Hot Toys 1/6 The Suicide Squad King Shark

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I’m sure they made a lot of money from those free trials lol
Spoken like a person who has no earthly idea what their business model is and how they can monetize streaming content on a new platform.
Because of course, a huge company with an army of accountants, financial analysts, and folks who have more business acumen in their pinkies than you’ve accumulated across the course of your entire life, on their payroll gave the movie away for free so that they would lose money and give nerds on the Internet something to make fun of them about.

That is a really good price. Definitely buying, he is just to cool.
Yeah, I don’t know anything about the characters from this film (except HQ), I have not seen it yet. However, this figure is very cool and unique looking, I think he will be a great addition to your collection.

I am looking forward to the “in-hand” pics by you and others on this forum, of course I’m sure it will be some time before he ships.

I know some people feel TSS performed fine and I appreciate the arguments in support of its success. But I’ll just point out that that’s not the narrative in the mainstream media. FWIW It’s fine to have a different opinion than the mainstream! I do about Zack Snyder’s films, for example. But if you search ”how did the suicide squad do?” Etc., this is the sort of infotainment industry analysis you find:

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/suicide-squad-box-office-delta-variant-covid-1235037074/
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...de-squad-box-office-jungle-cruise-1234994557/
https://deadline.com/2021/08/the-su...pening-weekend-box-office-hbo-max-1234810359/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...ie-was-a-box-office-disaster/?sh=32f339f575e2
https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/08/media/suicide-squad-box-office/index.html
https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/b...nderwhelms-with-265-million-debut-2021-08-08/
https://screenrant.com/suicide-squad-2021-box-office-disappointing-failure-reasons/

Spoken like a person who has no earthly idea what their business model is and how they can monetize streaming content on a new platform.
Because of course, a huge company with an army of accountants, financial analysts, and folks who have more business acumen in their pinkies than you’ve accumulated across the course of your entire life, on their payroll gave the movie away for free so that they would lose money and give nerds on the Internet something to make fun of them about.
Ok lets take your streaming argument then. The last number we got for streaming viewership was 4.7 million, say all of them were a paying member at $14.99, thats $70,453,000 in HBO Max money.

Lets be kind and say they put all of that money towards The Suicide Squad and add it onto their box office numbers of $154.6 million, that’s still only $225 million.

With a budget of $185 million the movie is a flop, because those budgets usually don’t include marketing etc.

So in what universe is this movie a financial success?

Even Venom made more money than this. Tenet made more money than this ffs.

Since Covid Tenet looking like a champ, though!
Fast and Furious 9 raked in frickin $700M at the box office. That’s insane under current conditions. Out at the same time as TSS.

Although reportedly TSS also did extremely well on streaming platform which is a bonafide win for it. Can’t take that away from it.

Good RT score doesn’t translate into ticket sales, and hopefully that’s sinking in to studios.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Shouldn't studios aim for high RT or IMDB scores? You make it seem like it's better for studios to make trash like Fast Furious for easy profits rather than anything good.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Shouldn't studios aim for high RT or IMDB scores? You make it seem like it's better for studios to make trash like Fast Furious for easy profits rather than anything good.

For example since BvS and ZSJL (the latter completed initial photography back in 2017) WB has tried to a fair degree to lighten up it’s DC live action films because of the popularity of the MCU’s more escapist, comedic approach. And WB did get good reviews with Shazam, BoP, and TSS. It just hasn’t translated to robust box office success for those three films. I mean, yes, two of them are R rated and quite violent. But Deadpool (not MCU I realize, but still similar in overall approach) showed that R rated and comedic can do some great box office.

OTOH Aquaman was in the MCU vein and it made $1B. And it managed a fresh RT score but only 6% lower and it would’ve been rotten.

My main point is that hopefully they can start making films that are truly director driven, versus “film by committee,” and that aren’t just trying to mimic what’s already been proven to be popular with the critics and successful at the box office.

It’s a multiverse now, so there’s room for different styles of DC films. I’m sure The Batman will perform well. And it’s going to have some psychologically very dark and disturbing material for sure, and be serious and mature in its approach. And it’ll get rave reviews I’m sure.

Last edited:
My main point is that hopefully they can start making films that are truly director driven, versus “film by committee,” and that aren’t just trying to mimic what’s already been proven to be popular with the critics and successful at the box office.
As much as I personally agree with the sentiment, if any WB execs were to actually read this I imagine they'd piss themselves laughing. :unsure::cautious:

Fast and Furious 9 raked in frickin $700M at the box office. That’s insane under current conditions. Out at the same time as TSS.

Although reportedly TSS also did extremely well on streaming platform which is a bonafide win for it. Can’t take that away from it.

Good RT score doesn’t translate into ticket sales, and hopefully that’s sinking in to studios.
Difference was Covid was declining when F9 came out, which is why Universal bullishly released it to theaters only. TSS was available for free in people’s living rooms while the Delta variant was on the rise…kind of a nonsensical comparison don’t you think?

Difference was Covid was declining when F9 came out, which is why Universal bullishly released it to theaters only. TSS was available for free in people’s living rooms while the Delta variant was on the rise…kind of a nonsensical comparison don’t you think?

It’s a fair point about concurrent streaming release. I’m curious what sort of views TSS has gotten, not just for it’s opening weekend but since then.

As much as I personally agree with the sentiment, if any WB execs were to actually read this I imagine they'd piss themselves laughing. :unsure::cautious:

Haha, true! There’s a difference between boldly pioneering what’s successful (such as the MCU) and others trying to do pale imitations of it is really what I meant.

Finally watched the movie and enjoyed it - I don't feel like it will stay with me in the ways films like ZS Justice League, the Burton & Nolan Batmen films, Logan, Winter Soldier, Wonder Woman, X1, X2, or DOFP will, but still just a really fun flick with some really cool set-pieces/moments and genuinely engaging characters that I will happily watch again when I want some mindless fun. Also very darkly funny.

Who knew I would leave the cinema so emotionally invested in Ratcatcher 2? Genuinely moved by the emotional beats surrounding her. Easily the best character. I would love to see more of her in other properties but I'm also struggling to think of what stories she would naturally be a part of organically plus her character here is so well done it almost feels a shame to potentially ruin it in a follow-up.

King Shark - naturally, was a scene stealer, I loved him in the movie. He was so sweet, despite eating people. I do now feel like the figure would have been elevated by including some human viscera and maybe one or two of his "dumb fish friends" (who turn out not to be remotely friendly) - but again for this price point I'm not going to complain. More than happy to keep the pre-order, he was fun, the character is fun, the figure looks great and so different - winning all round for me. Who doesn't want a shark-human hybrid on their shelf. I now NEED him in an Aquaman movie with a buddy-cop like dynamic, lets begin a campaign to digitally replace Amber Heard in A2 with King Shark :ROFLMAO:

Polka-Dot-Man is perhaps my second biggest happy surprise, also the running joke about his mum was easily the funniest thing to me.

Peacemaker was also really engaging - he had some of the funnier moments (though a few felt forced) but his attempts to one-up Bloodsport in murder was so darkly funny, and his 3rd act turn was played really effectively. John Cena did a great job and I am actually looking forward to where the character is going.

I may be in a minority here but I wasn't blown away with Bloodsport, Elba did a great job as always, I liked him more than the first film's Deadshot, his interactions with the team were well done but for me the character was a bit.... okayish? I feel like I've seen so many characters with the same "deadly marksman/swordsman/fighter etc., bad man with a heart of gold, sympathetic because he has a kid/is motivated by a kid, doesn't play by the rules" gimmicks that I'm numb to the character. I'm not saying that I've seen the same type of character done better, only that I have definitely seen it before, and often. Objectively I know he is a cool character, with a very cool design/look which would translate really well into a 1/6 figure with some cool accesories - but I just can't drudge up an emotional connection. I cared about him the most when he was interacting with Ratcatcher 2 (and Sebastian) and his funnier interactions with Peacemaker.

In terms of figures I would really really like to see Ratcatcher 2 (with Sebastian + a metric tonne of other rats). For me she is the other must have of the line-up other than King Shark, and the two friends being displayed together would be fantastic. plus her mask and hood look would be really interesting on a shelf.

I would also like Harley from her battle outfit at the beginning of the movie, mostly because I really like Robbie's take on the character and unfortunately so far all her costumes have been hideous enough to deter me from buying a figure of her version. Even though this look barely lasts 5 mins of the movie i still think its her best costume to date.

As much as I enjoy Polka-Dot-Man and Peacemaker, I didn't enjoy them enough for Hot Toys prices (unless they are King Shark prices), especially given how picky I am currently having to be with my pre-orders. I would however happily pick up decent enough 3rd party releases. My thoughts on Bloodsport may change if I saw a figure that was awesome enough, but for now he would be a miss for me.

Is it me or does the figure look up to much?

I prefer him to look more horizontal or even slightly down…

They should’ve included a tiny Peacemaker.
55A3C47C-8036-495C-930D-E3709237FBAD.gif
D998331D-77F9-4B4B-AE8F-F5A0A7948363.gif

8FBDC25F-BFE3-4DCE-B23C-909BCFFAEE72.jpeg

And does he have joints on the elbows?

Are changes still possible? I know with BvS Batman and Spider-Man PS4, the prototype and end product were like night and day. Hope it happens to this too.

Hot Toys doesn’t cancel figures once they go up for preorder but they certainly will be in no rush to get this figure out.
Based upon the fact that no other figures from this film are being produced they probably wish they had pulled this one before the preorders went up.
Safe bet that this one and done figure will be buried in the release schedule.
Wouldn’t be surprised if it is not released until 2024.
People will assume that it is some tooling issue since it’s a unique figure, but it will just be buried and quietly slip out in a couple of years after Hot Toys releases some Marvel and Mandalorian figures that haven’t even been teased yet even though this one is already up for preorder.

Hot Toys doesn’t cancel figures once they go up for preorder but they certainly will be in no rush to get this figure out.
Based upon the fact that no other figures from this film are being produced they probably wish they had pulled this one before the preorders went up.
Safe bet that this one and done figure will be buried in the release schedule.
Wouldn’t be surprised if it is not released until 2024.
People will assume that it is some tooling issue since it’s a unique figure, but it will just be buried and quietly slip out in a couple of years after Hot Toys releases some Marvel and Mandalorian figures that haven’t even been teased yet even though this one is already up for preorder.
This one should be very easy to produce, you can basically 3d print this?

Back