The Mandalorian (Star Wars Live Action Series)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe they really should have just ended it after season two, and let Filoni tell Bo-Katan's story in a separate series or on Asohka.

It's like that episode of Seinfeld where Jerry tells George to go out on a high note and leave them wanting more. If all we got was those two seasons, The Mandalorian would have been considered one of those near-perfect shows.

I don't think this season is BAD so far....it's just not great like the first two. All shows decline in quality over time. I know it's only been 3 episodes but it's still a hell of a lot better than Obi Wan and BoBF.
End at S2, have Mando be a supporting/guest character on other shows.

5 years later you bring back "The Mandalorian" where he is doing some stuff then reuinites with Grogu, the end.

The reason i’m not panicking is because I still want to know what happens next.

With TLOU I stopped caring soon after it started but then again zombie apocalypse bores me and will never be Star Wars for me.

I guess what i’m trying to say is that SW is my life even bad SW lol

IMO there isn't anything bad. It's a different approach that's appropriate for where Mando's arc is at this point in time. Season 1 we were getting to know Mando, and his world view gets derailed. Season 2 he has a distinct goal, and pays a heavy price to achieve it. Gets stripped of his child, ship, and identity, but rebuilds.
Season 3 - we don't know yet. So far his primary concern has been reclaiming his identity. But IMO it's a kind of "man plans, God laughs" kind of thing 😁 . Because of meeting Bo-katan and other Mandalorians. He owns the Darksaber that he can't use effectively, yet. His child is strong in the Force which makes him a target. There's Bo-katan with her own agenda, and from Season 2 apparently (since she kind of bs'd Mando about taking the ship) she's willing to stretch things to get what she wants. The Mythosaur could have swallowed him, and Bo as well. It didn't. Why?

All these pieces that have been laid out need to start coming together. Also, I think we're seeing - and the trailer alludes to this - that the New Republic is just overly-confident about how nice the world is now. Trying to rehabilitate without considering that remnants of the Empire may not be too happy, and would lick their wounds and regather. :horror

Mando being weak and incompetent would be fine, as would him being incredibly competent and tough, either can work, but this show makes him (and the other mando's) so inconsistent it stretches suspension of disbelief to breaking point. The character(s) can be tough or weak, super smart and capable or completely inept idiots etc depending on what the writer wants to make the next thing happen. This is the sign of terrible writing. Sure, smart and tough characters can certainly make the occasional mistake but when it flip flops this much it is just comical.

This particular series gets the most forgiveness from viewers thanks to timing. Season 1 came when the sequels had messed things up so badly that expectations were at rock bottom, so being just OK was comparatively like being the best Star Wars ever to the viewers.

There's stuff that's happened with Mando that I find questionable; but, overall - and one of the images in my head is the Jawas just shooting him off their crawler:lol - is that - he's just a guy. He can be hurt. So I don't think the writing is terrible. You've got this stoic, dangerous bounty hunter who has a code, and isn't too proud to accept help, and doesn't treat the rest of the world like *&^% and beneath him. From Clone Wars and this show, I have the feeling usually you wouldn't ask the average Mandalorian for directions😁. Din D'jarin seems to be different than a lot of his peers. Above all, the character has honor.

Which is one of the biggest reasons I love the show, to see how Din D'jarin comes to terms with his inner conflicts. Not because of nostalgia. At least for myself, I hadn't been an SW uber fan, but a fantasy/mythology fan. Ended up backtracking a lot - hadn't watched Clone Wars, or Rebels, or really understood the dust-up over the PT (still not sure I do). Loosely in a way, the idea of a very young sacred child needing protection and a motely band of protectors gathered along the way feels more like a fantasy trope, vs. how I think of SW - in a broad sense.

I've got no problems with the writing, so far. There's a nice continuity with Navarro flourishing. There's a reason Mando now needs a droid (a far cry from where he started). There's a nice lead to hooking up with Bo-katan again, and why she ends up staying with him. We've got a vicious mole right there at Coruscant. And a Mythosaur. Plus some awesome fights. And an interesting dynamic between Bo and Din D'jarin, because the script gave things time to breathe.

So far, so good.😁:drink

Last edited:
IMO there isn't anything bad. It's a different approach that's appropriate for where Mando's arc is at this point in time. Season 1 we were getting to know Mando, and his world view gets derailed. Season 2 he has a distinct goal, and pays a heavy price to achieve it. Gets stripped of his child, ship, and identity, but rebuilds.
Season 3 - we don't know yet. So far his primary concern has been reclaiming his identity. But IMO it's a kind of "man plans, God laughs" kind of thing 😁 . Because of meeting Bo-katan and other Mandalorians. He owns the Darksaber that he can't use effectively, yet. His child is strong in the Force which makes him a target. There's Bo-katan with her own agenda, and from Season 2 apparently (since she kind of bs'd Mando about taking the ship) she's willing to stretch things to get what she wants. The Mythosaur could have swallowed him, and Bo as well. It didn't. Why?

All these pieces that have been laid out need to start coming together. Also, I think we're seeing - and the trailer alludes to this - that the New Republic is just overly-confident about how nice the world is now. Trying to rehabilitate without considering that remnants of the Empire may not be too happy, and would lick their wounds and regather. :horror

There's stuff that's happened with Mando that I find questionable; but, overall - and one of the images in my head is the Jawas just shooting him off their crawler:lol - is that - he's just a guy. He can be hurt. So I don't think the writing is terrible. You've got this stoic, dangerous bounty hunter who has a code, and isn't too proud to accept help, and doesn't treat the rest of the world like *&^% and beneath him. From Clone Wars and this show, I have the feeling usually you wouldn't ask the average Mandalorian for directions😁. Din D'jarin seems to be different than a lot of his peers.

Which is one of the biggest reasons I love the show, to see how Din D'jarin comes to terms with his inner conflicts. Not because of nostalgia. At least for myself, I hadn't been an SW uber fan, but a fantasy/mythology fan. Ended up backtracking a lot - hadn't watched Clone Wars, or Rebels, or really understood the dust-up over the PT (still not sure I do). Loosely in a way, the idea of a very young sacred child needing protection and a motely band of protectors gathered along the way feels more like a fantasy trope, vs. how I think of SW - in a broad sense.

I've got no problems with the writing, so far. There's a nice continuity with Navarro flourishing. There's a reason Mando now needs a droid (a far cry from where he started). There's a nice lead to hooking up with Bo-katan again, and why she ends up staying with him. We've got a vicious mole right there at Coruscant. And a Mythosaur. Plus some awesome fights. And an interesting dynamic between Bo and Din D'jarin, because the script gave things time to breathe.

So far, so good.😁:drink
Epic post :duff

Loosely in a way, the idea of a very young sacred child needing protection and a motely band of protectors gathered along the way feels more like a fantasy trope, vs. how I think of SW - in a broad sense.
Interesting; Star Wars is generally regarded as Space Fantasy, given the wizards and mystic powers that figure so heavily, dressed as they are in outlandish technology.
I've got no problems with the writing, so far.
@Sassafras is merciful. 😁

How crazy is it to think that ESB even had a budget. The global phenomenon that was Star Wars should've given Lucas a blank check at that point. I'm glad we got what we got with Fett though, so it worked out.

It's been years since I read about it, can't remember if he was financing ESB himself at that point, but yeah ... everything has a budget.

Yep he was, and even had to take out loans from multiple banks if I remember correctly.

He was in constant danger of running out of money and had 20th Century Fox constantly offering to give him that oh so tempting blank check...if he would only agree to turn ownership of the IP over to them.

It wasn't until the PT that he was so astronomically wealthy that he could give the movies whatever budget he wanted and look how that turned out, lol. It's good to have limits that force creative solutions.

Oh dang I didn't know ESB was working around big budget constraints; it visually still holds up.

WQP9Yeb.jpg

Empire Strikes Back is legitimately one of the best directed movies I've ever seen. Obviously the story is incredible, but Kershner really ties it together in a way that is really inspired. Something like Yoda could be SO unbearably goofy when he does his fake persona that the fact it was an act would be silly in a worse movie.

Obviously everyone loves Empire but it can never be praised enough for the type of overall movie it is. Truly a masterwork and one of the greatest films ever made. It’s unreal how high the expectations were and it SURPASSED them. Imagine a blockbuster surpassing expectations today, especially a Star Wars movie.

Last edited:
Empire Strikes Back is legitimately one of the best directed movies I've ever seen. Obviously the story is incredible, but Kershner really ties it together in a way that is really inspired. Something like Yoda could be SO unbearably goofy when he does his fake persona that the fact it was an act would be silly in a worse movie.

Obviously everyone loves Empire but it can never be praised enough for the type of overall movie it is. Truly a masterwork and one of the greatest films ever made. It’s unreal how high the expectations were and it SURPASSED them. Imagine a blockbuster surpassing expectations today, especially a Star Wars movie.
100% this. Truly a masterpiece.

Absolutely agree, it is by far my favorite Star Wars film. In regards to how well it was directed and written, by time the movie is over, the Millenium Falcon, a ship, becomes another of the main characters of the franchise, think about that!

Interesting; Star Wars is generally regarded as Space Fantasy, given the wizards and mystic powers that figure so heavily, dressed as they are in outlandish

@Sassafras is merciful. 😁
Space fantasy? I suppose. But *where I came from* 😁 the nanosecond space, and space ships show up, it's space. No talking trees, for one thing. Places like Coruscant don't exist, but pointy-eared incredibly beautiful beings in flowy robes who can shoot your eye out with an arrow do. Also everybody lives in the woods.😁

LOL I'm not merciful:lol. Depends. But if I can skate over SW's reiterations of "I've got a bad feeling about this" and Luke being way too happy his sister kissed him at one point:monkey3, I can live with Favreau & Filoni having to walk the balance in delivering a show for the masses, re the script.

Although - there's a RUMOR that the unkillable Ahoska might pop up this episode, so I look forward to my head exploding this week.:stake

Space fantasy? I suppose. But *where I came from* 😁 the nanosecond space, and space ships show up, it's space. No talking trees, for one thing. Places like Coruscant don't exist, but pointy-eared incredibly beautiful beings in flowy robes who can shoot your eye out with an arrow do. Also everybody lives in the woods.😁

LOL I'm not merciful:lol. Depends. But if I can skate over SW's reiterations of "I've got a bad feeling about this" and Luke being way too happy his sister kissed him at one point:monkey3, I can live with Favreau & Filoni having to walk the balance in delivering a show for the masses, re the script.

Although - there's a RUMOR that the unkillable Ahoska might pop up this episode, so I look forward to my head exploding this week.:stake
Were you bothered by any of the unkillable OT characters? Mando is also unkillable.

We’ve been chasing the ESB high ever since…. But never quite reached those lofty peaks again.

Back