The Matrix 4

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clown needs 30 youtubers to explain this movie to him lol
fKTybo8.jpg

You haven’t watched Cobra Kai? Check it out, great show. Season 4 was just released recently.
It’s funny how people are bashing this movie for showing old footage for flashbacks and nostalgia bait but Cobra Kai has been guilty of that since the get :lol

I didn't get to watch this twice yet but I really enjoyed it. I'll watch again before it leaves HBOMax. No figures I really want from the movie though.

Watched this movie last night and it was enjoyable for what it is. I still prefer Matrix to be a stand alone movie overall but I have always liked the dynamic between Neo and Trinity. I really missed Fishburne as Morpheous in this one but the new guy was alright. Same with Smith. Overall a little over average for what I was expecting going in on this.

The concept of freedom in a Matrix-like reality is something I could discuss for days; it's an itch that I wouldn't be able to scratch enough. But I have to try to keep this specifically about Matrix 4. Must. Show. Restraint. :gah:

The points you raise about people willingly choosing to remain in the Matrix (much like Cypher in the first movie) are the perfect examples to illustrate what I mean about the hypocrisy between the movie's plot and its preachy message. Those who would choose like Cypher are portrayed as a clear part of the problem. However, the solution ends up being to allow them their artificial lives, but with a "liberated" designer of their reality. Think about that.

Wachowski spends time using dialogue from various characters to condemn the willingness of people to accept the inherent artifice of losing oneself in technology. The in-movie sheeple that the Analyst talks about are those who live in the Matrix and are most energized by manipulation. They're an obvious analog to the sheeple in our society who let themselves become slaves to the manipulations of social media and other tech. That's one of the main points of commentary. And I would say so far, so good with that commentary.

But how does the actual plot play itself out in terms of solving the problem? By having Neo/Trinity decide how people should be *allowed* to live in the Matrix. From their point of view, they're being righteous in wanting to "free" people from being manipulated. But in doing so, all that's really going to happen is the same thing that the Oracle and Neo managed to create at the end of Revolutions. How do I know that? How do I know it'll be a very similar resolution? Because Resurrections is the exact same plot structure as the original film. If there's a Matrix 5, I'd be willing to bet that we'd see actual proof. This story keeps going the same way.

First Matrix movie: Thomas Anderson has an inkling that there's something insidious about his reality. A liberated Trinity shows up and wins his heart, helping set the stage for his desire to escape fake reality and set himself free. He's an anomaly who gains the power to conquer his oppressors and even learns to fly at the end.

Matrix Resurrections: Tiffany has an inkling that there's something insidious about her reality. A liberated Neo shows up and wins her heart, helping set the stage for her desire to escape fake reality and set herself free. She's an anomaly who gains the power to conquer her oppressors and even learns to fly at the end.

So then what happens? Well, the same thing all over again. An effort to create a better fake reality, and also a more peaceful co-existence between humans and machines. It's the exact same ****, where you get evolved people deciding the fate of the sheeple. And *that* is the underlying real-world desire of Lana Wachowski, and why I perceive it hypocritical to set it up by condemning the same basic thing (fundamentally speaking).

It's much like the hypocrisy of spending the first 30 minutes in the movie overtly crapping on modern Hollywood, then proceeding to follow the exact same playbook of someone like J.J. Abrams. And if you believe it wasn't hypocritical because of intentional irony being employed, then it's at least manipulative because of how it demeans an audience for wanting to consume it, and then proceeds to feed it to them (with a self-satisfying condescension). Yuck!

But make no mistake, I respect your view and understand what you're getting at. And I'm glad you enjoy this movie. On some levels, I do to. But I *really* hate the redundancy of it, and therefore the pointlessness of it. And yes, the hypocrisy that I perceive (and maybe that's just on me) bothers me a great deal. No matter what, always fun having these back-and-forths with you, my friend. Always appreciate reading your well-thought-out takes. :duff
I read this in the architects voice from the second movie. The second to last paragraph really sings that way

I didn't mind the movie at all. I hated the ending of Revolutions when Neo and Trinity died, so I was happy to see them revived and have a much better ending here.

There was nothing ground breaking with the effects, all action movies tend to look pretty similar these days with the cgi being used. The Matrix in 99 was just ground breaking for it's time and 2 and 3 weren't able to replicate that either. I didn't really expect this film to live up to the original anyway.

I'll watch it again to pick up on things I have missed.

Back