changed her appearance. Always one of my favorites.

I do wish they had used the F22 Raptors instead of the less thrilling F18 Hornets.

F22 drifting = bad ass!

My brother is a retired air force fighter pilot he flew those clunky F4 Phantoms and a few others.

The helmet I use in CC was his and he didn’t know I was using it lol
F-22s are Air Force only, not in the Navy.

That's pretty cool and reminds me that she has aged as well as Cruise. If she's had work done, it's subtle and hasn't changed her appearance. Always one of my favorites.
Yeah she looked amazing in this film. Better even than 10 or so years ago where she was starting to look super frail. As for her real life age of 51 we can always say that she was playing a character that is 54 to put Penny out of the "danger zone" back in 86, lol. Or since the original film always said "Present Day" instead of calling out 1986 specifically we can just pretend that it took place in 1988 or 1989 to pad Penny's age further.

I know that McGillis is bitter that she wasn't asked to return for what she calls "failing to maintain the Hollywood standard of beauty" but lets be real I think they did her a favor because if they went the "TFA Leia" route with her I do not think that audience reactions would have been kind.

Yeah she looked amazing in this film. Better even than 10 or so years ago where she was starting to look super frail. As for her real life age of 51 we can always say that she was playing a character that is 54 to put Penny out of the "danger zone" back in 86, lol. Or since the original film always said "Present Day" instead of calling out 1986 specifically we can just pretend that it took place in 1988 or 1989 to pad Penny's age further.

I know that McGillis is bitter that she wasn't asked to return for what she calls "failing to maintain the Hollywood standard of beauty" but lets be real I think they did her a favor because if they went the "TFA Leia" route with her I do not think that audience reactions would have been kind.
Especially since Kelly demanded a scene of her being blown out of an AC-130 gunship and floating her way back to the plane on a wind current.

The only plausible arch to have McGillis in the film would've been as one of the "heavies" (sorry, poor choice of words) for Harris or Hamm and since she was a civilian in 1986, that would've stretched things a bit. No reason to bring her back if not to be Maverick's love interest and that just wouldn't have been very authentic. As for Penny and the Danger Zone... Maverick did like to take risks and ask questions later...

1655307786894.png

Yeah this might be my favorite movie of all time. I've seen it twice already, and plan to watch it again this weekend.
I mentioned in my initial review that I was enjoying the film but didn't fully love it until the Iceman scene and then from then on I was all in. Others have said they were hooked right from the beginning. I think when I watch it again I'll love it from beginning to end but the Stealth bomber scene and accompanying "space man in the diner" had me unsure of what direction they were going to be going with the tone of the movie.

I mean are we to believe that he really ejected at Mach *10*??? Is that even possible for a human body to withstand?

I mentioned in my initial review that I was enjoying the film but didn't fully love it until the Iceman scene and then from then on I was all in. Others have said they were hooked right from the beginning. I think when I watch it again I'll love it from beginning to end but the Stealth bomber scene and accompanying "space man in the diner" had me unsure of what direction they were going to be going with the tone of the movie.

I mean are we to believe that he really ejected at Mach *10*??? Is that even possible for a human body to withstand?
My take is that the cockpit would have survived long enough for him to eject at subsonic speeds. Or it is possible the entire cockpit acts like a capsule on ejection.

Pattinson Batman hit his head on a bridge at virtually full speed from his flying suit scene and simply got up and walked away with a slight limp - and everybody seems to regard that film as a masterpiece? ;)

Back