The Witcher netflix series

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am agree, my first thought was WTF when I heard. If they'd had amazing writers on board from the start and it had been Hemsworth from season 1, maybe it would have worked. But that's irrelevant now. This isn't altered carbon where they can sorta explain it lol

Netflix should soon realise that they need Cavill more than he needs their paycheck.

Maybe they should hire writers that actually like and care about the franchise to adapt it. But that might be a crazy take.
Echoes of DC/WB and Superman...

The first season was OK, but there was a lot I didn't like. A lot of casting choices, costumes, buildings, environments. The fact they had real life little people play dwarves instead of doing what LOTR and Hobbit did. That sort of thing. I liked Henry Cavil as Geralt though.
But I made it through season 1.
I watched season 2 up until we meet Eskel. That was the last straw. Stopped watching after that. Glad I did as I understand season 2 deviated a great deal from the books.
I did see something online that suggested the writers of the show didn't like the Witcher books or games and after watching some of the show I can believe it.
I've read the books and watched the whole second season and it sucks. It deviated significantly from the books and for the worst.

It's crazy how these no-name Hollywood hacks think they can write better stories than the creator of the widely beloved properties.

I would've watched it if it had Eva Green as Yennefer and a hot redhead as Triss. It didn't. I like Cavill, but I'm not sitting through hours of genreschlock without A E S T H E T I C S. The whole thing looked cheap and dreary. It reminded of the first Witcher, but I mostly got into it with the second, so I wanted more sunshine. Also hot specimens. Yeah Cavill counts, but not like that...

b23fc73d4248fb101693b17a5a1285bd.jpg

*Cue Sting's Arcane "What Could've Been"*

I still stand by that the show should have begun with a season of Geralt just being Geralt and being a monster hunter. Use it as a way to introduce a broader audience to the concepts of a Witcher. Build on the folklore inspired, adult fairytale concepts that are adapted so well by the Witcher. Not overarching plot, no convoluted mess. Just a monster of the week type bash. It makes Geralt choosing to take on Ciri so much more meaningful too later on.

Season 2 was a hard watch for me outside a few gems. I think Cavill's departure probably was tied to his investment and vision not being respected or realized in full accuracy, coupled with the opportunity to realize the Superman he's always wanted to. Oh well.
Agreed. There are two books of short stories they could have used.

Season 2 was hot garbage and unrecognizable from the source material.

I love the show, and the games, and the books. Things are allowed to change in the jump from one type of media to the next, being too precious about source material can be detrimental from a creator & consumer point of view.

If it is because of DC, I can’t believe we lose Cavill in a trade off for another mediocre superman film. They should just start from scratch than try to redeem the formerly Snyderverse, it was never going to be a good series’s of films.
Agree that things can change between mediums, but I thought season 2 was hot garbage and worse than the Justice League theatrical version.

You’ve got to consider the source.
This writer said “I’ve been on show – namely Witcher – where some of the writers were not [fans] or actively disliked the books and games (even actively mocking the source material)”, DeMayo said. “It’s a recipe for disaster and bad morale. Fandom as a litmus test checks egos, and makes all the long nights worth it. You have to respect the work before you’re allowed to add to its legacy.”

This same writer is also credited as having written the episode with Eskel’s story being changed.

You also have a second writer dropping hints that the first one was fired for being physically and mentally abusive. That puts into question whether the first quote is all that truthful, a bitter former employee can bad mouth the production he’s no longer a part of.

Even if there is some truth to it (from the fired writer’s perspective), let’s reflect on these comments from the showrunner.

Back in 2020, Lauren Hissrich commented on her philosophy of hiring the writers for the show and why there was a need to hire both fans and people, who are distant from the source material.

“When writing an adaptation, are the best writers always the ones most familiar with the world?”, she stated. “Yes. And equally importantly, no.”
She continued: “Let me back up. When you write an adaptation, you have to be familiar with the original work. Yes. Of course. The writers and staff on The Witcher had to read all of the books, and had to appreciate/enjoy the genre. But I specifically didn’t seek out ten Sapkowski scholars.”

It’s important to have voices among the writers who can be critical, that can acknowledge flaws in the source material. There’s no point having a writers room full of people who all have the same opinions.
There’ll be some in the room who love the source, some who just like it, some who don’t like it, but they’ve all read it and appreciate it. They’re not destroying the source material, that will always exist unaffected, infact I’d argue it’s increasing appreciation for it, book sales increased a huge amount from the tv show viewers wanting to immerse themselves in more of that universe.
Letting go of the idea that the ‘adaptation’ has to be a 1-1 translation is important to be able to enjoy it. And though people **** on season 2, it’s pretty consistently reviewed better than the first.
One could perfectly agree with what the showrunner said. But then she went on and made a NCIS-level family show out of the series. With cringy writing, cringy costumes, cringy lighting and cringy shots (tiled cameras, fisheye lenses, and all the repertoire of Xena-level trash cinematography, with all the respect for Raimi).

Woke up,feeling horrible...happy this figure is almost finished, otherwise might have been canceled. Have preordered only 3, if Kit gonna have leftovers, might get more. Stupid me though there would be Season 2 and casual outfit version :monkey2 I just wanted a chill weekend, haven't asked for this lol internet is on fire

You’ve got to consider the source.
This writer said “I’ve been on show – namely Witcher – where some of the writers were not [fans] or actively disliked the books and games (even actively mocking the source material)”, DeMayo said. “It’s a recipe for disaster and bad morale. Fandom as a litmus test checks egos, and makes all the long nights worth it. You have to respect the work before you’re allowed to add to its legacy.”

This same writer is also credited as having written the episode with Eskel’s story being changed.

You also have a second writer dropping hints that the first one was fired for being physically and mentally abusive. That puts into question whether the first quote is all that truthful, a bitter former employee can bad mouth the production he’s no longer a part of.

Even if there is some truth to it (from the fired writer’s perspective), let’s reflect on these comments from the showrunner.

Back in 2020, Lauren Hissrich commented on her philosophy of hiring the writers for the show and why there was a need to hire both fans and people, who are distant from the source material.

“When writing an adaptation, are the best writers always the ones most familiar with the world?”, she stated. “Yes. And equally importantly, no.”
She continued: “Let me back up. When you write an adaptation, you have to be familiar with the original work. Yes. Of course. The writers and staff on The Witcher had to read all of the books, and had to appreciate/enjoy the genre. But I specifically didn’t seek out ten Sapkowski scholars.”

It’s important to have voices among the writers who can be critical, that can acknowledge flaws in the source material. There’s no point having a writers room full of people who all have the same opinions.
There’ll be some in the room who love the source, some who just like it, some who don’t like it, but they’ve all read it and appreciate it. They’re not destroying the source material, that will always exist unaffected, infact I’d argue it’s increasing appreciation for it, book sales increased a huge amount from the tv show viewers wanting to immerse themselves in more of that universe.
Letting go of the idea that the ‘adaptation’ has to be a 1-1 translation is important to be able to enjoy it. And though people **** on season 2, it’s pretty consistently reviewed better than the first.
What a load of crap.
If a writer doesn’t like the source material they shouldn’t be in the room. Simple as. You can have a room full of people who love the source material and have very different opinions on how a story can be structured and what to include and not to include. For some reason you think they’d all sing off the same hymn sheet which in reality doesn’t happen.
As for the “precious” source material as you call it. Well it was the “precious” source material that made it famous and gave these clown writers and show runner a job. So the “precious” source material is crucial to the success of the Witcher and not their opinions and ideas of what it should be. If they want to go a different route create a completely new fantasy show but they don’t have the chops for it.
I’m guessing you think Rings of Power is a masterpiece because the deviate all over the place and do their own thing and badly might I add.

This hit me so hard, on my bed since the news was revealed,can't move,tearing like a kid,also listening to "last of us" soundtrack which makes everything even worse.
A friendly tip, Take a really long walk outside, long enough to make your feet hurt. Then go home and make some constructive real life plans.

What a load of crap.
If a writer doesn’t like the source material they shouldn’t be in the room. Simple as. You can have a room full of people who love the source material and have very different opinions on how a story can be structured and what to include and not to include. For some reason you think they’d all sing off the same hymn sheet which in reality doesn’t happen.
As for the “precious” source material as you call it. Well it was the “precious” source material that made it famous and gave these clown writers and show runner a job. So the “precious” source material is crucial to the success of the Witcher and not their opinions and ideas of what it should be. If they want to go a different route create a completely new fantasy show but they don’t have the chops for it.
I’m guessing you think Rings of Power is a masterpiece because the deviate all over the place and do their own thing and badly might I add.
Not a load of crap, just an opinion you disagree with. Learn the difference.
It’s the showrunner who decides the story and what to include, the writers weave the stories together. Having critical voices (and not just aping the source) is crucial to success.
Make no mistake, without the games massive success the show wouldn’t have been made. They brought the stories to a more varied audience and tripled book sales. It’s peoples love of the games and ‘appreciation’ of the books that made the show a success, and it is a success by various metrics; by viewership, by reviews (critics and audiences), by upping the book and game sales by 500%.
It’s a huge success regardless of if you hate it.

Not a load of crap, just an opinion you disagree with. Learn the difference.
It’s the showrunner who decides the story and what to include, the writers weave the stories together. Having critical voices (and not just aping the source) is crucial to success.
Make no mistake, without the games massive success the show wouldn’t have been made. They brought the stories to a more varied audience and tripled book sales. It’s peoples love of the games and ‘appreciation’ of the books that made the show a success, and it is a success by various metrics; by viewership, by reviews (critics and audiences), by upping the book and game sales by 500%.
It’s a huge success regardless of if you hate it.
Don’t care. I’ve said my piece and if you don’t like it tough.
We’ll agree to disagree on it.

I quite enjoyed Witcher series 1, and am a little obsessed by Henry so I'm still looking forward to The White Wolf figure.

However, series 2 was a massive downgrade. Poor Henry was trying to be positive about it but it was obvious he really wasn't happy. There was one interview he gave during the filming of series 2 where he essentially said 'Geralt isn't in the show anywhere near enough' (obviously paraphrasing, he said it using very diplomatic language indeed.)

I imagine the combo of Series 3 probably being more of the same disappointment (that show runner is some mad feminazi with cut, nose, despite, face as her fave keywords) AND his return to Superman under a team that isn't woke a f made leaving an easy decision, rather than asking Netflix to work around S'man filming.

Henry 'only' has about 10 years when he'll look young enough, and that's with keeping up a very tough lifestyle, to play Superman so obviously they'll be getting on with it ASAP and my hormones are terrified.

What a load of crap.
If a writer doesn’t like the source material they shouldn’t be in the room.
Nicholas Meyer was not a fan of Star Trek. He knew little about it, and didn't really care for it. He wrote and directed arguably the best of the Star Trek films, The Wrath of Khan.

One does not have to be a fan of the source material to write a great show. They just need to be able to understand the material and a talent to write.

Nicholas Meyer was not a fan of Star Trek. He knew little about it, and didn't really care for it. He wrote and directed arguably the best of the Star Trek films, The Wrath of Khan.

One does not have to be a fan of the source material to write a great show. They just need to be able to understand the material and a talent to write.
They don't have to be a fan but they should respect the source material. Something the writers in question didn't even bother doing because they didn't respect it to begin with.

They don't have to be a fan but they should respect the source material. Something the writers in question didn't even bother doing because they didn't respect it to begin with.
I don't disagree with that. But he said they needed to be a like the material, which is what I was addressing.

As for the Witcher I've read the books and watched the show. I like both.

I don't disagree with that. But he said they needed to be a like the material, which is what I was addressing.

As for the Witcher I've read the books and watched the show. I like both.
No issue with that. But the best shows that follow the material as close as possible are the ones with the most profit. Now there will always me deviation from the original story but as long as most of it is present it shouldn't be an issue to achieve. I didn't feel the show was as good as it should have been but I enjoyed moments and was able to get through it because of Henry. Now I don't think I'll be tunning back in after he leaves.

He didn’t have disdain for the material, he was just unaware of it. Meyer watched and read everything Trek up until that point, absorbed the lore and knew it back to front so he could make the best ST film possible. By the time filming began he not only knew it perfectly but had reverence for it.

Back