The Mandalorian (Star Wars Live Action Series)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I disagree , but find your analogy highly amusing šŸ˜‚
:LOL: ...you're free to disagree, of course -- but I would ask you to compare the dialogue and internal logic of this segment to any episode of Andor:

I think it's self-evident that the writing is dumbed down, the characters come across as childish, and the situations stretch suspension of disbelief further than Andor's plot devices.

I think it's aping the quieter tone and psychological sketches, but it's very clumsy in direct comparison.

This is like Andor Karaoke!

I was looking forward to this one. Picking up from last episode, a longer than usual runtime etc
Reading these comments, sounds like I'm in for a disappointment.
I really liked Andor but have zero belief that Favreau can write to the level of Andor.
He needs to stick to his fun swashbuckling, leave your brain at home adventure stuff that he's done with Mando so far.

I was looking forward to this one. Picking up from last episode, a longer than usual runtime etc
Reading these comments, sounds like I'm in for a disappointment.
I really liked Andor but have zero belief that Favreau can write to the level of Andor.
He needs to stick to his fun swashbuckling, leave your brain at home adventure stuff that he's done with Mando so far.
Itā€™s nothing like Andor, dunno where these comparisons are coming from, itā€™s set on Coruscant and thereā€™s some light politics and thatā€™s it.

He cannot. Not even with the good crayons.
He should. And the opening of the episode is very much worth watching. The middle segment is not only poorly done but it's also serving a darker, more malevolent purpose that we would do well not to openly name.

Itā€™s nothing like Andor, dunno where these comparisons are coming from, itā€™s set on Coruscant and thereā€™s some light politics and thatā€™s it.
Ah so it's a surface level comparison. That's OK.
I liked Andor, but without the good writing and dialogue, it wouldn't have worked.
I don't think Favreau could pull off a show like Andor, his writing just isn't good enough.
I have room for both, shows like Andor and shows like Mando.
I would have liked to keep the momentum going with Din and Bo and carry on that plot line.
Ep2 started to get things going after the meh first episode. Going off on a tangent for ep3 might not be the best idea.

Ah so it's a surface level comparison. That's OK.
I liked Andor, but without the good writing and dialogue, it wouldn't have worked.
I don't think Favreau could pull off a show like Andor, his writing just isn't good enough.
I have room for both, shows like Andor and shows like Mando.
I would have liked to keep the momentum going with Din and Bo and carry on that plot line.
Ep2 started to get things going after the meh first episode. Going off on a tangent for ep3 might not be the best idea.
Bo is once again the highlight in this episode.

:LOL: ...you're free to disagree, of course -- but I would ask you to compare the dialogue and internal logic of this segment to any episode of Andor:

I think it's self-evident that the writing is dumbed down, the characters come across as childish, and the situations stretch suspension of disbelief further than Andor's plot devices.

I think it's aping the quieter tone and psychological sketches, but it's very clumsy in direct comparison.

I'll disagree; in that IMO Andor often had the slow burn pace, which I'm good with, IMO it's realistic, if not to a lot of the audiences' taste - any more than some on YT just can't stand the fact that Bo-Katan kicked butt last show - 'coz it's "supposed" to be Mando as butt-kicker, all of the time.

I'm shallow enough tho šŸ˜ that while for THIS show - not sure most of an episode needed to be devoted to this plot thread, maybe it was written into contracts. But I did appreciate the slow gentle corruption that went on.:snake

On the other hand some intriguing threads were left hanging, and based on the trailer assume the show will be ratcheting things up.

He cannot. Not even with the good crayons.

He should. And the opening of the episode is very much worth watching. The middle segment is not only poorly done but it's also serving a darker, more malevolent purpose that we would do well not to openly name.

Could you elaborate on this please?

I fear I know what you are referring to, but I need to know for certain.

I could watch it myself, but I'm not in a position to watch until much later today.

I thought folks who really liked Andor might like the middle part. I personally found Andor to be sort of boring (yeah, I know, I have no taste or culture whatsoever).
Well for me, yeah, except going into season 3 Mando, I've got vague expectations of what I expect to see. :lsvader

So having to re-calibrate is a bit jarring. Andor tho, I expect the tension to ratchet slowly. Did think SW uber-fans would enjoy this tho. It was an interesting take
Spoiler Spoiler:

Could you elaborate on this please?

I fear I know what you are referring to, but I need to know for certain.

I could watch it myself, but I'm not in a position to watch until much later today.
Spoiler Spoiler:

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with exactly?
"I can't imagine how anyone can compare that segment to Andor as an equivalent. It's like Favreau or whoever tried to mimic Andor with crayons on their juice and cookies break. It's a laughably poor copy at best."

Thought the writing and buildup, and acting, was pretty good. Not the exact grittiness and ever present sense of despair, hopelessness, and grim determination of Andor - but this is a different series.

So yeah, the pacing, and not being sure of a character's motivations until the end - and still not sure - reminded me of Andor.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Thanks man.

If this is indeed the direction it is headed (and is so explicit in it's direction that it cannot be compartmentalised and wrapped up in its on way), then that's a real shame. I genuinely thought they wouldn't be going down this route so directly, given the time gap in the chronology. Dammit.

Well itā€™s horses for courses so to speak. The writing for me wasnā€™t dumbed down, the performances were good and I enjoyed the operation paper clip connotations.
Star Wars, for me, has always been an eclectic mix of tone. It can be dark, whimsical, thoughtful, goofy, scary, exciting and yes even a bit childish at times, but thatā€™s why I love it.

As I surmised last week, Bo-Katan is keeping the existence of the Mythosaur to herself for now. Between that and her now being "redeemed" as well, things are bound to get very interesting when it comes to the leadership of the Mandalorians. But man is Bo going to have a bad hair day when she finally takes off that helmet again lol.

It seems obvious to me that
Spoiler Spoiler:

Last edited:
"I can't imagine how anyone can compare that segment to Andor as an equivalent. It's like Favreau or whoever tried to mimic Andor with crayons on their juice and cookies break. It's a laughably poor copy at best."

Thought the writing and buildup, and acting, was pretty good. Not the exact grittiness and ever present sense of despair, hopelessness, and grim determination of Andor - but this is a different series.

So yeah, the pacing, and not being sure of a character's motivations until the end - and still not sure - reminded me of Andor.
I don't mean this in a pejorative sense, having interacted with you a lot, but wow, it's like we watched two different things. Our opinion aligns in very broad strokes as I said: "I think it's aping the quieter tone and psychological sketches, but it's very clumsy in direct comparison."

But you really think it's reasonably well done ... huh. Very well then. You seem to be giving it a pass on context.

I found Andor kind of a boring grind...I guess that's the comparison I was making. And no, I don't want to debate anyone on Andor, I didn't love it, others did. That's 100% cool with me. As Mandible said, Eps 1 and 2 felt like a toy commercial...I love a good toy commercial.

Thanks man.

If this is indeed the direction it is headed (and is so explicit in it's direction that it cannot be compartmentalised and wrapped up in its on way), then that's a real shame. I genuinely thought they wouldn't be going down this route so directly, given the time gap in the chronology. Dammit.
Spoiler Spoiler:

It seems obvious to me that
Spoiler Spoiler:

Not a bad take -- I read it as them
Spoiler Spoiler:

Back