The Orville (FOX TV Series)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What happened to The Orville? :huh

The first two seasons were funny, and better than nu-Trek itself.

I started on Season 3 yesterday expecting more of the same, but its character has changed almost entirely. What was once a great spoof has become the object of the spoof itself. :dunno

I was hoping this was just a blip, but the reviews on IMDB suggest that season 3 is indeed a different animal. :panic:

EDIT:

I think I see Seth's long term strategy.

He's a big Star Trek fan, and season one of The Orville was a Trojan horse: a parody carrying the real intention of making an homage. It began to change during season two. Season three just happened to coincide with the official homage: Strange New Worlds.

Seth also probably had to “Trojan horse” the show to get it made. He was/is really pigeonholed creatively to just stick to humor. He probably leveraged some star power during the Fox/Disney merger to get some creative freedom.

Seth also probably had to “Trojan horse” the show to get it made. He was/is really pigeonholed creatively to just stick to humor. He probably leveraged some star power during the Fox/Disney merger to get some creative freedom.

That would make sense.

The really bold comedy of the first season has gradually been phased out. Now the comedy, when it occurs, is a lot more subtle. In its place the threat stakes have been raised, and in dire situations the characters are even less 'jokey' and flippant than they were in the first eight episodes of Strange New Worlds.

Back