The Mandalorian (Star Wars Live Action Series)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thrawn is a fascinating character. If you haven’t read Zahn’s 6 new canon novels about him, I highly recommend them. He’s easily one of my favorite Star Wars characters and I cannot wait to see him on screen in live action at some point (HT please!). I doubt he’s more than just a name or at most a shadowy reveal of his back. Ahsoka is where he’s most likely to show up given what they’ve set up. But they could still build him up a bit here before that happens.

...but how? I ask yet again: in what universe do Thrawn and Mando collide? Thrawn has abba-so-LUTELY nothing to do with any Mandalorian issue, that I'm aware of. That is such a far reach that it's absolutely galactic.

I dont have anything against Thrawn, I'm just not understanding why he would be exactly here, at this time in this part of the galaxy. Would not Mandalore be beneath his notice? What would bring him to Mandalore?

^^^ Oh, you're right - blue boy has nothing to do with Mando per se...and will likely have nothing to do (fingers crossed) with the Mando story.
No, I think munch has a point...it's more likely Thrawn is getting that white suit dry-cleaned for Ashoka. That quick line from Captain Carson Teva in the trailer was probably directed at someone else (Bail Organa? Mon Mothma? Ashoka?) having a quick cameo to drop crumbs for the next show.

edit: Sorry Jay - I never really got into the Rebels cartoon so I missed all that.

Oops, deleted my reply because it became too long winded.

Basically, Ahsoka is gonna springboard off Mando with Sabine and their story is what will bring Thrawn back into the picture.

It’d be pretty cool to see the kind of political chess Thrawn and Gideon use to navigate each other as I’m sure both will wanna be the main guy during the Empire’s “restructuring.”

Looks ok, but I'm growing tired of Grogu. Grogu should've stayed with Luke for a bit so Mando could've had a solo season on Mandalore without having to worry about him, and then reunite them in season 4. But, it's Disney and they need the cash cow for the kiddies. Although the market seems saturated with Grogu merch that isn't selling nearly as well as in the beginning. So not the best strategy.

It seems the industry has forgotten how to build anticipation for/towards something. They want it all now.

Mando/Grogu is derivative of Lone Wolf And Cub. I have a hard time seeing Baby Yoda departing as such.

...but how? I ask yet again: in what universe do Thrawn and Mando collide? Thrawn has abba-so-LUTELY nothing to do with any Mandalorian issue, that I'm aware of. That is such a far reach that it's absolutely galactic.

I dont have anything against Thrawn, I'm just not understanding why he would be exactly here, at this time in this part of the galaxy. Would not Mandalore be beneath his notice? What would bring him to Mandalore?

Thor became a morbidly obese alcoholic and coped as a PTSD ridden gamer who spent his days drinking melted ice cream. I'm pretty sure that anything is possible under The Big Mouse now.

I'm cool with Thrawn showing up if it's well written. He's like a space version of Colin Powell, if Powell was an art history major who spit out dialogue like he was written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

fill in the slot of incarnated Moff Gideon.

Sending in Thrawn to hunt Mando strikes me like sending in a four-star general and an entire battalion to hunt the perpetrators of a smash-and-grab at the corner bodega..... Idk

I think Thrawn would equate Mandalore with the bodega. As in, not much.

Well, I would never expect to see Order 66 flashback from this Mando series in the first place, but it is actually happening...so everything is technically possible as long as the plot makes sense. On the other hand, completely crushing the collective attempt to liberate Mandalore from these dangerous Mandalorian seems not to be an easy task..not ?

Sending in Thrawn to hunt Mando strikes me like sending in a four-star general and an entire battalion to hunt the perpetrators of a smash-and-grab at the corner bodega..... Idk

I think Thrawn would equate Mandalore with the bodega. As in, not much.

maxresdefault.jpg

You make it sound like Dave Filoni has never taken a drink of tap water in his entire life.

If Thrawn shows up, great. Maybe he works out. Maybe he's the 2nd coming of the Scooter Gang instead. I'm willing to give it a chance. Your mileage is probably different and that's OK too.

You make it sound like Dave Filoni has never taken a drink of tap water in his entire life.

Frankly, after BoBF I am wondering if he has. My belief in his judgement has significantly declined after that debacle.

If the Mando series goes sideways, well..... nothing lasts forever. We have two good seasons to look back on.

fill in the slot of incarnated Moff Gideon.

When Thrawn was conceived, he was a product of his "time"

Back then, villians were making a major transformation in film. Thrawn is highly derivative of Hannibal Lector in Silence of the Lambs and Alan Rickman in Die Hard. Aimed at a more refined threat with a more introspective look at his psychotic pathology.

If Thrawn was conceived a decade ago, he'd probably be more like Tony Soprano.

If Thrawn was conceived today, he'd be a outright bigot and racist that's a product of long standing corrupt institutions.

That there are fans who say Thrawn doesn't quite fit into modern Star Wars narratives, I'm not quite sure they are right, but they probably have a point. Imagine Michael Burnham having a real conversation with Quark from ST-DS9. She's sitting there crying, and if Quark said anything like he did on his show, he's a bigot with big ears.

The Mandalorian is an homage to Kurosawa, just like A New Hope was an homage to Kurosawa. If Thrawn shows up, he's just a proxy for the corrupt institutions that helped to erode the beauty and purity of the samurai culture.

Yeah, It looks like crap... That said, I'd still take a badly staged Mandalorian over a cinematic looking Andor any day of the week
Guess I'm not eagle-eyed enough to understand why the Volume seems to be getting crapped on.
Like way back during Mando Season 1, there's scenes I was mildly bummed out finding out they weren't actually on location. E.g. to me it's pretty great tech.

Let's just have this show concentrate on Mando's story please...and not worry so much about lining up the next product like Marvel does. We see what that's brought us....

I've been whining about that since Season 2:cuss when the series slid into rehash and/or the Ahsoka commercial episode, tho having Mando take over BF equalized things :monkey3

Yeah I'm hyped:monkey5 tho TBH think the leaked SDCC trailer was the best, plus the crowd reaction. I would have stopped there. But just the few trailer lines, as an arc, Mando seems to have come a long way, from the stoic, by the code bounty hunter to questioning a world view. Luv that it's an actual character building arc, broken down and rebuilt.

Looking forward to it! Maybe in the minority but I’m glad Mando and Grogu are back together. The bond between the two gives the series heart. I know many want the man with no name bounty hunting across the galaxy unteathered to any emotional ties but I prefer this. Now, if they gave me that in BOBF I’d be all good…alas.

IMO they shouldn't have been separated, at least not like that, just to make sure a cash cow was put with a legacy cash cow. I still miss when you never knew what Grogu would do next, and neither did Mando.
Plus Andor. Am less enthused about Ahosoka/Sabine/Thrawn or maybe just wary. Loved Rebels, but moving to live action - the Obi series keeps reminding me what not having good writers is like. :pfft:Plus, you have to have the right actors who have more than 2 facial expressions.

Last edited:
Oops, deleted my reply because it became too long winded.

Basically, Ahsoka is gonna springboard off Mando with Sabine and their story is what will bring Thrawn back into the picture.

It’d be pretty cool to see the kind of political chess Thrawn and Gideon use to navigate each other as I’m sure both will wanna be the main guy during the Empire’s “restructuring.”
As long as they hire an actor that's believable and actually looks like Thrawn, and not like the Grand Inquisitor WTF. One of my favorite villains ruined.:monkey2

Pretty sure Lars Mikkelsen who voices him in the cartoons is playing him.
782g87.gif

Though likley in the Ahsoka and Ezra show.
Not sure how the discussion became about him taking over Mando's show?

Though likley Mando + Ahsoka + Fett (and whatever Cara Dunes Republic Rangers was supposed to be or will morph into) will connect, towards the end of Mando S4, with them allying to defeat Thrawn.
Why him? This era is likley the best place to drop him in as a main bad, as both the Empire and Republic are in flux, and someone like Thrawn would take advantage to fill that power void. Unless they want to drop in a Xizor/or Crimson Dawn style mob boss, which would actually make it more interesting, especially on Fett's side of things now.
I'm sure most any Thrawn elements will be in the Ahsoka show though, as she is the one who name-dropped him, and is actively looking for him.

Last edited:
Pretty sure Lars Mikkelsen who voices him in the cartoons is playing him.
782g87.gif

Though likley in the Ahsoka and Ezra show.
Not sure how the discussion became about him taking over Mando's show?

Though likley the shows + Fett (and whatever Cara Dunes Republic Rangers was supposed to be or will morph into) will connect, towrds the end of Mando S4, with them allying to defeat Thrawn.
Why him? This era is likley the best place to drop him in as a main bad, as both the Empire and Republic are in flux, and someone like Thrawn would take advantage to fill that power void. Unless they want to drop in a Xizor/Red Dawn style mob boss, which would actually make it more interesting, especially on Fett's side of things now.
I'm sure most any Thrawn elements will be in the Ahsoka show though, as she is the one who name-dropped him, and is actively looking for him.

It might make sense Gideon is answering to Thrawn, but that's a lot of backstory explaining to do re Thrawn, all things considered after Rebels. Gideon is such a *&^% in his own right, it'd take someone pretty up the food chain that he'd answer too. Also if Mando has a failing (besides the Cara debacle) 2 seasons in, and we don't know much about Gideon, at all.

Some prat named Rob Bricken over on the Gizmodo blog site has this to say about the new trailer:

"Here's the one thing that bugs me: How much of this Mandalore lore is going to make sense to people who havent watched the entireity of Dave Filoni's other work? It feels like its getting increasingly self-referential - or at least all the dude wants to do is tell stories about Mandalore. There's a big, wide galaxy out there, and the best part of "The Mandalorian" has been getting to see parts of Star Wars we haven't seen before."

*clutches pearls* WHAT, he wants to tell stories about Mandalore?! THE HORROR

NO DUH and what we have not seen in live-action is.... Mandalore. We want to see it, thanks. I was gratified to see that many others were low-level dragging him over this statement in the comments.

I dont have enough eyes to eye-roll with for this one, either. 🤔

Back