Top Gun: Maverick

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m baffled by the love of this film. Don’t get me wrong, it’s good but really just a carbon copy of the first movie. Another The Force Awakens if you will. Albeit a much better movie than that one.

I said in another post I like all the Mission Impossible movies (minus MI2) more than this one as far as Tom Cruise movies go. Slap Edge of Tomorrow in there also.

I’m not knocking the film. It’s a really well done Hollywood blockbuster but it just followed the beats of the first film a little too closely for me to ever be considered great.

Having said that I have only seen it once so I may have had my expectations a tad too high. Would not be the first time that happened and I 2nd viewing may be what I need.
I loved the design of the plane at the beginning. Absolutely amazing.
It wasn't a bad movie, per-se. But i also don't get the love.
I have no stakes in it, other than i do like the original, as cheesy and 80's as it is.
Not knocking anyone who likes or loves it, but i can't agree that it is even in the same league as the LOTR movies, or IW and EG, lol(But i am an unapologetic fan of the Marvel movies, and cry every time i hear "On your left", and "assemble". That movie beat when they all start arriving through the portals. It's incredible to me).
But to each their own. If you loved this, that's great. We can't all like the same things.

I don't watch superhero movies. I especially detest the Marvel ones. So, those don't factor into it for me. I also hadn't seen the first Top Gun when I saw Maverick. It is somewhat derivative of the first one, now I've seen both, but I really liked TGM.
I haven't sat down and thought about where it'd fit on a list of my favourite movies or anything, but it'd sit high on a list for the last 10 years at least.

TGM seems to me to be more like The Dam Busters and Star Wars than the first Top Gun. The first film was an overly jingoistic statement crossed with a music video whereas this is just a great adventure film.

Watched this again, gosh I love this movie.

I love that it opens with Mav tightening screws on his P-38 all by himself and then closes with him doing the same but then Rooster enters the frame to help him out, then he notices Penny's daughter, then sees Penny herself to complete a full-fledged family in contrast to Rooster's previously scathing comment that he had no wife or kids to mourn him when he dies. Then add them flying off into the sunset and you truly have the perfect ending. I really hope they let it be.

I also like the little Labyrinth Easter Egg by having Bowie playing on the jukebox the first time Connelly is introduced in her bar. :)

And I don't know that I picked up before that Maverick said that his tenure as Top Gun instructor was "almost" 30 years ago, setting the events of this film at 2015 at the latest and therefore taking Penny's age out of the danger zone, lol.

Watched this again, gosh I love this movie.

I love that it opens with Mav tightening screws on his P-38 all by himself and then closes with him doing the same but then Rooster enters the frame to help him out, then he notices Penny's daughter, then sees Penny herself to complete a full-fledged family in contrast to Rooster's previously scathing comment that he had no wife or kids to mourn him when he dies. Then add them flying off into the sunset and you truly have the perfect ending. I really hope they let it be.

I also like the little Labyrinth Easter Egg by having Bowie playing on the jukebox the first time Connelly is introduced in her bar. :)

And I don't know that I picked up before that Maverick said that his tenure as Top Gun instructor was "almost" 30 years ago, setting the events of this film at 2015 at the latest and therefore taking Penny's age out of the danger zone, lol.
What do you mean regarding Penny's age?

What do you mean regarding Penny's age?
Since Jennifer Connelly herself was 15 in 1986 when Penny and Maverick supposedly first got in trouble there were some of us wondering what the underlying implications of that were if Connelly and her character were supposed to be the same age. But if TGM takes place in 2015 (since Mav says his time as a TG instructor was "almost 30 years ago") and then you take JC's real life on-screen age of 50 then age 50 at 2015 means her character would have been 21 in 1986 (again, assuming that JC and Penny were the same age) which would obviously be much less problematic than 15...

Just silly theories that we were joking around about when the movie first came out. ;)

Since Jennifer Connelly herself was 15 in 1986 when Penny and Maverick supposedly first got in trouble there were some of us wondering what the underlying implications of that were if Connelly and her character were supposed to be the same age. But if TGM takes place in 2015 (since Mav says his time as a TG instructor was "almost 30 years ago") and then you take JC's real life on-screen age of 50 then age 50 at 2015 means her character would have been 21 in 1986 (again, assuming that JC and Penny were the same age) which would obviously be much less problematic than 15...

Just silly theories that we were joking around about when the movie first came out. ;)
Ah, thanks for the context :)

It's up for Best Picture. Won't win obviously.
Only because ”Everything, everywhere, all at once” deserves it even more. What a freakingly hilarious ride that was. Although I expect something else will win. Nothing I truly like ever wins. Last time I thought I’d be right was with La-La-Land, we all know how that went… or shall I say “wentn’t”.

Banshees or Tar should win BP. They're the only ones I've watched multiple times and find that they have something to offer. EEAAO started off fine but became ridiculously tiresome apart from Ke Huy Quan's character who was the MVP. Elvis was whatever. Triangle was trite. AQOTEF was mediocre. Fabelmans I refuse to watch on grounds of how much of a self-felating flick it is.

As for Maverick, I've rewatched it about 10 times now. I love this film. Pure enjoyment.

gif

Back