Threezero - First Blood - 1/6 scale John Rambo

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rambo certainly usurped the #1 icon for Stallone quickly.

I liked Rocky, but Rambo was my favorite action hero as a child. However, in retrospect, the popularity of the Rambo character is a bit of a mystery to me, and I'm surprised no one has written about it. The character became this pop culture figure, had toys , a cartoon show, and was regularly name dropped in tv shows, movies, and even President Regan would mention Rambo in speeches. I never understood how and why that happened? The only conclusion I can come up with is that it was the perfect storm of circumstances, time period, actor, character, sequel...etc. Any ideas?
Is there any other kind that matters?
:cautious:

Didn't Rambo represent a very basic allegory to 'America' - the loner soldier that just wants to be left alone but always does the right thing and fights well for the "right" cause? A hero, a warrior, a stud, with the biggest guns. A super fantasy. And most of all, which was what First Blood was really about, he represented America getting past Viet Nam... he went from being hounded and shamed to becoming the ultimate hero we need when things get tough. Rambo allowed us to "win the war in Viet Nam".

Anyway, that's what I've heard over the years. Makes a lot of sense.

Didn't Rambo represent a very basic allegory to 'America' - the loner soldier that just wants to be left alone but always does the right thing and fights well for the "right" cause? A hero, a warrior, a stud, with the biggest guns. A super fantasy. And most of all, which was what First Blood was really about, he represented America getting past Viet Nam... he went from being hounded and shamed to becoming the ultimate hero we need when things get tough. Rambo allowed us to "win the war in Viet Nam".

I've heard that too, but I wasn't old enough at the time to know if that was actually true, or just some narrative that someone came up with as a way to explain the unexplainable. Lightning in a bottle, people call it, right?

It's like when you see people talk about Batman in behind the scene footage, making off, or during the marketing and and even DC artists and executives. They always spit the same narrative, "People like Batman because he's relatable, he's a human and he's got no powers."

What? I like him for superficial reasons, like most people. He's got a cool costume, car, gadgets, and cool villains.

I like him for superficial reasons, like most people. He's got a cool costume, car, gadgets, and cool villains.

Sounds like Bond.

I agree, but I suppose the GREAT heroes work on both levels -- cool looking AND if there's a level of analysis/representation/allegory it just becomes an even more indelible character.

Stallone really understands blue collar America. Like Springsteen, he creates iconic Americana. Rocky and Rambo are both two sides of the American Ideal.

It's odd with Rambo because he came from a story about PTSD and the real cost of war. But Cameron and Stallone turned him into a superhero for America. Cameron is another one who really gets "blue collar/grunt" mentality.

For me its like Cameron simplified the character of Rambo into a cartoon for meatheads... much like he simplified the Alien into hordes of Insect/Indians/Enemy Soldiers. But the masses ate it up.

Excited to see how the final comes out. I was going to pass on the Rambo 3 and it ended up being a hit, so if it's that caliber I'll grab this too.

With his small head size, he's got the proportions of Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star. :lol The Rambo III figure has the same issue, but at least the longer hair makes it less obvious.

d9ec17fe-fcc2-4762-819a-beebf45af805.jpg

Kenshiro-fist-of-the-north-star-23209211-641-868.jpg

The arms are 1/3 too big for Rambo First Blood. But from the quality of the Rambo III figure I will pick this up and may switch out the arms...but we shall see. The HS is 80% right, but could do with an improvement too.

Hmm, I wonder if the First Blood release is meant to be a 35th anniversary thing, then, as, presumably, are the BTTF figures. If so, what else do we have to look forward to figure-wise?

View attachment 536175

C'mon, Don Ameche and Wilford Brimley DX 2-pack!

I can't believe Witness beat The Goonies and how low The Breakfast Club is.

But anyway, I'll probably buy this Rambo 3 Stallone as Rambo 1 because I always wanted a Rambo 1 figure but not a Rambo 3 🤯

I loved Rambo as a kid. Later I read the paperback and I remember it being an extremely entertaining read, like Jaws. The I found funny in the preface - and I had long suspected it - was how the name was inspired by French poet Rimbaud.

Much as I love the character, this figure is a pass. It’s not good enough.

He/we also went on to help "create the Taliban" too, that's an important one. :lecture :monkey3

I don't think the muhajideen were the Taliban. At least not all of them.

It's funny how no one says the same about James Bond. 🙄
That's due to Timothy Dalton Memory Displacement Disorder, making any film starring TD unable to be recalled.

And pretty much all of Taliban's early 90s leadership were veterans of the anti-Soviet conflict, but hey Pol Pot went to college in Paris.

There's a very interesting "history/allegory" of the Rambo films evolution and a parallel to America's 'growth' in the 80's.

First Blood to Rambo 3 couldn't be further apart in that sense.
Or Rocky to Rocky IV. Stallone's career trajectory is similar to Stevie Wonder. You start out doing whatever you can to get off the ground. You then hit your creative peak doing innovative, thoughtful, very high quality work. Then you decide to go all-in on the commercial front, and find great success at it. . .and then you make your own dolls on Facebook I guess.

Back