The Witcher netflix series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He didn’t have disdain for the material, he was just unaware of it. Meyer watched and read everything Trek up until that point, absorbed the lore and knew it back to front so he could make the best ST film possible. By the time filming began he not only knew it perfectly but had reverence for it.
The interview I saw him do a few weeks ago on the special features it wasn't that he was unaware of it, it's that he thought it was beneath him, he even said "oh the show with the ears." To disdain something is to consider it beneath you. So the example fits.

The rest of what you said is true, once he dug into it and found it to be similar to Horatio Hornblower, he found a way to a good story. He still felt Trek needed a lot of fixing to make it good though. And a lot of what he did Roddenberry famously did not like. It's not very dissimilar from what writers try to do today when they want to "improve" upon the source material. I

Irregardless, the original quote I replied to, said if someone doesn't like the material, they shouldn't be in the writer's room. That certainly fit Meyer when they chose him for Star Trek 2.

The interview I saw him do a few weeks ago on the special features it wasn't that he was unaware of it, it's that he thought it was beneath him, he even said "oh the show with the ears." To disdain something is to consider it beneath you. So the example fits.

The rest of what you said is true, once he dug into it and found it to be similar to Horatio Hornblower, he found a way to a good story. He still felt Trek needed a lot of fixing to make it good though. And a lot of what he did Roddenberry famously did not like. It's not very dissimilar from what writers try to do today when they want to "improve" upon the source material. I

Irregardless, the original quote I replied to, said if someone doesn't like the material, they shouldn't be in the writer's room. That certainly fit Meyer when they chose him for Star Trek 2.

Agree with most of this.

The other thing I would take into consideration though is today’s writers will have distain for stories such as The Witcher because they’ve been indoctrinated about the supposed ‘patriarchy’ and dislike it because of what the characters represent to them. They have a very strong ideology guiding their choices. Hence they seem to have to surround every capable male with about five equally capable women, rather than just following the stories which already have great females in them.

This is essentially the same pattern Hollywood is using for almost everything. Look for it and you won’t be able to unsee it.

Nicholas Meyer was not a fan of Star Trek. He knew little about it, and didn't really care for it. He wrote and directed arguably the best of the Star Trek films, The Wrath of Khan.

One does not have to be a fan of the source material to write a great show. They just need to be able to understand the material and a talent to write.
So what you are saying is at the time Nicholas was not a fan of Star Trek.
But after getting hired and doing his research on Star Trek he liked it and wrote or directed 3 Star Trek movies. He also works on Discovery.
He fell out with Nimoy over one of the movies.
He attends Star Trek conventions.
Really sounds like a guy that doesn’t like Star Trek alright.

I will never understand why so many studios buy the rights to something immensely popular and successful, something with a built in audience and then feel the need to destroy everything that made it unique and interesting.... its completely nonsensical.
Cavill and some of the core cast (okay just Batey as Jaskier) were what made this show enjoyable despite the ever drifting away from the source material, the at-time-goofy effects and the odd directorial choices.
What a stupid decision.

Well - when do Netflix lose the rights? Because I really don't see much of anyone tuning in to see this show post-Cavill - indeed even his last season will probably have a massive loss of viewers from people who will now see the show as on its death bed.
Maybe someone else will acquire the rights in a few years, or a decade or so, and reboot it with Cavill again as an older more grizzled Geralt?
One can hope.

Will still enjoy this figure - but I imagine this announcement will kill off any plans for his season 2 armor figure or any companion characters from the show.
It will serve as a reminder of something that was briefly great (meaning Cavill's performance of course, not the show itself which had some pretty big flaws).

Last edited:
I will never understand why so many studios buy the rights to something immensely popular and successful, something with a built in audience and then feel the need to destroy everything that made it unique and interesting.... its completely nonsensical.
Cavill and some of the core cast (okay just Batey as Jaskier) were what made this show enjoyable despite the ever drifting away from the source material, the at-time-goofy effects and the odd directorial choices.
What a stupid decision.

Well - when do Netflix lose the rights? Because I really don't see much of anyone tuning in to see this show post-Cavill - indeed even his last season will probably have a massive loss of viewers from people who will now see the show as on its death bed.
Maybe someone else will acquire the rights in a few years, or a decade or so, and reboot it with Cavill again as an older more grizzled Geralt?
One can hope.

Will still enjoy this figure - but I imagine this announcement will kill off any plans for his season 2 armor figure or any companion characters from the show.
It will serve as a reminder of something that was briefly great (meaning Cavill's performance of course, not the show itself which had some pretty big flaws).
To be honest announcing recast rn makes no sense, season 3 isn't even out. This was a huge step to the wrong direction. As you said,based on this news lot of ppl won't even watch season 3 now. They won't sell merchandise and so on...Also I noticed Liam is unusually buff rn so I guess this was decided long ago and has nothing to do with Superman or new projects. We all know if Henry wanted to stay they'd schedule it in a right way.Lot of mess, day third and I'm still very hurt and confused. I hope some statement will be published or at least WB officially announces Superman solo film.

Picture bellow is Liam now.
I wish everything best to him tho. Always liked Hemsworth trinity. I hope netflix wakes up and blows up with season 4 otherwise it will be either canceled or end with season 5

Attachments

• 194481AE-94C6-4290-BADE-3016132C799A.jpeg
    194481AE-94C6-4290-BADE-3016132C799A.jpeg
    185.6 KB · Views: 0
To be honest announcing recast rn makes no sense, season 3 isn't even out. This was a huge step to the wrong direction. As you said,based on this news lot of ppl won't even watch season 3 now. They won't sell merchandise and so on...Also I noticed Liam is unusually buff rn so I guess this was decided long ago and has nothing to do with Superman or new projects. We all know if Henry wanted to stay they'd schedule it in a right way.Lot of mess, day third and I'm still very hurt and confused. I hope some statement will be published or at least WB officially announces Superman solo film.

I wish everything best to him tho. Always liked Hemsworth trinity. I hope netflix wakes up and blows up with season 4 otherwise it will be either canceled or end with season 5
Season 4 and 5 will be filmed simultaneously.

Woah. I won't be watching The Witcher after series 3. Series 2 bored me and I'm really only watching it for Henry now, but good on Liam. I certainly wouldn't say no. Great body.

I wont even be watching Season 3, there’s no point now.
I was thinking that, but perhaps they'll wrap up something for Henry's Geralt.

I find it so interesting how much straight men adore Henry. Of course many qualify their admiration as not being a sexual, gay thing, which I KNOW it isn't, but it's still very sweet to see all the blokes look up to him.

Being gay a f I can obviously get away with saying that not only is he admirably fan friendly, pretty nerdy like a lot of us, a good actor and looks like a superhero, but my god is he beautiful. It's insane.

I wont even be watching Season 3, there’s no point now.
Makes no sense announcing it before the season 3 right? Killed all the hype and definitely it won't have any promotion tour or anything. Henry gonna avoid "Why you left the show" questions at all costs. I think fans deserve the truth. WITCHERCON like event would be nice to give us some peace and also welcome Liam. Whole thing is so wrong in so many levels. I feel betrayed.

Makes no sense announcing it before the season 3 right? Killed all the hype and definitely it won't have any promotion tour or anything. Henry gonna avoid "Why you left the show" questions at all costs. I think fans deserve the truth. WITCHERCON like event would be nice to give us some peace and also welcome Liam. Whole thing is so wrong in so many levels. I feel betrayed.

I suppose they just had to get it over with if they're going to be shooting 4 and 5 before series 3 airs. Get the disappointment out now and hope the audience will calm down and still tune in later when it finally airs.

It has massively reduced my interest though and it'll be on my mind every moment I'm watching that he's leaving and that I won't be tuning in again after he's gone, so why would I care what happens to anyone?

I also get the idea that the next Superman film is not just an idea but something almost ready to roll so maybe Henry will be very obviously doing something else when he should be on The Witcher set.

All damage limitation.

Last edited:
So what you are saying is at the time Nicholas was not a fan of Star Trek.
But after getting hired and doing his research on Star Trek he liked it and wrote or directed 3 Star Trek movies. He also works on Discovery.
He fell out with Nimoy over one of the movies.
He attends Star Trek conventions.
Really sounds like a guy that doesn’t like Star Trek alright.
What I said was he’s didn’t like Star Trek at first. He also though the source material needed a lot of fixing.

Going by your quote he would of never been in the writers room to being with.

The point is don’t think only fans can work on a IP.

Agree with most of this.

The other thing I would take into consideration though is today’s writers will have distain for stories such as The Witcher because they’ve been indoctrinated about the supposed ‘patriarchy’ and dislike it because of what the characters represent to them. They have a very strong ideology guiding their choices. Hence they seem to have to surround every capable male with about five equally capable women, rather than just following the stories which already have great females in them.

This is essentially the same pattern Hollywood is using for almost everything. Look for it and you won’t be able to unsee it.
You are moving the goal posts here. I didn’t mention politics, nor did the original quote. We aren’t suppose to talk about them at all here on the forum.

The discussion was on should someone who doesn’t like a IP be allowed in the writer’s room, not writers making things PC in IP.

You are moving the goal posts here. I didn’t mention politics, nor did the original quote. We aren’t suppose to talk about them at all here on the forum.

The discussion was on should someone who doesn’t like a IP be allowed in the writer’s room, not writers making things PC in IP.

No you're right, I did move the conversation on but I think the point is an important one. In time's past writers and directors might not be fans of a show or film, or know much about the project they're about to undertake, but they wouldn't have an ideology bolted to their brains which made them hate what they're doing regardless. The norm would be to envelope oneself in lore and learn everything you can before writing or shooting began. It's very different now.

Sorry, I should have made that clearer.

I suppose they just had to get it over with if they're going to be shooting 4 and 5 before series 3 airs. Get the disappointment out now and hope the audience will calm down and still tune in later when it finally airs.

It has massively reduced my interest though and it'll be on my mind every moment I'm watching that he's leaving and that I won't be tuning in again after he's gone, so why would I care what happens to anyone?

I also get the idea that the next Superman film is not just an idea but something almost ready to roll so maybe Henry will be very obviously doing something else when he should be on The Witcher set.

All damage limitation.
Right? Was thinking about that today, that when we gonna watch season 3,or even they publish trailer and promotional images, we gonna feel only sadness and disappointment...
You are right, they probably announced recasting news as early bc ppl need to chill till the shooting starts. They will probably start shooting in spring so paparazzi images would leak anyway,which probably would be a bigger shock.Such a mess I can't believe this is happening. After all the interviews about how excited he was about Geralt, this feels just wrong. I have no luck, I swear :D While I'm huge Superman fan, comic book characters on screen don't have any kind of depth,Snyder tried to make him deep which I adore,but the mob hated it... based on his recent interviews new Superman gonna be joyful and optimistic, which I don't like already. Hope it will be worth it in the end and he will shine as Superman in a really great movie.
Also even if he left bc of creative differences or scheduling issues, do u believe Netflix wouldn't try to keep him and change the writing based on his complaints? Or make a proper scheduling to not ruin his other projects? Some shows take 2 years off...he isn't on screen much anyway, his scenes could be done in like 2 months. I think there is some other issues and hope we gonna know the truth.

What I said was he’s didn’t like Star Trek at first. He also though the source material needed a lot of fixing.

Going by your quote he would of never been in the writers room to being with.

The point is don’t think only fans can work on a IP.
Yeah.
I still stand by if you don’t like it you shouldn’t work on it. I’m speaking from personal experience working on many projects with teams of 6-10 people over the years.
Just to be clear I didn’t say you had to be a fan to work on it, just like it is enough.
I said you CAN have a room full of people who love an IP and still not agree.

And in fairness Nicholas did like Star Trek after he got to grips with it.
But in the case of the Witcher even after their research on the IP some of them still didn’t like it and I think it shows.
Anyway just my perspective on it. Not going to fall out with anyone over it.

No you're right, I did move the conversation on but I think the point is an important one. In time's past writers and directors might not be fans of a show or film, or know much about the project they're about to undertake, but they wouldn't have an ideology bolted to their brains which made them hate what they're doing regardless. The norm would be to envelope oneself in lore and learn everything you can before writing or shooting began. It's very different now.

Sorry, I should have made that clearer.

They had a ideology that they pushed back on the day. It was just a different one from today. The messaging is clear and all over the place.

What you are accusing Hollywood of doing today is nothing new. They have always done that.

Difference being you agreed with the old messaging and disagree with the new one so you notice it more.

Back