Thunder Toys 1/6 Hell Ranger A / B / C (Sam Elliott Western Ghost Rider)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If one man was born to play Revolver Ocelot it's Sam.
HA, that never hit me until you mentioned it but you're right! "BEEF.....its what's for dinner."

This thing looks good, I may spring for this. We've learned from the pages of Avengers recently that the Ghost Rider is pretty much eternal so this would fit in a collection and make sense with others.

Errrr... Where's that USB cable plugging into the horse?...

Thunder Toys Hell Ranger 20.jpg

I finally decided to order the Deluxe.

The selling point for me is the Sam Elliott sculpt rather than the flaming skull, though the latter, along with the unusual flaming skeletal hands, could prove an interesting transformation for other western characters.

Overall it's a set of useful parts with the addition of the spade and chaps, and a cloned Hot Toys base.

No interest in the character or movie, but I want the clothes for a Roland Deschain figure I'm planning. Good quality western clothing is hard to come by.

Invoice paid with Kit. :)

Now to wait for some photos.

I'm only interested in the Sam Elliott look.

Paid for my invoice as well. Got 2 tracking numbers. Curious to see which shows up first, horse or figure.

Just got mine this morning.
Shotgun is beautiful, all diecast but heavy and a pain for the ghost rider hands to hold it. I’m shooting the review now and should be ready tomorrow.
The photo is a bit over exposed, the horse bones aren’t so yellowed (sorry!).

Attachments

• 6BE7D9A4-BD11-4A24-AF6E-B092DAC30DAC.jpeg
    6BE7D9A4-BD11-4A24-AF6E-B092DAC30DAC.jpeg
    295.6 KB · Views: 50
Just got mine this morning.
Shotgun is beautiful, all diecast but heavy and a pain for the ghost rider hands to hold it. I’m shooting the review now and should be ready tomorrow.
The photo is a bit over exposed, the horse bones aren’t so yellowed (sorry!).

Just saw your new photos...

Thunder Toys Hell Ranger in hand 1.jpg
Thunder Toys Hell Ranger in hand 3.jpg
Thunder Toys Hell Ranger in hand 2.jpg

Was about to post them here! It’s a great figure.
But small stuff that doesn’t make sense, they went all way on the shotgun, very detailed, diecast , but then went terrible cheap on the green hat, is very poorly made.
But overall is really a great set.

I'll likely have him holding the hat instead then. lol

I wanted the Sam Elliott version to add as a character to my western collection, so made a holster for him to push him back into the old west.

I think the Sam Elliott is passable, and the clothes and boots are good enough.

Looks like they forgot to paint the shotgun, so it ended up looking like the sort of ornament Denix might sell. Being diecast is also unnecessary overkill.

The original movie stunt prop 1887 Winchester for comparison:

Ghost Rider Stunt Prop shotgun.jpg
Ghost Rider Stunt Prop shotgun2.jpg

You can see that Thunder took some pretty big artistic liberties with the details, and added the stock clamp to the lever :

vlcsnap-2022-05-12-20h45m13s516.jpg

As for the Skull head and hat, I was never a fan of them, nor of the horse which looks a bit naff.

The flaming skeletal hands are the best bits of the Ghost Rider. I might use them on the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Rider to spice him up a bit.

Received the Deluxe Hell Ranger

I like the Sam Elliott sculpt. It came out as well I could hope for.

Bear in mind these photos were taken with the flash, so some of the subtlety of the paintwork and detail has been lost:

100_2356.JPG

100_2354.JPG

The shotgun is ridiculous. I don't know what they were thinking. Firstly the entire thing is unnecessarily metal, and secondly it's completely unpainted. Lastly it's inaccurate in patterning, and due to their inability to keep the mechanism closed they opted to put a cup on the upper side of the leaver to grip the stock.

Just as it looked in photos and the video, the thing it reminds me of is one Denix's pot metal ornaments. It looks even less realistic than a flaming skull headed bounty hunter from hell!

It wouldn't take much to rescue it though - it merely needs the the stock and foregrip painting to break the reality that the entire thing is metal.

While the design isn't accurate (or complete) to the source, they did a nice job with the fancy 'engraving'.

The clothes and boots look well made, and from good materials. I think the spurs are completely metal, and not just the rowels, so that should lessen the chance of breakage (not that I had any trouble with LiM Toys' Gunslinger).

The soft hat is a let down. It's shapeless, though it is possible to shape it so it resembles some of the beaten up hats seen in old sepia photos of the west.

100_2361.JPG
100_2377.JPG

The band is too big for the crown though. It would likely look better without the band anyway:

100_2362.JPG

The spade's fine, but will need the wooden handle shortening.

The pocket watch is very good. All diecast with a tiny cross attached to the chain. There's a two line inscription inside the case lid, but I can't make out what it reads. The dial has a period look to it.

The chaps are an interesting addition, though I don't remember when Carter Slade was show wearing them. :unsure:

As Joao thought, I think they are leather. They certainly smell like leather, unlike the coat.

The flaming skeletal hands are great! These are very innovative and effective.

Lastly, the body seems good. Unusually, the arms are ratcheted at the shoulders, as they click when you move them.

Back