Top 5 Most Disappointing "Reveals" in Star Wars movies

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebor

Super Freak
Reaction score
While I was thinking about what scenes in Star Wars were "impactful" and my favorite; I started to think What are the most disappointing 'reveals' in Star Wars--and specifically character reveals:

My top 5: (without too much dissertation)

1) In ROTJ when Luke takes off Vader's helmet--revealing a pathetic/weak old man (far from the feared, menacing character that I had been exposed to in the previous movies) I always pictured Vader as a mean person--not some loveable 'grand-pa' type person;

2) Leia and Luke being sister & brother (especially after the 'kisses' they shared);

3) Boba Fett's reveal with out helmet in the Mandalorian--keep the mystery!;

4) Dar Jin's reveal with out helmet in the Mandalorian Season 2--keep the mystery!;

5) Rey being a Emperor Palpatine's grand daughter;

Honorable mention: C-3Pee O being built by Anakin--yeah sure an 8 year old kid can be handy--but build a droid...preposterous!

Have at it Freaks...

1. Somehow Palpatine returned

2. Every morning during a season of a show when we're getting a shorter episode than the week before, lol.

That's really it for me. OT was history for me and the PT was mostly over with by the time I saw ROTS in theaters. I like the ST and the story only really disappoints me because they decided to bring back Palpatine's rotting corpse like that. Had they properly set it up, I think I'd have been fine with it.

I still can't believe Palpatines speech that's mentioned in the opening credits was only available in a Fortnite event

Delving deeper into the depression of Star Wars, eh...?

Most disappointing reveals in descending order of magnitude:

1. Darth is a title
2. Vader built 3PO
3. Jango Fett is Boba Fett
4. Leia can fly
5. Rey is a Palpatine

Delving deeper into the depression of Star Wars, eh...?

Most disappointing reveals in descending order of magnitude:

1. Darth is a title
2. Vader built 3PO
3. Jango Fett is Boba Fett
4. Leia can fly
5. Rey is a Palpatine
I forgot about Mary Poppins, thanks for reminding me...

5. How could the Stormtroopers in the opening of A New Hope blast through the doors, overtake the rebel soldiers, clear an obedient path for Vader, track down, stun and bring Leia before him and be all kinds of a serious threat to getting beaten up and defeated by a bunch of teddy bears.

4. Rose Tico and Finn. I don’t know what mission they had to accomplish because all I could think of was these two characters are actually dumber than Jar Jar Binks!

3. Jar Jar Binks

2. Losing Gary Kurtz as the producer. He had his hand in Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Raiders of the Lost Ark. after his falling out with Lucas, Lucas never made a decent film again.

1. Overdubbing Boba Fett’s voice in Empire and all the other needless tinkering Lucas did with the OT.

The entire story of TFA which set the ST inexorably on its terrible course. After such a long time since ROTJ and the original cast coming back ''oh.....this is what they're going with......''

After that start I couldn't care what they did in the next 2 films.

2. Losing Gary Kurtz as the producer. He had his hand in Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Raiders of the Lost Ark. after his falling out with Lucas, Lucas never made a decent film again.

This is very true. And sad.

He was the good voice in Lucas' head -- OK'd the right ideas, quashed the dumb ones. Again, his absence makes this apparent.

What a trifecta at the time:
Star Wars 1977
Empire Strikes Back 1980
Raiders of the Lost Ark 1981

1. The Sequel Trilogy being announced with 3 separate directors and different creative teams onboard meaning there wouldn’t be a unified vision.

2. JJ picking the person who wrote Batman v Superman to write IX.

3. Rey being not just a Palpatine, but the daughter of a cloned Palpatine son makes it just worse and awkward.

4. I mean all the “reveals” in IX were terrible, but the idiotic Sith dagger held up to the Death Star II ruins reveal nonsense just really encapsulates how stupid the writing is.

5. Luke reveal at the end of TFA being a wordless cameo.

1) In ROTJ when Luke takes off Vader's helmet--revealing a pathetic/weak old man (far from the feared, menacing character that I had been exposed to in the previous movies) I always pictured Vader as a mean person--not some loveable 'grand-pa' type person;

That was the point though. The reveal that the much feared and reviled Dark Lord of the Sith Darth Vader was actually a scarred and broken shadow of a man under the helmet is part of the importance of that reveal and what ultimately made his story tragic.

That Vader lives with this immense physical pain gives him depth which was foreshadowed in ESB and brought full circle in ROTJ. That realization is part of what stops Luke from killing his father in the throne room and falling to the Dark Side.

It elevated Vader from just another physically intimidating henchman or villain to a character with an actual journey and arc, even in the relatively short amount of screen time given to it.

2) Leia and Luke being sister & brother (especially after the 'kisses' they shared);

They weren’t originally planned to be. But it’s fine. We just don’t think about it.

Sequel Trilogy is full of cringiness so I’ll leave it alone.

1. Vader unmasking: I remember as a kid thinking how bad ass Vader was and he turned out to be grandpa. My little brain had pictured something much cooler.

2. midichlorians: super hero jedi

3. Book of Boba Fett: To date (subject to change) - Overly sensitive Fett vs ruthless badass. I’d rather they not reveal this side of him.

4. Grevious the Tin Man vs feared killing machine in orginal Clone Wars short series

5. Luke and Leia being brother and sister

6. Darth Vader scene in Rogue One and reimaged SC 38. Revealed how cool Vader could have been on screen

Last edited:
And yet Vader's revelation was amazing. Everybody pictured someone cool, someone badass. The reality is he was a long time just a broken sad man.

1. I forgot Midichlorians, Dang it Darkseed beat me too it! How about Lucas's endless tinkering of the OT like to complete change of dialog between The Emperor and Vader on the Executor .

2. The god awful dialog between Padme and Anakin in ATOC and ROTS​

3. The farting Eopie
4. Round Head Johnson
5. Darth Maul being under utilized.

Last edited:
And yet Vader's revelation was amazing. Everybody pictured someone cool, someone badass. The reality is he was a long time just a broken sad man.
Yeah….10 yr old me wanted the reveal to be something like cyborb from JL….grown up me understanding the history and lore can appreciate it much better

Back