TOMY Prestige Select Die-cast 1/350 Scale Enterprise Replica

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Granted they screwed up. But they owned up to it by admitting their mistakes and offering refunds. Many took the refunds though we’ll never know the exact percentages.

But IMO the mishaps were overblown. The screw holes are there as are the seams but they don’t detract from the model. The overall build, the details, paint, being diecast and the electronics really overcome the aforementioned shortcomings.

MY BIG GRIPE…are the batteries. This should have been powered by a power supply. But I knew that going in. So that’s on me.

But overall I love mine! : )

View attachment 672372
Hi what is the issue with the enterprise ? I received mine but have not opened the box yet . What should I be looking for ? Charlie

Hi what is the issue with the enterprise ? I received mine but have not opened the box yet . What should I be looking for ? Charlie
Hey Charlie! The entire scandal were with the screw holes and seam lines on the saucer, secondary hull and nacelles. They couldn't address those issues like they promised and people were screaming bloody murder. I get it and understand why people were upset. Promises weren't kept and people were understandably disappointed and felt like they were mislead.

But in the end the issues were not egregious in my opinion. There really aren't any issues really. Just look at the screw caps, seams make sure there aren't any major screw ups there. Check to make sure all your electronics works...that is priority no.1. And make sure there aren't any paint screw ups or major gaps.

Hope that helps!

It’s also the stand and the supports. They showed off their prototype without the supports on the stand. What’s worse is the supports attach to the stand only one way making you show off the ship where you have to see the plug holes, and the seams. The saucer support that covers the dome in particular was a deal breaker for me.

Bottom line TOMY over promised and under delivered, and when they showed the prototype off they didn’t show any of the supports. IMO they misled everyone.

For that much you can get a better painted and better looking model lighted of your choice of ships.
Ummm maybe but it would be close. I paid a modeler 1200 for a polar lights lit enterprise and while I love her, my TOMY is just better overall. The diecast, details, and paint job make for an outstanding replica.

The polar lights, I paid for years ago, so now the cost for hiring someone to make an equivalent model to the TOMY should be significantly higher.

I understand people being upset at feeling misled, but TOMY did an outstanding job on this model even with all the mishaps and broken promises. Refunds were offered and the customer service has been incredible with replacement parts for those who’ve had problems. The reviews from all owners I’ve heard from have been thoroughly happy with their TOMYS.

Despite the initial complaints and controversy, the TOMY ENTERPRISE has been a huge hit making owners beaming with pride. Which is why people are now willing to pay these exorbitant prices.

The saucer display stand can be removed permanently for a beautiful single stand display and the screw covers and seams are negligible and overblown.

I love mine and I have no regrets. At 600 bucks, which includes the tax and free shipping, makes this purchase a steal. I can’t wait for their REFIT! 😀

@Kebron and @1138sw both make good points. A search for 'sold' TOMY Enterprise pieces shows they are indeed fetching these prices. But it is still the case that for the $1500 price point, you can in fact have a gorgeously painted and lit Refit. I picked up this piece in that price range. But expect that if these guys wind up producing the Refit next, the price is going to double. I doubt we'll ever see another 1/350 scale Enterprise at that price point again.

Attachments

• HipstamaticPhoto-698182894.465329.JPG
    HipstamaticPhoto-698182894.465329.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 0
  • HipstamaticPhoto-698182923.787936.jpg
    HipstamaticPhoto-698182923.787936.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 0
  • HipstamaticPhoto-698182933.128335.JPG
    HipstamaticPhoto-698182933.128335.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 0
  • HipstamaticPhoto-698183151.869688.JPG
    HipstamaticPhoto-698183151.869688.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 0
  • HipstamaticPhoto-698183180.531468.JPG
    HipstamaticPhoto-698183180.531468.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 0
  • HipstamaticPhoto-698183185.539720.JPG
    HipstamaticPhoto-698183185.539720.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 0
  • HipstamaticPhoto-698183223.929320.JPG
    HipstamaticPhoto-698183223.929320.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 0
  • HipstamaticPhoto-698183205.952931.jpg
    HipstamaticPhoto-698183205.952931.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 0
@Kebron and @1138sw both make good points. A search for 'sold' TOMY Enterprise pieces shows they are indeed fetching these prices. But it is still the case that for the $1500 price point, you can in fact have a gorgeously painted and lit Refit. I picked up this piece in that price range. But expect that if these guys wind up producing the Refit next, the price is going to double. I doubt we'll ever see another 1/350 scale Enterprise at that price point again.
That's a hell of a nice ship! Beautiful! Who built it if you don't mind me asking?

I've had my share of TOS Enterprises now with my PL and now my TOMY so I am hoping the next ship TOMY DOES IS THE REFIT.

And yeah I agree I can't see them doing the REFIT at the same price point as the TOS. I would agree double the price but I am hoping they can keep it under a thousand...maybe 950? I don't mind paying tax as long as they can cover the shipping! LOL

I don’t believe TOMY will do the refit.

They had to modify the campaign just for it to succeed, people including myself are burned by their lies, and they had several of their backers ask for refunds.

Considering they teased mini ship versions over a year ago but we haven’t seen any new news on them. It leads me to believe they are done with Trek.

Ummm maybe but it would be close. I paid a modeler 1200 for a polar lights lit enterprise and while I love her, my TOMY is just better overall. The diecast, details, and paint job make for an outstanding replica.

The polar lights, I paid for years ago, so now the cost for hiring someone to make an equivalent model to the TOMY should be significantly higher.

I understand people being upset at feeling misled, but TOMY did an outstanding job on this model even with all the mishaps and broken promises. Refunds were offered and the customer service has been incredible with replacement parts for those who’ve had problems. The reviews from all owners I’ve heard from have been thoroughly happy with their TOMYS.

Despite the initial complaints and controversy, the TOMY ENTERPRISE has been a huge hit making owners beaming with pride. Which is why people are now willing to pay these exorbitant prices.

The saucer display stand can be removed permanently for a beautiful single stand display and the screw covers and seams are negligible and overblown.

I love mine and I have no regrets. At 600 bucks, which includes the tax and free shipping, makes this purchase a steal. I can’t wait for their REFIT! 😀
I’m glad you enjoy yours.

I just take a stance that we shouldn’t forgive companies that mislead and lie to us. To reward them for such behavior just encourages them to do it more. No matter how much I love Trek I can’t support what TOMY has done.

I’m glad you enjoy yours.

I just take a stance that we shouldn’t forgive companies that mislead and lie to us. To reward them for such behavior just encourages them to do it more. No matter how much I love Trek I can’t support what TOMY has done.
You shouldn't assume that TOMY intentionally lied to us. Chris and his team went above and beyond to try to make what they promised. One person who worked on the project genuinely confirms the sincerity of the team. I understand your disappointment and feelings of being lied too, but I don't think that was there intention. They were just over their head for a project of this magnitude and were probably so hyped that this would be the first project to launch...as they are obvious Trek fans...that they probably didn't anticipate the pitfalls and short timetable.

Unlike so many companies that have genuinely screwed up...both big an small...TOMY gave everyone an opportunity for complete refund. AND THEY DIDN'T DILLY DALLY ON THOSE REFUNDS. PEOPLE WERE REFUNDED QUICKLY. And they thoroughly backed their product by supporting any manufacturing defects. They didn't ignore their customer fan base. UNLIKE Other companies like Anovos. Master Replicas, Icons (if you go way back when) etc....who COMPLETELY SCREWED OVER THEIR CUSTOMERS AND NEVER LOOKED BACK, never giving their customers a chance to recoup any losses whatsoever.

Yes TOMY screwed up. But unlike most companies I think they will learn from this experience. And while these screw ups did happen they've got a base of completely happy customers who loved their Enterprise...like me. : ) Over 2000 of them all satisfied with a replica that is pretty damn awesome!

So while you may assume our happy customer actions are feeding the beast, we like to think we are encouraging them to continue on their mission of making high end replicas at affordable prices and avoiding their mistakes on their first and initial major product development.

You shouldn't assume that TOMY intentionally lied to us. Chris and his team went above and beyond to try to make what they promised. One person who worked on the project genuinely confirms the sincerity of the team. I understand your disappointment and feelings of being lied too, but I don't think that was there intention. They were just over their head for a project of this magnitude and were probably so hyped that this would be the first project to launch...as they are obvious Trek fans...that they probably didn't anticipate the pitfalls and short timetable.

Unlike so many companies that have genuinely screwed up...both big an small...TOMY gave everyone an opportunity for complete refund. AND THEY DIDN'T DILLY DALLY ON THOSE REFUNDS. PEOPLE WERE REFUNDED QUICKLY. And they thoroughly backed their product by supporting any manufacturing defects. They didn't ignore their customer fan base. UNLIKE Other companies like Anovos. Master Replicas, Icons (if you go way back when) etc....who COMPLETELY SCREWED OVER THEIR CUSTOMERS AND NEVER LOOKED BACK, never giving their customers a chance to recoup any losses whatsoever.

Yes TOMY screwed up. But unlike most companies I think they will learn from this experience. And while these screw ups did happen they've got a base of completely happy customers who loved their Enterprise...like me. : ) Over 2000 of them all satisfied with a replica that is pretty damn awesome!

So while you may assume our happy customer actions are feeding the beast, we like to think we are encouraging them to continue on their mission of making high end replicas at affordable prices and avoiding their mistakes on their first and initial major product development.
I could get behind your reasoning over the plug holes and seams. That’s something that they could have wanted to do but ran out of money to get done fair enough. The support system is a different animal all together though.

There was no mention of this needing a support system, in fact they talked about how it wouldn’t need it. Makers over at RPF though, they knew it Those same RPF makers said no way it will support itself especially over time (I’d keep an eye on those nacelles if I were you). So someone at TOMY knew and knew early that a support system would be needed. TOMY never showed it with the support system EVER. No one knew it was going to have one until after people had it in hand and pictures/videos showed it online. That’s an intentional lie.

They didn’t offer refunds until AFTER it was shipped and saw the negative reactions. They didn’t offer refunds until AFTER they saw people were upset. That’s not a standup thing to be praised for. That’s them hoping people won’t be upset at being misled and lied to.

Offering refunds and doing it quickly isn’t something to praise them for. That’s the bare minimum a company should do when they screwed up.

Telling your customers exactly what they are getting would have been the right thing to do but they didn’t they half assed it hoping not to many people would be upset.

My theory they didn’t show the support system cause they knew it wouldn’t get funded. Considering it barely got funded and that was AFTER they lowered the requirements it makes sense.

I could get behind your reasoning over the plug holes and seams. That’s something that they could have wanted to do but ran out of money to get done fair enough. The support system is a different animal all together though.

There was no mention of this needing a support system, in fact they talked about how it wouldn’t need it. Makers over at RPF though, they knew it Those same RPF makers said no way it will support itself especially over time (I’d keep an eye on those nacelles if I were you). So someone at TOMY knew and knew early that a support system would be needed. TOMY never showed it with the support system EVER. No one knew it was going to have one until after people had it in hand and pictures/videos showed it online. That’s an intentional lie.

They didn’t offer refunds until AFTER it was shipped and saw the negative reactions. They didn’t offer refunds until AFTER they saw people were upset. That’s not a standup thing to be praised for. That’s them hoping people won’t be upset at being misled and lied to.

Offering refunds and doing it quickly isn’t something to praise them for. That’s the bare minimum a company should do when they screwed up.

Telling your customers exactly what they are getting would have been the right thing to do but they didn’t they half assed it hoping not to many people would be upset.

My theory they didn’t show the support system cause they knew it wouldn’t get funded. Considering it barely got funded and that was AFTER they lowered the requirements it makes sense.

That is not true. Everyone was offered refunds WAY BEFORE SHIPPING WAS EXECUTED. I know because we were at least a month out before the shipping date and they gave notice telling everyone to DECIDE BEFORE THE SHIPPING DATE IF THEY WANTED A REFUND. So you are wrong on that count. I know cause I got that email and decided to keep mine. The RPF forum was rife with people deciding before the shipping date. Check that thread for further confirmation

Of course that is the bare minumum but many many companies don't even do that much! WE EXPECT REFUNDS TO HAPPEN BUT OFTEN THAN NOT THEY SCREW US OVER WITH NO REFUNDS OR PARTIAL REFUNDS. TOMY DID EXACTLY WHAT ANY RESONABLE COMPANY SHOULD DO...BUT UNFORTUNATELY MANY DON'T. In this day and age COMPANIES BAILING FROM THERE CUSTOMERS IS THE NORM IN THE COLLECTING INDUSTRY, so what TOMY did IS exceptional!

My uncle was screwed over by so many companies from Anovos to Icons out of products never received with NO POSSIBILITY OF REFUND OR PARTIAL REFUND. He's made me very aware of the pitfalls of such companies and TOMY thankfully isn't one of them.

And the support system while not the prettiest is still nice overall. And AS I SAID you don't need the saucer section support stand! It's main function is for saucer separation. Chris and his team made it clear that the single support stand was enough to display the Enterprise.

And man in that single display the Enterprise is awesome! : )

That is not true. Everyone was offered refunds WAY BEFORE SHIPPING WAS EXECUTED. I know because we were at least a month out before the shipping date and they gave notice telling everyone to DECIDE BEFORE THE SHIPPING DATE IF THEY WANTED A REFUND. So you are wrong on that count. I know cause I got that email and decided to keep mine. The RPF forum was rife with people deciding before the shipping date. Check that thread for further confirmation

Of course that is the bare minumum but many many companies don't even do that much! WE EXPECT REFUNDS TO HAPPEN BUT OFTEN THAN NOT THEY SCREW US OVER WITH NO REFUNDS OR PARTIAL REFUNDS. TOMY DID EXACTLY WHAT ANY RESONABLE COMPANY SHOULD DO...BUT UNFORTUNATELY MANY DON'T. In this day and age COMPANIES BAILING FROM THERE CUSTOMERS IS THE NORM IN THE COLLECTING INDUSTRY, so what TOMY did IS exceptional!

My uncle was screwed over by so many companies from Anovos to Icons out of products never received with NO POSSIBILITY OF REFUND OR PARTIAL REFUND. He's made me very aware of the pitfalls of such companies and TOMY thankfully isn't one of them.

And the support system while not the prettiest is still nice overall. And AS I SAID you don't need the saucer section support stand! It's main function is for saucer separation. Chris and his team made it clear that the single support stand was enough to display the Enterprise.

Sorry but you are wrong on that. People in Australia got their Enterprises early. BEFORE shipping notices even went out. You can look back here in this thread to see the exact time and the comments. After those pics and video got out that is when the emails went out about the refunds. It’s a very clear timeline.

So which is it is giving refunds the bare minimum as you admitted or is it exceptional as you claim at the end. It can’t be both. Praising a company for what they are suppose to do because another company is bad at giving refunds which they should do, isn’t something to boast about. Especially after they messed up, tried to hide it, and didn’t live up to their promises.

You are also totally skipping over them hiding the need for a support stand.

And good luck with your saucer section if you have faith two screws are going to hold that metal saucer up over a long period of time. That support is there for a reason and it’s not just saucer separation.

Here I did the work for you. First in hand pics came September 17. Tomy sent the refund email on the 19th. They WAITED to see people’s reactions to the UNANNOUNCED or SHOWN stands and visible plug holes and seams.

IMG_0328.png
IMG_0329.png

Does everyone's display stands have these paint flaws around the inside edges? I assume they are holes from the injection molds that are poorly filled.

Attachments

• 2023-11-04 13.58.46.jpg
    2023-11-04 13.58.46.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 2023-11-04 13.58.31.jpg
    2023-11-04 13.58.31.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 2023-11-04 13.58.40.jpg
    2023-11-04 13.58.40.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 2023-11-04 13.58.20.jpg
    2023-11-04 13.58.20.jpg