The Simpsons Ultimates! - Super7

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still irritated that this line is cancelled, but I think since it is ending early I might try to get all the waves eventually. Won’t pay full price though.
On the bright side, you won't be spending hundreds/thousands of dollars to support this line for the next several years. :lol

Personally, I love all the deep cut figures/characters that Super 7 was releasing (as someone who owns most of the Playmates line).

But I agree that Super 7 should have interspersed more of the mainstream characters throughout the initial waves. They need those cash cow figures to sustain the rest of the line and the more obscure characters that do not sell as well.

It's like when an actor does a blockbuster movie for the big payday, which allows them to work for scale on a more creative independent films with smaller budgets.

The $55 price point and the larger scale probably scared off the more casual Simpsons fan.

I wasn’t collecting when Playmates was making their Simpsons figures. I’ve looked at them a bit and while they look decent you can see that they’re over twenty year old figures. Maybe I’d have more nostalgia for them had I been collecting them back in the day.

The figures themselves are actually really good. There are some that I purchased that I am a big fan of like Space Homer and Itchy and Scratchy Bot. I would have really liked getting the entire family with their normal looks to finish this line off. I am assuming based on the interview that all Disney is off the table for them now?

As far as figures beyond wave 1 coming out, I am definitely going to get Kang and Kodos since those are nicely self contained.

As others, I wasn't fully on board with their figure choices. It seemed like they were playing the long, long, long game by choosing Moe as the only standard figure design in wave 1. I also would have been more interested if they didn't go so deep into the well from the get-go. Itchy and Scratchy aren't headlining figures like Homer, but the first wave has variants of even them. Maybe if they did the standard look for all the wave 1 characters and not robots and space suits it would have sold better. But maybe not. Seems like the Ultimates line in general hasn't been very successful based on all the sales late last year.

I'm more curious as to what kind of input Disney had on the character selection. Obviously Super 7 is not stupid, their TMNT line had one of the main Turtles for each wave.

The Disney Ultimates line seems to have the more 'unique' character selection. I'm not terribly knowledgeable about GI Joe and Thundercats, but those lines seem to include the heavy-hitters, as does the Power Rangers series. To me, it looks a lot more like Disney had some strong input on what figures Super 7 was allowed to make, as the Simpsons and Disney lines have the more unusual choices, and seem to have struggled the most.

In short, I'm not going to point fingers at Super 7 as to why the Simpsons line ended.

At my local stores I definitely see a lot of the Ultimates end up on a sort of discount.

I am a big Disney Fan and some of those choices were definitely too random even for my taste.

I really liked their SpongeBob and Animaniacs ones. But unlike with the simpsons they went straight to the heavy hitting characters.

In the vid the guy is clearly sad about the problems but hopeful they will resume the line in the future. I was hoping to get occasional characters, I POd Kang, Kodos and I was hoping to get fat hat Homer. My fingers were crossed for comic book guy.

the guy is clearly sad about the problems

a8e50b15-bfa2-42fd-aff4-169b89f7383c_text.gif

I just learned about this. I've always wanted the normal outfit version of Simpsons but they never offered them in the first wave, which made me decide to hold off until the family's normal versions were going to be made. A long time passed and each time I checked for the actual Simpsons version I wanted, I kept being disappointed that Super7 was always working on side characters and the family in other outfits. I remember people were saying that Super7 was doing this to keep interest in the line alive, but it certainly did the opposite for me. I never once pre-ordered anything from their Simpsons toys because I didn't think it was worth the high price if I wasn't going to get the main family in their iconic outfits in the first place.

I'm glad I never got into this Super7 Simpsons line, otherwise I'd be extremely disappointed now. They really should've focused on the main versions of the family first instead of the side characters. Maybe this would've drummed up more interest for their Simpsons toys. Instead, their insistence on not making them just made people hold off from buying them. Personally, if they released all the family members in the first wave in their normal outfits, I would've bought them all. Then I would've also been interested in getting other versions of characters like astronaut Homer or mumu Homer.

Hopefully this would serve as a lesson to them and other toy companies in the future. If you're going to sell toys from a certain property, make sure the main characters get represented in their most iconic looks first in order to make fans more likely to commit! This was such a wasted opportunity for modern day Simpsons toys. I hope somebody else makes Simpsons toys and avoid this sort of mistake.

Anyway, I'm still completely happy with my old Simpsons toys from the 90s. I still have them in near perfect condition and I love them.

I just learned about this. I've always wanted the normal outfit version of Simpsons but they never offered them in the first wave, which made me decide to hold off until the family's normal versions were going to be made. A long time passed and each time I checked for the actual Simpsons version I wanted, I kept being disappointed that Super7 was always working on side characters and the family in other outfits. I remember people were saying that Super7 was doing this to keep interest in the line alive, but it certainly did the opposite for me. I never once pre-ordered anything from their Simpsons toys because I didn't think it was worth the high price if I wasn't going to get the main family in their iconic outfits in the first place.

I'm glad I never got into this Super7 Simpsons line, otherwise I'd be extremely disappointed now. They really should've focused on the main versions of the family first instead of the side characters. Maybe this would've drummed up more interest for their Simpsons toys. Instead, their insistence on not making them just made people hold off from buying them. Personally, if they released all the family members in the first wave in their normal outfits, I would've bought them all. Then I would've also been interested in getting other versions of characters like astronaut Homer or mumu Homer.

Hopefully this would serve as a lesson to them and other toy companies in the future. If you're going to sell toys from a certain property, make sure the main characters get represented in their most iconic looks first in order to make fans more likely to commit! This was such a wasted opportunity for modern day Simpsons toys. I hope somebody else makes Simpsons toys and avoid this sort of mistake.

Anyway, I'm still completely happy with my old Simpsons toys from the 90s. I still have them in near perfect condition and I love them.

How are you displaying the old Playmates WOS figures?

I have them stored in a box when I moved about 20-years ago but never unboxed them. In the subsequent 2 decades, 1:6 figures and higher end statues have taken over my collection space.

Seems like it'd be such a waste to have them inside ModuCases but I also don't want the Simpsons figures in the open air, it'd be such a pain to constantly dust.

How are you displaying the old Playmates WOS figures?

I have them stored in a box when I moved about 20-years ago but never unboxed them. In the subsequent 2 decades, 1:6 figures and higher end statues have taken over my collection space.

Seems like it'd be such a waste to have them inside ModuCases but I also don't want the Simpsons figures in the open air, it'd be such a pain to constantly dust.

I think mine are Mattel. They're the ones from the 90s. I put them each in an opened zip loc and put them in a toy box when not in use. I normally make little videos out of toys so everyone gets a constant rotation outside of their little zip locs lol!

Back