Things that I marvel at

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty amazed that this even happened. Back in 2001, I saw an old Fujitsu commercial on CNN, that was shot with scenes of downtown Manhattan. The commercial was done really well, showing people just going about their daily lives - very reminiscent of what you'd see from episodes of Cowboy Bebop, where Spike is just walking around a metropolis as the world passes by him. It also had an unknown Japanese song that I couldn't recognize. It bothered me for nearly 20 years that I couldn't find any information on this song, and to make matters even stranger, I could recall the tune almost perfectly from since then.

So, today I found out that Google has a "Search a song" feature on its IOS app, where I could hum a tune into my iPhone to automatically find a song. I tried it out, and it immediately gave me the song I was looking for! So, after 20 years, my search has ended thanks to Google and its advancements in machine learning. The song in that old Fujitsu commercial from 2001 was "Innocence" by Chihiro Onitsuka. Onitsuka was big in the early 2000s, but she didn't have any songs featured in anime - which I believe is the reason for why my old searches didn't find anything.

Here it is on YouTube. No other videos of it exist, except from some AMVs of Final Fantasy X.

I'm pretty amazed that this even happened. Back in 2001, I saw an old Fujitsu commercial on CNN, that was shot with scenes of downtown Manhattan. The commercial was done really well, showing people just going about their daily lives - very reminiscent of what you'd see from episodes of Cowboy Bebop, where Spike is just walking around a metropolis as the world passes by him. It also had an unknown Japanese song that I couldn't recognize. It bothered me for nearly 20 years that I couldn't find any information on this song, and to make matters even stranger, I could recall the tune almost perfectly from since then.

So, today I found out that Google has a "Search a song" feature on its IOS app, where I could hum a tune into my iPhone to automatically find a song. I tried it out, and it immediately gave me the song I was looking for! So, after 20 years, my search has ended thanks to Google and its advancements in machine learning. The song in that old Fujitsu commercial from 2001 was "Innocence" by Chihiro Onitsuka. Onitsuka was big in the early 2000s, but she didn't have any songs featured in anime - which I believe is the reason for why my old searches didn't find anything.

Here it is on YouTube. No other videos of it exist, except from some AMVs of Final Fantasy X.

Ah, the good old days of 480p fan-made tribute vids of slideshows and trailer footage with Linkin Park playing in the background, made by kids after school. Back when YouTube had SOVL.

Personally I've found random songs by using sites where you type in a part of the lyrics. I remember an old iPhone app, Shazam I think it was called, that'd listen to a song and try to find its name and such. I used to find that quite useful back in the day.

Ah, the good old days of 480p fan-made tribute vids of slideshows and trailer footage with Linkin Park playing in the background, made by kids after school. Back when YouTube had SOVL.

Personally I've found random songs by using sites where you type in a part of the lyrics. I remember an old iPhone app, Shazam I think it was called, that'd listen to a song and try to find its name and such. I used to find that quite useful back in the day.
I miss the days of early YouTube :lol. Funny thing is, the only thing I could remember from this song was the tune! The lyrics would've made it much easier and a whole lot less frustrating. Shazam is still around, too. I use it mainly in restaurants when I'm eating a bowl of ramen and there's something playing over the radio I can't recognize.

I miss the days of early YouTube :lol. Funny thing is, the only thing I could remember from this song was the tune! The lyrics would've made it much easier and a whole lot less frustrating. Shazam is still around, too. I use it mainly in restaurants when I'm eating a bowl of ramen and there's something playing over the radio I can't recognize.
Old YouTube was just pure fun. Now everyone's trying to get monetised. There's no originality left, just trying to play the algorithm. People say TikTok is the "new YT", but I see it as the new Vine or whatever that was called. Vids are too short and gimmicky to be true passion projects. I remember early brickfilms where a guy had a built a whole Lego city as a set and it was as big as a dining table. Said series featured like 20 episodes. You just can't find such things anymore. I know part of me is looking back with rose tinted glasses, but things have changed.

Crazy to hear Shazam is still around. I barely listen to any new music nowadays. I just stumble on indie bands through the internet and pick up some new songs.

Old YouTube was just pure fun. Now everyone's trying to get monetised. There's no originality left, just trying to play the algorithm. People say TikTok is the "new YT", but I see it as the new Vine or whatever that was called. Vids are too short and gimmicky to be true passion projects. I remember early brickfilms where a guy had a built a whole Lego city as a set and it was as big as a dining table. Said series featured like 20 episodes. You just can't find such things anymore. I know part of me is looking back with rose tinted glasses, but things have changed.

Crazy to hear Shazam is still around. I barely listen to any new music nowadays. I just stumble on indie bands through the internet and pick up some new songs.
Attention spans have definitely gotten shorter in the past several years, and it seems like social media only exists to feed narcissism and whoever wants their 15 minutes of fame. Most of the content creators on YouTube that I follow are from years ago, and they're not mainstream names. I still love watching 1/6 figure reviews, but those never get more than a few thousand views at most.

Surprisingly, there's still a lot of great independent music being released. More recently, I've been following a bunch of synth bands since 2015.

Attention spans have definitely gotten shorter in the past several years, and it seems like social media only exists to feed narcissism and whoever wants their 15 minutes of fame. Most of the content creators on YouTube that I follow are from years ago, and they're not mainstream names. I still love watching 1/6 figure reviews, but those never get more than a few thousand views at most.

Surprisingly, there's still a lot of great independent music being released. More recently, I've been following a bunch of synth bands since 2015.
Exactly. I think it's the result of everyone wanting to be the next "viral hit", to the point where that stopped meaning anything.

"How eager are we to fight Star Wars’ battles, when that time and energy could be better spent fighting for social justice?"

Very eager, if you've just cluttered up the Scientific American with a long article doing exactly that. These self-important to$$ers are an irony free zone, unless this article was held over from April 1st. It's a bit rich for people like this to criticise anyone for using JEDI in this context, when all the terms they've invented ('privilege', 'micro aggression') have such pi$$y, finger-wagging overtones that they're more likely to antagonise the public than persuade them to engage with the issues. Of course, they don't care about that, as they're really just virtue signalling to their own peers.

What I'd love to do is contact each of the authors (it took five people to write this garbage) and ask them for a list of everyone whose work they enjoy or admire - musicians, authors, artists, scientists, historical figures etc. Then I'd study their biographies until I found reasons why it's actually inappropriate to like them anymore and send the list to the authors. Let them drink their own bucket of cold pi$$. Glug, glug, glug.

I liked it when Star Wars was pure escapist fun and not a political football for every SJW/incel/troll/alt-right wanker to kick around. It was a means of getting away from the $hite of real life, rather than being drowned in it.

I found the commercial lol! For clarification, it wasn't a Fujitsu commercial, it was "Shibuya - Applied Materials". This was also shot in Tokyo and not New York.
Love the scenes of the GenXers and business people intermingling in such a busy environment.

Damn fine modding.

2Tl8VYY.gif

Back