ThunderCats Classics by Mattel

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thundercats Ultimates Thundertank will go up for preorder Feb 2nd to April 2nd, will cost $450. 27 inches long by 14 inches wide, and should fit 6 Thundercats inside.

Es2n24yWMAg2mNL

Omg that looks fantastic my childhood dream come true.

I don't see it as gouging. It's made to order, who knows how many they'll sell.

I don't think they're going to sell that many unfortunately.

A lot of collectors have complained about the price and Brian Flynn responded with this explaining their reason for the price.

Es3APXdXEAQ_fLb

*$450 + S&H. I wish they would've included shipping in the price like with the razor crest - if i don't see it, it's not there!
Off topic, but i hope if they do ultimates silverhawks they re-evaluate the use of the traditional 4H buck. The 'hawks seem like they should be more slim - can you imagine a beefy Bluegrass or Copper Kidd? Woof.

I really hope this sells enough for Super7 to produce. Bryan really seems to really love what he does and I want to see a company like Super7 do well. And I really am serious about wanting a Mirage and Fishtank.

I don't think they're going to sell that many unfortunately.

A lot of collectors have complained about the price and Brian Flynn responded with this explaining their reason for the price.

Es3APXdXEAQ_fLb

I don't know how complex the mechanism needs to be, but can't be more complex than a $40 Transformers can it?

If you say material cost i may agree coz it takes alot more plastic to make a vehicle of such scale, but still nothing compared to 1/6 Hot Toys or Blitz way vehicles. And since this is a toon vehicle, the requirement for accuracy is more flexible compared to an existing real life vehicle.

I don't know how complex the mechanism needs to be, but can't be more complex than a $40 Transformers can it?

If you say material cost i may agree coz it takes alot more plastic to make a vehicle of such scale, but still nothing compared to 1/6 Hot Toys or Blitz way vehicles. And since this is a toon vehicle, the requirement for accuracy is more flexible compared to an existing real life vehicle.

Super7 is not Hasbro, they don't have years of experience on transformation or mechanism sorts of toys.

Hasbro has a lot Japanese toy maker's input in terms of knowledge on transformable toys.

Furthermore, I believe Super 7 is a small team and Thundercats is such a niche market. I doubt they'll reach the goal of Razorcrest, not even close.

400 is crazy. even at 200 it's crazy. This ain't no 1/6 with fancy lights & SFX.

I totally understand thinking 400 is crazy. For me, TCats was always the line that got away. As a kid, I only got to to have a small handful of figures but badly wanted the entire line including the thundertank. I remember them being 7.99 and my mom usually scoffed at any figure back then that was over 4.99, so my purchases usually were limited to Joe, MOTU, Super Powers, anything around that price point (not that I'm complaining, it was a great childhood).

But I feel thinking 200 also being crazy is unreasonable imo, especially in 2021. The fact that it isn't 1/6 is also irrelevant to me. They're all toys at the end of the day, and if I'm paying $315 plus shipping for a 1/6 figure set (Deluxe Mando) or $600 for a 1/6 Bike (Akira), this isn't a stretch for my sensibilities.

Comparing price to a transformer because a transformer is more functionally complex has very little to do with cost to produce. Also I would doubt there?s much in the way of gouging going on with a $450 price tag. Companies do not get rich of these sorts of things. There will probably dozens of injection molds to be produced at potentially tens of thousands per mold which then has to be monetized across the entire potential run, plus production costs including assembly, paint, packaging etc. Not to mention R&D, iterative improvements before production, licensing fees, etc. All this for probably a few thousand units, potentially less because it?s massive and costly. Transformers sell many thousands of units so it?s very easy to have enough volume to keep costs low.

Does any of this mean people shouldn?t be upset about the price or feel that it?s too much for them to spend? Certainly not! It?s expensive, but likely a very reasonable price given the factors.

Comparing price to a transformer because a transformer is more functionally complex has very little to do with cost to produce. Also I would doubt there?s much in the way of gouging going on with a $450 price tag. Companies do not get rich of these sorts of things. There will probably dozens of injection molds to be produced at potentially tens of thousands per mold which then has to be monetized across the entire potential run, plus production costs including assembly, paint, packaging etc. Not to mention R&D, iterative improvements before production, licensing fees, etc. All this for probably a few thousand units, potentially less because it?s massive and costly. Transformers sell many thousands of units so it?s very easy to have enough volume to keep costs low.

Does any of this mean people shouldn?t be upset about the price or feel that it?s too much for them to spend? Certainly not! It?s expensive, but likely a very reasonable price given the factors.

Amen. There is no single variable that determines what the unit cost will be. I read somewhere that toy line's vehicles always have little to no margin, with the sales strategy being that people will want to fill the seats in those vehicles and buy more of the figures that return a better profit. I'm a little surprised by the lambasting this thing is getting everywhere. Super7 really frustrates me with their constant screw-ups, especially after they insist they're fixed something and the in-hand product still has the problem. On the other hand, they're a smaller company and true fans of their properties, and i want to support them.

I'll be ordering this day one without reservation. I know they're going to screw up SOMETHING on it, and it'll be at least nine months late, but it's darn close to perfect, huge, and a completely ridiculous hail mary of an gamble (i cheer for the under dog). If i'm terribly disappointed with it, with the line planned out to series 9 and the low production run, the after market return on this in a few years will be handsome, i believe. Just my two cents.

With their figures priced at $45 each, the Tank will definitely be at least $400 or more.

This is the best way to think about it. This costs 10 figures. The Razor Crest cost over 25 TVC figures (and they're also probably making 25,000 more of those than these). This is absolutely worth it.

People are going ape-**** crazy over the price announcement today on this thing... reading some
of the forum posts is making me laugh. They are comparing it to a mass-market retail batmobile
that only costs $50 from Mattel (and was produced in the hundreds of thousands quantity, most likely),
and saying that S7 is price-gouging and we are eating it up.

This is not that. Not even remotely the same thing. This is a made-to-order deluxe vehicle in what will
very likely be less than HALF of the amount of Sail Barges and Razor's Crest vehicles being made.

Engineering is crazy expensive right now, tooling is crazy expensive. Plastic is crazy expensive.
All of it drives the cost of a low-production thing of this size through the roof.

Super 7 is trying to deliver cool "probably shouldn't even exist" stuff to the fan base and is taking
**** for it. Don't like the price? Don't buy it. I for one am totally on-board for an amazing Thundertank
that will only be made once and will stay in my collection forever.

People are going ape-**** crazy over the price announcement today on this thing... reading some
of the forum posts is making me laugh. They are comparing it to a mass-market retail batmobile
that only costs $50 from Mattel (and was produced in the hundreds of thousands quantity, most likely),
and saying that S7 is price-gouging and we are eating it up.

This is not that. Not even remotely the same thing. This is a made-to-order deluxe vehicle in what will
very likely be less than HALF of the amount of Sail Barges and Razor's Crest vehicles being made.

Engineering is crazy expensive right now, tooling is crazy expensive. Plastic is crazy expensive.
All of it drives the cost of a low-production thing of this size through the roof.

Super 7 is trying to deliver cool "probably shouldn't even exist" stuff to the fan base and is taking
**** for it. Don't like the price? Don't buy it. I for one am totally on-board for an amazing Thundertank
that will only be made once and will stay in my collection forever.

Thank you. I'm not a Thundercats guy, but the complaints over this have been driving me crazy as well. People really need to get a clue, or just stop whining altogether. :rolleyes2

Thank you! For pete's sake, some levity in this preorder announcement mosh pit. The overwhelmingly negative response has me crossing my fingers hoping they don't throw in the towel on the whole endeavor. I feel like it's a stretch for them to begin with, all the anger out there, "well, forget it then, ingrates".

Back