Prop Todd's Costumes Han Solo DL44 Blaster - Deadline for pre-ordering is February 1,2021

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aslan_gfx

Super Freak
Reaction score
New Han Solo DL44 Blaster Run

Deadline for pre-ordering is February 1, 2021

Todd Costumes planning a new run of Han Solo DL44 blasters, to be completed by June 30th, 2021. However, due to current circumstances, we will need a firm number of pre-orders before we can proceed. If we don't reach that number by February 1st, we will have to cancel the run and refund all pre-orders. If that happens, it is unlikely that we will be able to continue offering these replicas.

We have been continuing to improve our "Battle Worn" blasters with details like walnut grips, complete resurfacing and mold line removal, and many other accurizing details. Don't miss out! If you have been wanting one, the time to order is now!

Han Solo DL44 Battle Worn Blaster
Our very best replica, including custom made walnut grips, 100% resurfacing to remove mold lines, and hand-aged details.

https://www.toddscostumes.com/costumes/han-solo-costume/han-solo-dl-44-complete-blaster-battle-worn-finish/

BW_Right__20909.1607126145.jpg

Han Solo DL44 Factory New Blaster
Our budget option featuring a stock Denix Mauser replica, plastic grips, and accessories added without any hand finishing.

https://www.toddscostumes.com/costumes/han-solo-costume/han-solo-dl-44-complete-blaster-factory-new-finish/

FN_Right__67272.1594410140.jpg

Battle Worn Version Features include:

- Custom made Hensoldt-Wetzlar scope made of all original materials, and real optical lenses! More than 27 individual parts!
- Grille made of 3 hand-cut Veron model kit cylinders
- Denix C-96 Mauser replica customized especially for this prop
- Steel bull barrel complete with threads for the rifle barrel extension (as seen when the original gun appeared in "Naked Runner")
- Custom made steel MG81 flash hider and mounting collar
- Steel scope mounting bracket and hardware
- Barrel greeblies made of PVC and ABS plastic
- Functioning hammer, trigger and bolt!
- Real walnut grips, stained and weathered
- Brass grip escutcheons and blued steel screw
- Trigger, hammer, and bolt are stripped and finished grey.
- Bolt extractor shape is blued onto the bolt
- Raised bosses on the Denix sight mounting pin are removed and proper countersink added
- Top of rear sight bar is milled flat to remove the added Denix "lump"
- Entire Denix is stripped, polished, and reblued before aging
- All seamlines are ground off

Now THIS is a good blaster to have at your side! Perfect for display, conventions, collecting, or just because it's cool!

Our Han Solo DL-44 Blaster is the result of a years of fanatical research. We've procured all of the original elements that are currently available including Veron model kit cylinders and pushrods, Hensoldt-Wetzlar scopes, and MG-81 flash suppressor and adapter. We've spec'd them all in minute detail. We've searched out the best manufacturers for each of the parts required to duplicate this prop, down to the screws. What we're offering here is incredibly close to the real prop.

How fanatical? Well, we've reproduced every detail that can be reproduced, even those details you will never see. Such as the bull barrel threaded at both ends (the original custom Mauser was made for a Frank Sinatra spy movie and had a detachable rifle barrel.) Such as a COMPLETE Hensold-Wetzlar scope with ALL INTERNAL PARTS, painted or left bare exactly as the original scopes. Such as using 3 Veron cylinders to construct the "grille" instead of making an easier, simpler (and cheaper) one piece grille. We've duplicated every scratch and chip that is visible in the few reference photos that are available. The scope mounting nuts have straight knurls. The scope tubes are real steel, not cheaper and easier aluminum. The scope adjustment knob has a hexagon pattern knurl.

We start with a zinc metal model gun made by Denix in Spain. We completely disassemble it, and saw off the barrel. We drill a perfectly centered, perfectly aligned hole for the new barrel using a milling machine and custom jigs. Then we mill the face of the receiver perfectly flat and perpendicular, and thread it with real gunsmith threads. The zinc gun parts are all hand polished to remove all of the Denix finish. The barrel extension is then machined to remove the raised bosses around the rear sight retaining pin, and the holes countersunk like the original. The Top of the rear sight bar is machined flat to remove the lump that shouldn't be there. The inaccurate firing pin is ground off of the bolt retaining rod, and re-blued, The rear edges of the frame are radiused like the original. In preparation for the new, more accurate walnut grips, the brace in the center of the grip frame (for the plastic grips) is cut away and filed smooth. All seamlines are ground away and faces flattened. The scope bracket mounting holes are then drilled and tapped. The frame, barrel extension, and rear sight are then re-blued. The bolt, trigger, and hammer are tumbled to a gray finish. The extractor shape is added to the bolt with bluing. The blued parts are then hand aged with steel wool. All zinc parts are then sealed with dry oil. Then we hand-chip the paint on the ends of the scope and elevation adjustment knob. The scope is tumbled to introduce random dings and scuffs. The scope mounting bar is silkscreened to reproduce the chipped pattern on the original. The scope bracket and rings are tumbled and hand-aged with various abrasives. The thumb screw for the bracket is tumbled and sealed with dry oil. The gun is reassembled and a tumbled "bull" barrel is hand-matched to it and installed so that it rests at the perfect angle of rotation without any gap. We pre-assemble the thumbnuts and studs with thread locker, we tumble them then grind away the blued finish on the outer face. We mount the scope bracket with the thumb nuts. To match the angle and details of the scratches of the original blaster, we use a masking template to paint them while in place. We add the distinctive scratches to the rear outside of the scope, and burnish the flash hider to a dark grey finish. A flash hider mounting collar replica is fitted to the barrel, and the flash hider installed. The Veron cylinders are cut, assembled in a custom jig, hand shaped, then glued to the magazine well. The rear sight is glued to the top of the gun to hold it down (real Mauser sights have a strong spring to hold them down. They don't "flip up"). The greeblies are assembled and glued to the top of the barrel. New walnut grips are hand sanded, stained, the brass escutcheons aged, then installed on the gun. Done! It's a crazy, crazy amount of work, but we are always striving to make the "battle worn" version the best replica we can make.

I put an order in for the battle-worn version a few days ago, super psyched! Been eyeing it for a couple years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

is this still up for preorder? the site says so, but i missed the supposed deadline.

Yes. He sent out a long email explaining their situation, basically there are a few preorders left.

There was an old thread probably a couple years back where the same guy was making these. I remember because I considered ordering but then there were reports from people not getting what they ordered. I have no idea how it turned out, but as with any custom project be careful.

There was an old thread probably a couple years back where the same guy was making these. I remember because I considered ordering but then there were reports from people not getting what they ordered. I have no idea how it turned out, but as with any custom project be careful.

I mean, just use a credit card and you will be fine if it never shows up.

I mean, just use a credit card and you will be fine if it never shows up.

I'm no longer interested I just remember people having trouble getting their orders in the past and thought it was worth mentioning.

I got his blaster during his last run in 2017 and it's beautiful. It took exactly 6 weeks, but I saw that many others who ordered around the same time as I did ended up waiting longer. Some MUCH longer. I ordered the "clean" version, and the weathered version was noted as taking longer, so that may have played a part. Several seems to have waited around 6 months for theirs, with Todd saying he was waiting on parts. But they seem to have eventually gotten theirs.

Here's a link to that thread:
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178464

And here's a link to Michael Crawford's original review (it's in the above thread as well) which is what alerted me to the existence of the sale in the first place:
https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW-021517a.htm

It's fantastic. I love mine. I highly recommend it.

I also got a weathered version from the run a few years ago. From what I remember, it took a little longer than what he advised then on his website, but it did come.

It really is a thing of beauty. One of the highlights of my collection to be sure.

Curious to know if this kind of things trigger issues with international customs thinking its a weapon ? Or is it declared as a toy to bypass such doubts ?

My thinking exactly. I'd love to get one of these but getting a replica gun through UK customs is probably a no-go.

Does anyone remember exactly what happened with the weathered version? I think I remember reading that it was much more complicated than he expected so he had to raise the price. But I don't remember him raising it by $250 which is what the price difference is now on the preorder.

According to their website, they’re working on the 2nd run for this year. Expected to be finished by the end of November 2021.
As far as not returning emails? As I remember, they weren’t very responsive to emails. But, they did deliver. & oh my Lord is it ever gorgeous! I got the “battle worn” & it is extremely well built. My dad knocked it, & it’s custom acrylic display case, off the wall (about a 4 1/2ft drop onto hardwood floor). I wanted to throw up. The acrylic case was completely destroyed, but, other than the flash hider being knocked a bit lose (easy fix), there was nothing wrong with the blaster. I was really worried about the scope (cause it’s an absolute work of art in & of itself), but there was no damage.
If you’ve ordered, & paid, I think (& hope) you’ll get it sometime before this Christmas.

So I did just get an email the other day with some updates, looks like he is in the process of assembling the orders from earlier this year and will be shipping them out beginning in the next couple weeks. He mentions some improvements including a more accurate trigger and hammer mechanism plus an overall nicer finish to the metal. Will definitely post whenever mine comes in!

So I did just get an email the other day with some updates, looks like he is in the process of assembling the orders from earlier this year and will be shipping them out beginning in the next couple weeks. He mentions some improvements including a more accurate trigger and hammer mechanism plus an overall nicer finish to the metal. Will definitely post whenever mine comes in!
You’re gonna love it! I can’t wait to see your photos :)(y)

I got one from Todd in December of last year. For some reason this was one prop I never bought over the years. (The MR blasters are now crazy money!) I wanted a metal blaster that looks real. It’s really a fantastic replica for the money! I got the weathered version. Couldn’t be happier!

Delivered today! A real thing of beauty, that’s for sure. And man this thing is heavy, the shipping label said 6 lbs. For comparison, when I ship out a Hot Toys figure double-boxed it’s usually like 4.5 lbs lol. Grabbed a couple quick picks, lighting in my room isn’t great plus I had a hard time getting a clear pic while holding it because it really is that heavy to hold. Really like some of the upgrades he did in this batch like the new trigger and hammer, though he did mention in his included notes that those parts are more fragile than the stock denix parts so just handle with care. Overall can’t recommend it enough and I appreciated his email updates on everything during the wait. Looking forward to ordering one of his display cases for this when they are available.

Attachments

• BD4DBC47-3AD7-4B0C-B07E-A44B813B6836.jpeg
    BD4DBC47-3AD7-4B0C-B07E-A44B813B6836.jpeg
    260.5 KB · Views: 153
  • D6AA6747-F815-4379-A587-A23F1B7B183D.jpeg
    D6AA6747-F815-4379-A587-A23F1B7B183D.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 66
Back