This stuff will be worthless in 10 years..

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both my grandmothers collected things. Both my parents collect things. Not our kind of stuff, of course. But crap they thought/think was great. The old creepy porcelain dolls. Baroque art. Menus from roadside diners of the 40s/50s/60s. Pyrex. Lots of other crap. So I’ve seen multiple generations of different kinds of collections ebb and flow with time. And have had the headache of having to deal with it. And will have more to deal with in my life time.

If whatever you collect gives you enough joy that you don’t mind being found dead surrounded by it, then you’re doing just fine. Your money is worthless to you when you‘re dead, so you might as well use it in anyway you find enjoyable while you can.

Also, if what you put into your collection isn’t needed or you don’t care to leave real assets to descendants, then you’re fine. And it is your money and the damn kids aren’t entitled to it anyways. But don’t be so irresponsible to leave a large collection of dolls or statues to your loved ones. It will and does turn into disappointment and a burden.

When you stop, cut things down to one or two well-maintained display cases. 20 things tops. Have a printed list of what the hell the stuff is. Don’t leave things ‘preserved’ in boxes in storage rooms. If you are not enjoying it, sell it. Whatever you can get for it now will be a lot more than what your next of kin can get for it. You know what the stuff is and have the specialized market knowledge needed. Your next of kin doesn’t and doesn’t want to have to develop that knowledge to get rid of your crap at fair market value.

Do a little thought experiment. Count how many things are in your collection. 285? Great. Now imagine it is a collection of things you know nothing about. 285 pieces of Pyrex. 285 antique French Tete Jumeau dolls. Now imagine you have to do something with it because it isn’t your collection. Store it? Sell it? What is worth thousands instead of hundreds? You have no clue. If you have a room or multiple rooms full of boxed crap, do your loved ones a favor and sell it off or take it to the dump yourself.

But if you have no loved ones, being found dead in a pile of toys is just as valid of a life choice as being found dead in a pile of cash.

Societal collapse?

Gimme a break.

Financial markets ebb and flow. This is just another blip, and it does not affect anyone who works for a living, it just hurts the stock market, and 90% of people are not invested enough to care…..

“The thing of it is… we really did have everything, didn’t we?”

LOL, nah. There have been much
much worse times in history, that have not led to societal collapse.

I do thing we are entering a contraction phase, but overall, even the dollar collapsing or any government ending does not lead to a mad max style collapse.

Societal collapse?

Gimme a break.

Financial markets ebb and flow. This is just another blip, and it does not affect anyone who works for a living, it just hurts the stock market, and 90% of people are not invested enough to care…..
Oh. So you know how much inflation is too much inflation. You must also know the point where it trips into hyperinflation. You must also know how to save a world that rejected real money for a dream of infinitely expandable credit, with nothing but paper to dry their tears when their family is starving. You must know that you can’t eat gold, so why keep it around for anything other than stoking the egos of rich men. You must also know how peaceful that will be.

While I have your attention brother, could you spare a dime?

LOL, nah. There have been much
much worse times in history, that have not led to societal collapse.

I do thing we are entering a contraction phase, but overall, even the dollar collapsing or any government ending does not lead to a mad max style collapse.
Agreed, if the human race could survive hundreds of years of the plague, I'm sure we can get through a bit of financial instability.

Agreed, if the human race could survive hundreds of years of the plague, I'm sure we can get through a bit of financial instability.
Thats exactly my point, if folks think the current time are bad….they do not know their history.

We lived in a charmed world, warts and all.

Thats exactly my point, if folks think the current time are bad….they do not know their history.
People didn't have social media back then. These days we're constantly reminded not only of our own issues, but the ones from half the world away.

I'm not defending ignorance, but I also don't think the human mind was meant to deal with this many stressors (real or perceived) at once.

People didn't have social media back then. These days we're constantly reminded not only of our own issues, but the ones from half the world away.

I'm not defending ignorance, but I also don't think the human mind was meant to deal with this many stressors (real or perceived) at once.
No doubt. Thats why a healthy realtionship with SM is important.

Its very true that years back, you knew about only local issues. Now you get to hear all the horror stories from around the world.

Crime is actually WAY down compare to the 1970’s but you would never believe it.

Oh. So you know how much inflation is too much inflation. You must also know the point where it trips into hyperinflation. You must also know how to save a world that rejected real money for a dream of infinitely expandable credit, with nothing but paper to dry their tears when their family is starving. You must know that you can’t eat gold, so why keep it around for anything other than stoking the egos of rich men. You must also know how peaceful that will be.

While I have your attention brother, could you spare a dime?
I don’t think we had a say in going on this fake paper money in 1913

Going off the gold standard in 1971 is what made hyperinflation of our fiat currency possible, and inevitable. The plan is to introduce a global digital currency tied directly to your social credit score, as they've already introduced in China, but I digress.

Going off the gold standard in 1971 is what made hyperinflation of our fiat currency possible, and inevitable. The plan is to introduce a global digital currency tied directly to your social credit score, as they've already introduced in China, but I digress.

John Maynard Keynes said only one in a million will get it. Rotten bastard was right.

Back