Things I Hate

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Solid publication record, high student numbers, strong student feedback... I'll find out tomorrow if that's enough to keep my (supposedly tenured) job.

Good....

The only thing I'm good at is education and writing, and I'm sick of the former and there's no money in the latter.

I'm too old for this sh it

....luck?

:lol

My sister is a nurse and got laid off......

Some of this is not Covid related but profit taking from corporations who were itching for an excuse to slash labor and force a new standard of service on people.....

Mark my words, employment will never go back to pre Covid numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, my wife lost her job through convenience - her boss was itching to close down her business. She's a florist, which is one of the areas doing really well in COVID. She's picked up some part-time work since, but people aren't moving around from job to job like they used to.

In my area it's a direct result of the Oz border closure - universities leveraged the crap out of the international student market and were exposed. Thousands of academic jobs have vanished and won't be coming back.

That sucks man. Sorry to hear. Is there a pandemic unemployment scheme over there for you to avail of? I haven't followed what they've got going in other countries.

Sorry to hear it man, I got financially trounced by the pandemic myself, I know how nerve wracking it is.

That sucks man. Sorry to hear. Is there a pandemic unemployment scheme over there for you to avail of? I haven't followed what they've got going in other countries.

Sorry to hear it man, I got financially trounced by the pandemic myself, I know how nerve wracking it is.

Cheers guys. I hope you're both remaining positive and bearing up despite financial hits. I'm not in such a bad position, I can apply for redeployment and if I'm not successful I'll get a decent severance package to tide me over. I'm a qualified high school teacher too and there's plenty of work in secondary education. To be honest I'd just like a simple job... I was only half joking about gardening. I'd be taking a massive pay cut though, and with my wife out of work and kids/mortgage etc I kind of need to remain around my experience level in education to get us through the kids school years. I left high school teaching 20 years ago 'cause I couldn't handle teaching teenagers the basics of being human, but I've got a different outlook now.

Far out what a year. It's going to be a long haul from here too - as government support winds down plenty of people who've been just getting by will fall below the poverty line and there'll be loads of mental health issues. I remember the party vibe in the local Hong Kong community when SARS2003 was declared over. If a vaccine proves effective and COVID either disappears or is mitigated there'll be loads of naked hot women dancing in the streets.

Cheers guys. I hope you're both remaining positive and bearing up despite financial hits.

Luckily, it's something I'll recover from. It hasn't been all bad, to be honest. But that's been my own privileged experience. Some people have had their lives wrecked.

I'm not in such a bad position,[...]

Good to hear. See, that's one area I consider myself very lucky. No kids to worry about and pay for means much less stress during this extraordinary time.

[...]If a vaccine proves effective and COVID either disappears or is mitigated there'll be loads of naked hot women dancing in the streets.

Excellent. Good thing my woman likes naked hot women too or there'd be trouble on the horizon. :lol

Luckily, it's something I'll recover from. It hasn't been all bad, to be honest. But that's been my own privileged experience. Some people have had their lives wrecked.

Good to hear. See, that's one area I consider myself very lucky. No kids to worry about and pay for means much less stress during this extraordinary time.

Excellent. Good thing my woman likes naked hot women too or there'd be trouble on the horizon. :lol

Amen. Youse gots to accentuate the positive. My wife is considerate enough to point out a fine set of breasts I might've missed when we're out and about. I've worked out just how long I can appreciate them before it pisses her off.

So sorry to hear man.

Thanks man, appreciated. Weird how this all started to go down on Monday, I was filthy about it Tuesday and Wednesday, and Friday has come and I'm fine with it. I'm a qualified designer who never gave it a shot, so I'll finally get to see if I can walk the talk. If I fail at it at least I won't have to wonder what might've been.

Cheers guys. I hope you're both remaining positive and bearing up despite financial hits. I'm not in such a bad position, I can apply for redeployment and if I'm not successful I'll get a decent severance package to tide me over. I'm a qualified high school teacher too and there's plenty of work in secondary education. To be honest I'd just like a simple job... I was only half joking about gardening. I'd be taking a massive pay cut though, and with my wife out of work and kids/mortgage etc I kind of need to remain around my experience level in education to get us through the kids school years. I left high school teaching 20 years ago 'cause I couldn't handle teaching teenagers the basics of being human, but I've got a different outlook now.

:lol to the part in bold. Yeah I couldn't be a teacher. Not least because I personally could never study to save my life (and still couldn't) but also because there's more to it than just knowing your particular subject - controlling a classroom of up to 30 kids or teenagers is a whole 'nother kettle of fish. Kudos to anyone who does it.

I've been working in the family business. We're a convenience store and those were deemed essential in virus pandemic times so we were never made to close. And sure enough when there's literally almost nothing else that people are allowed to do they go to their local shop. So my financial situation has remained stable throughout this whole thing.

At the start of Covid with all the unknowns at that time I was scared ***tless. I wanted us to close and one night we made the decision that we would....a resolve that lasted about 20 minutes when we thought about how much of an immediate headwreck it was going to be to maintain certain exceptions of customers and other establishments that we deliver to while cancelling everything else for an unknown length of time.

As it has transpired we made the right decision - physical distancing, handwashing and the barrier between staff and customers has been enough - no one has contracted the virus in the shop, least that we know of.

I remember the party vibe in the local Hong Kong community when SARS2003 was declared over. If a vaccine proves effective and COVID either disappears or is mitigated there'll be loads of naked hot women dancing in the streets.

I'd say it'll happen gradually but steadily enough that we'll all quickly take it for granted that things are returning to normal. I don't foresee a 'party time' as such but we'll see.

I very much look forward to getting back to the pub. I'm no alcoholic but I miss the pub. They opened back up after the first lockdown but under limited and pretty much soul-destroying conditions. When you can't do the very thing you go to the pub to do - mix with people while listening to music - why bother at all - so I haven't been in one since before it all kicked off. I'm really counting on those vaccines.

Last edited:
I'd say it'll happen gradually but steadily enough that we'll all quickly take it for granted that things are returning to normal. I don't foresee a 'party time' as such but we'll see.

I wonder what's happened to the molly market?

[...] I very much look forward to getting back to the pub. I'm no alcoholic but I miss the pub. They opened back up after the first lockdown but under limited and pretty much soul-destroying conditions. When you can't do the very thing you go to the pub to do - mix with people while listening to music - why bother at all - so I haven't been in one since before it all kicked off. I'm really counting on those vaccines.

I spent years working in high-end restaurants, so naturally my local is a little dive of a place, and gods I miss it. I don't drink that much anymore as an adult and for having left the industry, which has a well-deserved reputation for going hard, but something about wandering into a neighbourhood spot (yes, where everybody knows your name) and having the bartender pour your drink before you've even got your coat off, it's the little things. Luckily it looks like they'll still be there next year; a lot of independent spots didn't fare as well.

Amen. Youse gots to accentuate the positive. My wife is considerate enough to point out a fine set of breasts I might've missed when we're out and about. I've worked out just how long I can appreciate them before it pisses her off.

LOL...I tend to notice women around me more when I'm single (survival trait probably) so my girlfriend is often elbowing me to join her in ogling some fine lady. :lol

(To be fair she's a bit of a lecherous perv -- in a good way.)

Thanks man, appreciated. Weird how this all started to go down on Monday, I was filthy about it Tuesday and Wednesday, and Friday has come and I'm fine with it. I'm a qualified designer who never gave it a shot, so I'll finally get to see if I can walk the talk. If I fail at it at least I won't have to wonder what might've been.

When I was laid off (well prior to COVID, it was a re-structuring and my position was erased) my company actually did me a favour, given that I had intended to quit 6-7 months down the line and found myself with a severance package instead. But it still pissed me off because corporate rhetoric and the **** you put up with leaves its mark, and there is always an element of deceit regarding their timing and intention. But now I'm happier and make more money, so all's well that ends ... err... in a global pandemic ... :slap

What kind of design are we talking here? That sounds like a great idea.

I'm sorry to hear anyone losing their job. That is the very definition of 'not cool.'

Unreleated: but 'discovered' gas stations with LOUD ass ads running. What will they think of next?

What kind of design are we talking here? That sounds like a great idea.

My undergrad is industrial design but I've never worked in the field and always preferred graphics. A former colleague has built a successful solo web design+marketing business and turns out my job loss coincided with his thinking that he needed a partner to help manage his growing client base. I'll be starting on the middle floor in a lot of ways, but he's prepared to train me up and I'm prepared to manage on half my old salary for 6-12 months. He's a smart guy too, it'll be good to learn stuff again.

Unreleated: but 'discovered' gas stations with LOUD ass ads running. What will they think of next?

What are 'discovered' gas stations?

My undergrad is industrial design but I've never worked in the field and always preferred graphics. A former colleague has built a successful solo web design+marketing business and turns out my job loss coincided with his thinking that he needed a partner to help manage his growing client base. I'll be starting on the middle floor in a lot of ways, but he's prepared to train me up and I'm prepared to manage on half my old salary for 6-12 months. He's a smart guy too, it'll be good to learn stuff again.

What are 'discovered' gas stations?

That they've apparenty been around a while, but I've been totally unaware they existed - until the other day

Busy bodies who like to pass comment and have no interest in hearing your reply. They only wanted to hear their own voice and exalt in whatever sense of mistaken pride it gave them.

Back