The Mandalorian (Star Wars Live Action Series)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She has died twice. I dunno why people have such a hate boner for her, she's a well written character which can't be said for many Star Wars characters.
She's all right from a character development standpoint (as I can remember, anyway), I think what makes me hate with enthusiasm is that she's ubiquitous and I'm just not a big fan of most of what Filoni does.

She's all right from a character development standpoint (as I can remember, anyway), I think what makes me hate with enthusiasm is that she's ubiquitous and I'm just not a big fan of most of what Filoni does.
Star Wars fans when Filoni characters appear in Filoni shows.

1679350772772.png

I don't see anyone complaining about Bo-Katan.

She has died twice. I dunno why people have such a hate boner for her, she's a well written character which can't be said for many Star Wars characters.
1) Coz I can't get past the idea of the arguably occasionally psychotic Anakin having a padawan; 2) said Padawan when introduced resembles a Funko POP; 3) idiotic nicknames; 4) highly questionable advanced skill set including battle planning; 5) basically unkillable; 6) Filoni apparently ordering a far more lively actress to try to imitate the gravity of Jean-Luc Picard or, Yoda; 7) tendency to pop up everywhere, like R2D2.

But I wouldn't say I have a hate boner for the character, who at least in the Clone Wars improved with age. It's more like, when you go to a Tex-Mex place, and they inevitably give you refried beans, even tho I don't remember personally seeing anyone eat them. Ever. But those beans always show up, like they are following you cross country. :stake

Star Wars fans when Filoni characters appear in Filoni shows.

View attachment 629133

I don't see anyone complaining about Bo-Katan.
First of all, where did you find that photo of me?

Second, when Bo gets inserted into everything everywhere all at once riding Space Whales, I will complain! :lecture

On a more serious note maybe I just haven't been exposed to Bo as much for whatever reason, but I'm just not that into Ahsoka likely because of the Jedi/mysticism/magic thing which -- for my personal taste -- got way out of hand and even more convoluted on Filoni's watch. Yes, I get that Lucas didn't exactly leave well enough alone either.

Empire Strikes Back is legitimately one of the best directed movies I've ever seen. Obviously the story is incredible, but Kershner really ties it together in a way that is really inspired. Something like Yoda could be SO unbearably goofy when he does his fake persona that the fact it was an act would be silly in a worse movie.

Obviously everyone loves Empire but it can never be praised enough for the type of overall movie it is. Truly a masterwork and one of the greatest films ever made. It’s unreal how high the expectations were and it SURPASSED them. Imagine a blockbuster surpassing expectations today, especially a Star Wars movie.
It’s the only SW that utterly transcends SW, although on a rewatch I might think that about Andor. I like The Mandalorian but is has never and I don’t think ever will talk about anything as meaningful as what Empire does. Most tv these days is incredibly superficial, even ones that purport to be “deep and meaningful”.

One of my favorite aspects is the set design and lighting they did with the carbon freezing chamber. Those blues and oranges are stark and truly inspired and in an incredible cinematic way tell us everything that we know is coming. And then combined with Williams’ masterful thumping music. The definition of space opera and then some.

And it’s incredibly spiritual as well. In a really deep non superficial way. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. I constantly think about this in my day to day life and try (and fail miserably) to live up to that statement about who we are, why we are here and what really matters.

It’s lost none of its remarkable power over the years.

1) Coz I can't get past the idea of the arguably occasionally psychotic Anakin having a padawan; 2) said Padawan when introduced resembles a Funko POP; 3) idiotic nicknames; 4) highly questionable advanced skill set including battle planning; 5) basically unkillable; 6) Filoni apparently ordering a far more lively actress to try to imitate the gravity of Jean-Luc Picard or, Yoda; 7) tendency to pop up everywhere, like R2D2.

But I wouldn't say I have a hate boner for the character, who at least in the Clone Wars improved with age. It's more like, when you go to a Tex-Mex place, and they inevitably give you refried beans, even tho I don't remember personally seeing anyone eat them. Ever. But those beans always show up, like they are following you cross country. :stake
Almost every protagonsit every is basically unkillable, if they weren't there'd be no stories, how is this a critique? I don't get it :lol.

Filoni is gonna use his characters in his shows where he sees fit, no different from Marvel characters showing up in movies/shows that don't have their name on the title.
First of all, where did you find that photo of me?

Second, when Bo gets inserted into everything everywhere all at once riding Space Whales, I will complain! :lecture

On a more serious note maybe I just haven't been exposed to Bo as much for whatever reason, but I'm just not that into Ahsoka likely because of the Jedi/mysticism/magic thing which -- for my personal taste -- got way out of hand and even more convoluted on Filoni's watch. Yes, I get that Lucas didn't exactly leave well enough alone either.
Bo has been in Clone Wars, Rebels and Mando just like Ahsoka. Only think she hasn't been in that Ahsoka has been in is BOBF :dunno.
Mando is world-weary badass who seared his own thigh like short ribs on a grill. Ahsoka is Filoni's version of a Disney princess who can do cartwheels without her skirt flipping up.
All Jedi suck then. And Mando isn't really that much of a bad ass, especially this season.

Also Lucas co-created Ahsoka with Filoni, so there's that. And you can blame Lucas for the skirt.
1679354608243.png

Almost every protagonsit every is basically unkillable, if they weren't there'd be no stories, how is this a critique? I don't get it :lol.

Filoni is gonna use his characters in his shows where he sees fit, no different from Marvel characters showing up in movies/shows that don't have their name on the title.

Bo has been in Clone Wars, Rebels and Mando just like Ahsoka. Only think she hasn't been in that Ahsoka has been in is BOBF :dunno.

All Jedi suck then. And Mando isn't really that much of a bad ass, especially this season.

Also Lucas co-created Ahsoka with Filoni, so there's that. And you can blame Lucas for the skirt.
Mando most definitely is a badass, he put a head in a sack on a dinner table. And he took the head himself, so...

I'll give George a pass because he's probably under a lot of stress from KK, tho realistically the only female action hero who should be wearing a tube top is LeeLu from the Fifth Element.

Or, George remained a master marketer and could see the appeal a tube top and skirt would have for young girls along with a kind of office boyfriend.

Mando most definitely is a badass, he put a head in a sack on a dinner table. And he took the head himself, so...
He got spit roasted, and not in the good way, this season and had to be saved by a baby in a floating crib.

Then he almost drowned because he didn’t realise his metal armour would be too heavy to swim in.

Inept.

...but don't forget he was rescued - twice in the same episode - by the strong girl character and had to give the other strong girl character a vial of dirty water to get back into CLUB THISISTHEWAY. That was after he was taken advantage of again by strong girl character shady con artist. And as mentioned above, saved by a magic plush toy in a floating crib. Emasculation and humiliation complete! All in ONE episode!

Anyone left harboring the illusion that KK has nothing to do with this show or any of the other content coming out of Lucasfilm may be fooling themselves.

If this keeps up, what reason will there be to keep watching this? Mando who?

And it’s incredibly spiritual as well. In a really deep non superficial way. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. I constantly think about this in my day to day life and try (and fail miserably) to live up to that statement about who we are, why we are here and what really matters.

When I rewatch the original trilogy, and as I get older, I think a little bit more about Wedge, Biggs, Dak, Porkins, Red Leader, etc, etc.

Let's say you are on a poor planet, not much opportunity, you don't want to die in the same old small town with the same people feeling like your life is slipping away. That's a pretty relatable kind of feeling for a lot of young people. Then you join up. You're idealistic and you don't quite know exactly what you are getting into until it's too late.

Sometimes I weigh that out when I see the trench run scene. I wonder if Red Leader or Gold Leader were just doing what was the most practical to feed their families. I.E. it's just a job to them. The best they could do given their situation.

Luke leaves Yoda to go save his friends. But if you think about it, the only real "family" he has left. The Empire killed everyone else from his past. And even though it looks hopeless and futile, you never quite go all the way over the edge that all hope is lost. There is where I think Irvin Kershner really did a wonderful balancing act.

The price of hope is sacrifice. That's where Empire always gets me. Han going out on that Taun Taun, to find Luke, even if it's essentially a close to impossible suicide mission. Then it ramps up, at each stage, someone must give up something of great meaning to them for a greater good. Those are timeless themes. It's a story the audience can relate to in their own lives. It's an interesting dive into the overall human condition.

I'd really like to see a show about the pilots. Not just new ones, but going backwards and looking at the ones who died. It's too bad Patty Jenkins just straight out blew that opportunity so she could turn WW84 into a personal bully pulpit.

I remember when Roseanne first came out. And it was so jarring. Because people were used to the Cosbys, Family Ties, Different Strokes, etc, etc, and never got to explore what happened to people on the fringes. If you ask me, that's why Rogue One and Andor just hit way different and were/are far more critically praised than most of the other newer stuff. Roseanne and Dan and their kids were just constantly struggling and their problems were grim. It wasn't canned safe narratives like the Cosby Show.

Empire was true to the characters and true to the story.

The Abrams newer stuff was just true to the marketing and true to formulating a product. It's visual Velveeta.

Something interesting I thought about a few months ago is that you couldn't make Braveheart today in current times. Not the same way. And that should indicate that good storytelling is being beat down by some algorithms.

Empire is incredible though. You could construct full TV shows and separate films just from expanding on many of the scenes in the movie. It was that layered and that rich.

The reason we ***** about Ahsoka being unkillable is because back when she first appeared it was understood that she would/should indeed, die. At the time, there was still the understanding that once all was said and done, the only Jedi left would be Yoda and Obi-Wan, which we've known since 1980. From her creation and insertion into the story, she had a built-in countdown timer like the people in Logan's Run.

If they wanted to add a new character but didn't want to utterly destroy the established continuity, Ahsoka had to go at some point.

Well....in the end, we've seen what matters. Trashing decades worth of continuity is far more important than killing off the precious new fan-fic characters, so Ahsoka lives. And lives again. And again. And now here we are and she's just hanging out with Luke Skywalker.

"Continuity" was always a rather fluid concept even under George, but I kind of gave it a side-eyed pass, cause come on...it's George! But George hasn't been involved in some time now, and the Disney crew is just pulling all kind of things out of their ass now. Oh well.

And for the record, I absolutely love those fried beans at Mexican restaurants and devour them whenever I have the chance.

Episode 3 subtly hinted the appearance of Grand Admiral Thrawn, probably at some point within Season 3...just wait and see.

Episode 3 subtly hinted the appearance of Grand Admiral Thrawn, probably at some point within Season 3...just wait and see.
They did? I think I must have missed it. Where abouts was it in the episode?
I remember hearing something about Disney considering a movie trilogy based on Thrawn. Thrawn was a strategic genius, and I'm not even sure if George could pull it off, let alone Disney. Would be a shame if they didn't get Timothy Zahn involved if they are working on a script.

They did? I think I must have missed it. Where abouts was it in the episode?
I remember hearing something about Disney considering a movie trilogy based on Thrawn. Thrawn was a strategic genius, and I'm not even sure if George could pull it off, let alone Disney. Would be a shame if they didn't get Timothy Zahn involved if they are working on a script. Bo Katan's phrase "way too many TIE interceptors for just a warlord"
1- Bo's phrase "way too many TIE interceptors for a warlord"

2 - the method of Gideon's tomboy ex-communication officer ruthlessly eradicated the doctor's memory indicated she's still working as double agent for a much higher Imperial authority (Gideon is obviously off the list due to his incarceration)

(1) +(2) = Thrawn. I suspect the ending of Season 3 will lead to the opening of Ahsoka series.

They did imply Gideon may have escaped in that first scene at the amnesty base didn't they? I doubt they drop that without payoff.

I do think this still connects to Thrawn though, I feel it's likely that Gideon is his 'Tarkin' if you will.

The reason we ***** about Ahsoka being unkillable is because back when she first appeared it was understood that she would/should indeed, die. At the time, there was still the understanding that once all was said and done, the only Jedi left would be Yoda and Obi-Wan, which we've known since 1980. From her creation and insertion into the story, she had a built-in countdown timer like the people in Logan's Run.

If they wanted to add a new character but didn't want to utterly destroy the established continuity, Ahsoka had to go at some point.

Well....in the end, we've seen what matters. Trashing decades worth of continuity is far more important than killing off the precious new fan-fic characters, so Ahsoka lives. And lives again. And again. And now here we are and she's just hanging out with Luke Skywalker.

"Continuity" was always a rather fluid concept even under George, but I kind of gave it a side-eyed pass, cause come on...it's George! But George hasn't been involved in some time now, and the Disney crew is just pulling all kind of things out of their ass now. Oh well.

And for the record, I absolutely love those fried beans at Mexican restaurants and devour them whenever I have the chance.
Well, I'm glad I didn't have any backstory on Ahsoka before she appeared in The Mandalorian. I love both the character and the actress and have no problems whatsoever with her (still) being around in this era. My life is awesome ✌️😎

Back